Niagara Icedogs 2024-25 Season, Part I

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Team is off to a hot start after 3 tough seasons and clowns on this board are arguing over attendance numbers. Pathetic losers who want the team to fail because of DD. Well the rough years are over and the new kids and an underappreciated goalie with carry them to success
I don’t think anyone wants the team to fail. But they are concerned with how DD runs the team.

I think the IceDogs will have a decent season but I am still not convinced the IceDogs will be okay long term with how the owner runs the team. Maybe he will change his ways and stop putting money before wins but I have my doubts.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Less than half the seats occupied. I'm saying 2400 in the building.

Meridian Centre IceDogs Home Openers
…the announced attendance (Sunday Oct 6, 2024) is the lowest attended MC home opener (excluding the covid limited capacity game).

NFL Week Five - 1
IceDogs Sunday - 0

24-25. 3289 Sunday
23-24. 4365 Saturday
22-23. 3737 Thursday
21-22. 3276 Saturday (covid limited capacity sellout).
20-21. No OHL Season
19-20. 4753 Thursday
18-19. 5300 Friday (sellout)
17-18. 4768 Friday
16-17. 4707 Friday
15-16. 4337 Thursday
14-15. 5300 Saturday (sellout)

Amazing game.

Buy a ticket people. This is a fun team to watch.

He with 6 points!!!!!
IMO being eminently fair, the IceDogs first three wins were not particularly impressive, but beating Brampton, in the manner they did, was extremely impressive!

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
IceDogs’ young Fs... Kevin He, Ryan Roobroeck, Braidy Wassilyn and Max Crete! Are all legit! Braidy and Max were two of my favourite u16 all last year. It’s exciting to see them make an instant impact.

4th round NHL Draft? I was confident Kevin He was going to make some scout look like a genius and the others look foolish.

In the 2024-25 Hockey News Yearbook, Kevin He was placed among some good Top 10 company…

1728301531079.png

Reactions: three dog night

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I don’t think anyone wants the team to fail. But they are concerned with how DD runs the team.

I think the IceDogs will have a decent season but I am still not convinced the IceDogs will be okay long term with how the owner runs the team. Maybe he will change his ways and stop putting money before wins but I have my doubts.
Great post! Attendance numbers in the OHL are important and should be something fans of a team are concerned about.

The on-ice product, the off-ice quality (and there are some issues again, sorry) and attendance figures are all interconnected. Without a solid fan base the product on and off the ice ultimately suffers. OHL franchises that possess significant financial income have the means to be more successful in all aspects.

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
IMO, the OA situation is not that complicated from a fan perspective. The three best OAs are Flores, Loshko and Bryant. NVV has not been overly impressive to unseed one of those three.

Bryant’s offense is going to be needed soon. IceDogs have a some Fs not contributing and likely won’t this year. Bryant is a proven offensive contributor.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Meridian Centre IceDogs Home Openers
…the announced attendance (Sunday Oct 6, 2024) is the lowest attended MC home opener (excluding the covid limited capacity game).

NFL Week Five - 1
IceDogs Sunday - 0

24-25. 3289 Sunday
23-24. 4365 Saturday
22-23. 3737 Thursday
21-22. 3276 Saturday (covid limited capacity sellout).
20-21. No OHL Season
19-20. 4753 Thursday
18-19. 5300 Friday (sellout)
17-18. 4768 Friday
16-17. 4707 Friday
15-16. 4337 Thursday
14-15. 5300 Saturday (sellout)

IMO being eminently fair, the IceDogs first three wins were not particularly impressive, but beating Brampton, in the manner they did, was extremely impressive!
I have to disagree, the game against Oshawa was impressive in two ways: 1) their resilience after a slow start; and 2) the way they dominated the second and third periods.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
IMO, the OA situation is not that complicated from a fan perspective. The three best OAs are Flores, Loshko and Bryant. NVV has not been overly impressive to unseed one of those three.

Bryant’s offense is going to be needed soon. IceDogs have a some Fs not contributing and likely won’t this year. Bryant is a proven offensive contributor.

VanVliet has been rock solid defensively. He is not the OA to move right now imo. The team has allowed just 10 goals in four games, and the goalies(s) have a 0.934 SV% in large part due a much, much improved defence.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I have to disagree, the game against Oshawa was impressive in two ways: 1) their resilience after a slow start; and 2) the way they dominated the second and third periods.
Their play in the win over Oshawa was a drastic improvement over the their play in their first two wins, but not nearly as impressive as the complete game against Brampton.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
VanVliet has been rock solid defensively. He is not the OA to move right now imo. The team has allowed just 10 goals in four games, and the goalies(s) have a 0.934 SV% in large part due a much, much improved defence.
I've watched and re-watched him throughout training camp, preseason and the regular season and I have to agree with the fans in Sudbury, he's just too slow, looks like a pylon at time. Flores, Bryant and Loshko are all better and more valuable than NVV.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
OMG. You're still posting on here and still haven't answered a single question!!! Wow! How much lower can you stoop. That's embarrassing.

Do you need me to repost the questions AGAIN?

I also saw the interview of Boudreau praising the team for it’s acquisitions on defence

You still have several unanswered questions. First one, ….

:popcorn:

Sept. 28, 2024 (FLINT FORUM)

Sam14 said: You guys are going to be so impressed with Frolov! He was logging top pair minutes, in every situation, by the last third of the season. Artem had evolved into the IceDogs' top D as a 16 year old. An absolute steal! I can tell you Ben didn't want to see him go!

dirty12 said: Ben is thrilled with the new look IceDogs D, seems he can’t say it enough.

Sept. 28, 2024 (FLINT FORUM and NIAGARA FORUM)

Sam14 said: I’ve figured out quickly you avoid answering direct questions but let me try again…
Have you personally met and spoken to Ben before or after the trade?
2. What exactly would his thoughts on some of his current D have to do with how he felt (and his thoughts) about losing Frolov?

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Why don't you two meet up at the MC during an intermission and talk this out over a cold Carlsburg Light.
hahaha. Sure, as long as it's not on a Sunday. FYI, he's not an IceDog fan nor does he live in the Niagara region. So take the commentary of an OHL fan (that at best could be compared to the casual IceDog fan) for what it's worth. He has never met or spoken to DD, as many of us have.

On (and off) this site, are some hard core highly knowledgeable 2007est IceDog fans that have invested a significant time, passion and financial support into this franchise since it arrived. These fans fully understand when a franchise is being run properly on and off the ice. Can't fool those STHs who have been forced to bail out!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You still have several unanswered questions. First one, ….

:popcorn:

Sam14 said: You guys are going to be so impressed with Frolov! He was logging top pair minutes, in every situation, by the last third of the season. Artem had evolved into the IceDogs' top D as a 16 year old. An absolute steal! I can tell you Ben didn't want to see him go!

dirty12 said: Ben is thrilled with the new look IceDogs D, seems he can’t say it enough.

Sept. 28, 2024 (FLINT FORUM and NIAGARA FORUM)

Sam14 said: I’ve figured out quickly you avoid answering direct questions but let me try again…
Have you personally met and spoken to Ben before or after the trade?
2. What exactly would his thoughts on some of his current D have to do with how he felt (and his thoughts) about losing Frolov?

4-0, just 10 goals allowed with no more than 3 in any game. I have no doubt Boudreau is thrilled; and considering Frolov would be a 6-7 D on the current IceDogs, I’m sure no one but you cares about Frolov.

Reactions: mattommy98

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
4-0, just 10 goals allowed with no more than 3 in any game. I have no doubt Boudreau is thrilled; and considering Frolov would be a 6-7 D on the current IceDogs, I’m sure no one but you cares about Frolov.
You must be a politician! Why are you even posting on here if you won't / can't answer simple questions regarding your comments related to the IceDogs team, players and trades. I don't want to call you out unfairly, but you're not an IceDogs fan, so are you just trolling?

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I’m sure no one but you cares about Frolov.
As an outsider, of course you don't care, however, IceDog fans invested in this team's past, present and future do care (check the massive STH exodus numbers). You're not focussed at all on the “issue” that was of concern to IceDog fans.

You yourself stated, on here, the trade was on over-pay. We agree. So, if you’re the IceDogs GM (building around its 07-08 core because context is important here), which trade do you make?

a. 06 D Jack Brauti for 07 D Artem Frolov

b. 06 D Jack Brauti for Draft Picks 2nd, 3rd , 3rd.

c. 06 D Jack Brauti for 07 D Artem Frolov and Draft Picks 2nd, 3rd , 3rd.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As an outsider, of course you don't care, however, IceDog fans invested in this team's past, present and future do care (check the massive STH exodus numbers). You're not focussed at all on the “issue” that was of concern to IceDog fans.

You yourself stated, on here, the trade was on over-pay. We agree. So, if you’re the IceDogs GM (building around its 07-08 core because context is important here), which trade do you make?

a. 06 D Jack Brauti for 07 D Artem Frolov

b. 06 D Jack Brauti for Draft Picks 2nd, 3rd , 3rd.

c. 06 D Jack Brauti for 07 D Artem Frolov and Draft Picks 2nd, 3rd , 3rd.

A. Is a joke.
B. Would not have facilitated a Flint-Barrie trade, so was not happening.
[C] Was 2,3,4 picks I believe. I thought it was an overpayment even though for 2-3 years the team would be better for it.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
A. Is a joke.
B. Would not have facilitated a Flint-Barrie trade, so was not happening.
[C] Was 2,3,4 picks I believe. I thought it was an overpayment even though for 2-3 years the team would be better for it.

The picks were 2, 3, 3.

The "question" is you "as the GM of IceDogs, not as a pawn to facilitate a trade between Barrie and Flint", which one of those trades would you agree to, with the best interest of your team building around the 07-08 core, that you have told the fans is the plan?

Answer is only one letter a, b, or c ?? Which trade would you make?

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I've watched and re-watched him throughout training camp, preseason and the regular season and I have to agree with the fans in Sudbury, he's just too slow, looks like a pylon at time. Flores, Bryant and Loshko are all better and more valuable than NVV.
Talked to someone in the biz lastnight who said NVV is the last of the OA's that should be moved based on Niagara's need for defense experience and toughness.

Said they should keep all 4 as long as possible, move one of Loskho or Flores closer to the deadline for picks for next year.

Reactions: dirty12

Dogs Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2019
St, Catharines
We have arrived!!!

We are now 9th in the OHL power rankings and the only undefeated team in the entire CHL.

"
Niagara IceDogs – up six spots to #6 this week
All aboard the Niagara IceDogs hype train! The Dogs, who didn’t make the preseason edition of OHL Power Rankings, are all the way up to ninth just two weeks in following big wins over a pair of top-5 teams in Oshawa and Brampton over the weekend. Winnipeg Jets prospect Kevin He exploded for six points on Sunday and has racked up 11 over just four contests. Rookies Braidy Wassilyn and Max Crete have also found their way into the offence."

Dogs Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2019
St, Catharines
Standard article

Top dogs in CHL: Niagara IceDogs only undefeated team in major junior hockey after home-opening victory

I love this quote:

Boudreau, whose No. 1 goaltender, Owen Flores, received a two-game misconduct for fighting, suggested the team has a “’Dog-pack” mentality when it comes to sticking up for one another.
“If one’s in trouble, we’ve got five guys coming,” he said. “Like I said, we do everything as a team, and I think it’s really starting to show.”

Speaking of doing everything as a team. I saw the team walking down St. Paul street together around noon on Saturday. I think the coach was with them too.

Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad