Niagara Icedogs 2024-25 Season, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
The skating issues evident in u16 has not allowed him to succeed at the OHL level. Big kid probably best suited for success in JrB.
I tend to agree with vermeulen being the odd man out when Bryant comes back IMO Wray is the better player and I think it’s one or the other

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Paris after 2 goals, assist in 2 exhibition gp; was released?
No the 6’ R shot forward you referenced. Oh, I didn’t realize the website has him listed as 6’. I’ve stood beside him 6’ is very generous. 😊

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Paris.
Stewart if that is who you are referencing, is considerably bigger I believe
I didn’t realize the website has him listed as 6’. I’ve stood beside him 6’ is very generous.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I didn’t realize the website has him listed as 6’. I’ve stood beside him 6’ is very generous.

It’s a small team. There are five? 5’10” or less left shot forwards; I think one or two would be more expendable than the lone right shot with two years of eligibility listed at at 6’

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree and disagree with you on this one I agree people need to give it up and move on when it comes to taking about the owner cause even though I’m with most people and want him gone he’s not going anywhere anytime soon unfortunately where I disagree somewhat and I hope I’m wrong is the growing pains part based on his track record in Jr.B he might not get any better at this
I agree with you that ownership needs to change BUT the caveat to that is ownership that is going to keep the team in Niagara. It is the same as in KIngston a lot of fans would have loved to see Springer sell the team.
But that does not guarantee that there will still be a team in Kingston, just as a change of ownership does not guarantee that the team will stay in the Niagara area.

The better thing is not a change in ownership BUT acquiring a GM that can do the job.

I worked in Ottawa when Earl and Howard ran the team. There were things tht they did that had us shaking our heads BUT we had a GM and coach that could make a winner and keep the owner out of the dressing room.

Reactions: frontsfan67

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I agree with you that ownership needs to change BUT the caveat to that is ownership that is going to keep the team in Niagara. It is the same as in KIngston a lot of fans would have loved to see Springer sell the team.
But that does not guarantee that there will still be a team in Kingston, just as a change of ownership does not guarantee that the team will stay in the Niagara area.

The better thing is not a change in ownership BUT acquiring a GM that can do the job.

I worked in Ottawa when Earl and Howard ran the team. There were things tht they did that had us shaking our heads BUT we had a GM and coach that could make a winner and keep the owner out of the dressing room.
It will if it a local owner plus an iron clad lease

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024

I could be dead wrong about this but IF a new owner moved the team he’d still have to wait quite awhile because of the lease agreement and I think the fan base is one of the top fan bases in the league that if they moved a team would quickly follow to replace them like what happened in missy but hopefully with a different outcome. You’re right a GM that can do the job would help a lot but he’s not interested in that he wants to do it himself and still is even on suspension which is why the fans want him gone so bad cause they don’t trust him to actually hire a GM or anyone else to run this team successfully.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I could be dead wrong about this but IF a new owner moved the team he’d still have to wait quite awhile because of the lease agreement and I think the fan base is one of the top fan bases in the league that if they moved a team would quickly follow to replace them like what happened in missy but hopefully with a different outcome. You’re right a GM that can do the job would help a lot but he’s not interested in that he wants to do it himself and still is even on suspension which is why the fans want him gone so bad cause they don’t trust him to actually hire a GM or anyone else to run this team successfully.
Oh I agree, if the team managed to move, someone else would jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat. Niagara has surprisingly strong attendance numbers for a team that has been in the basement this long. Run this organization the right way, you're selling out almost every single game - in one of the newest rinks.

Not to mention, from a player recruitment stand-point, no player is going to deny Niagara based on location. Players don't want to come here for factors that a proper owner/management team could easily fix.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Exactly. Not to high jack this lol but that’s the truth. If Springer ever sold the team there may be no more fronts. And I’d rather have a crappy team rather than no team that’s for sure

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The Niagara IceDogs licence agreement started officially with the opening of the Meridian Centre in 2014. The term is 20 years until 2034.

No reason to discuss possible team displacement. There is zero chance of that occurring in Niagara anytime soon.
That’s not what I’m saying.

Was adding to beasts point about Springer the Kingston owner. He’s not a good owner but atleast he keeps the team around.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
That’s not what I’m saying.

Was adding to beasts point about Springer the Kingston owner. He’s not a good owner but atleast he keeps the team around.
Niagara in a different situation. Their owner is not good and he can’t move the team.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I had to bail near the end of the 2nd, but here is my assessment - first on what I saw with some players, then the team as a whole.

Czata - wearing the A, made some smart decisions with the puck. Had a nice give and go with Wassilyn that lead to a quality chance. I think he breaks out this year, just not from day 1. I see him being a 3rd-5th round pick in the NHL draft.

Wassilyn - Nice goal to start the 2nd. Kid can fly and has a heck of a shot. Looks worthy of being a top 5 pick.

Cheynowski - Was possibly the best puck moving dman for the team. A lot of quick transition plays.

Brauti/Van Vliet - Showed poise most of the game that you'd expect from 2nd pair dmen.

Virgilio - I thought he struggled moving the puck around and got caught cheating a lot. I see the skill there, but not overly impressed on my first viewing.

Roobroeck - Not really noticeable. Wonder if he's still recovering. Loshko had the puck on his stick mostly for that line.

He/Loshko - A cut above the rest in their ability to attack the game. Drafted for a reason. I hope they keep Loshko around, at least until the deadline.

Team Notes:

Offensively
, they had great pace. As Roobroeck, Czata, Wassilyn and Galiyanov continue to become more confident, this team is going to be trouble for the mid and weaker teams to defend against. They'll have 3 lines that can take it to you. I expect a lot of high scoring games. Some of the better teams might get lost in a track meet.

I'm worried about their physicality. Brantford ran them over all night. Wray needs to stay in the lineup for this purpose. They could use more size. Paris was flying, and I agree with what others have said, being a right shot makes him more of a keeper. Assadorian and Vermuelen are potentials for my odd men out right now.

Defense - At the end of the day, just okay. Top teams are going to walk all over this group, as Brantford did starting in the 2nd - but it should be good enough against the bottom half of the league. Next season they are going to need 2 guys who push the rest down the depth chart. Better save up assets for that.

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
I had to bail near the end of the 2nd, but here is my assessment - first on what I saw with some players, then the team as a whole.

Czata - wearing the A, made some smart decisions with the puck. Had a nice give and go with Wassilyn that lead to a quality chance. I think he breaks out this year, just not from day 1. I see him being a 3rd-5th round pick in the NHL draft.

Wassilyn - Nice goal to start the 2nd. Kid can fly and has a heck of a shot. Looks worthy of being a top 5 pick.

Cheynowski - Was possibly the best puck moving dman for the team. A lot of quick transition plays.

Brauti/Van Vliet - Showed poise most of the game that you'd expect from 2nd pair dmen.

Virgilio - I thought he struggled moving the puck around and got caught cheating a lot. I see the skill there, but not overly impressed on my first viewing.

Roobroeck - Not really noticeable. Wonder if he's still recovering. Loshko had the puck on his stick mostly for that line.

He/Loshko - A cut above the rest in their ability to attack the game. Drafted for a reason. I hope they keep Loshko around, at least until the deadline.

Team Notes:

Offensively
, they had great pace. As Roobroeck, Czata, Wassilyn and Galiyanov continue to become more confident, this team is going to be trouble for the mid and weaker teams to defend against. They'll have 3 lines that can take it to you. I expect a lot of high scoring games. Some of the better teams might get lost in a track meet.

I'm worried about their physicality. Brantford ran them over all night. Wray needs to stay in the lineup for this purpose. They could use more size. Paris was flying, and I agree with what others have said, being a right shot makes him more of a keeper. Assadorian and Vermuelen are potentials for my odd men out right now.

Defense - At the end of the day, just okay. Top teams are going to walk all over this group, as Brantford did starting in the 2nd - but it should be good enough against the bottom half of the league. Next season they are going to need 2 guys who push the rest down the depth chart. Better save up assets for that.
How did Flores look? I heard from a few people there he was up to his old tricks trying to start stuff with Brantford players if I’m Ben I’d make a few changes from the team that played today and he’s one of them Robertson is my #1

Reactions: mattommy98

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
How did Flores look? I heard from a few people there he was up to his old tricks trying to start stuff with Brantford players if I’m Ben I’d make a few changes from the team that played today and he’s one of them Robertson is my #1
He was solid and the floodgates opened up. He faced a lot of odd man rushes so it's hard to put the blame on him.

Robertson is the goalie this year and next. Flores is the guy I move on from for sure.

Reactions: three dog night

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I was just informed that Mark Hunter was at today’s IceDogs game.

True story…any time he has attended an IceDog game, he’s taken Darren behind the woodshed.

Let’s see. The next few days will be interesting. Funny if it happens again this year

Last edited:

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Hf boards has lacked an IceDogs’ presence to circumvent discussions and evaluations of decisions, transactions and trades in isolation and without context.

So here are some IceDog facts…

2022-23

Owner DeDobbalaer told IceDog fans, “this team should never go through a rebuild.” (red flag); appoints himself GM (red flag); hires a failed Jr.B coach (red flag); employs a league low 5 scouts (red flag); immediately begins the revolving door of players (red flag). RESULT: Back to back last place finishes (white flag).

2023-24
DDD announces a proper rebuild around an 07-08 core and another Mem-Cup bid in 26-27. Fans cautiously optimistic. Trades: IceDogs add draft picks and a few 06s (2022 3rd D – Cheynowski; 2022 2nd F - Wray; 2022 4th D - Virgilio) to potentially become 06-OAs in 26-27. Allowing them to bank draft capital to spend on a couple of NHL drafted players like a Barlow, Rehkopf, Andonovski, Bertucci - type player in 26-27. Right move…smart move.

2024 PRIORITY DRAFT
The 2008s: IceDogs both benefitted (Braidy Wassilyn) and hindered by their in-bed relationship with player agent John Walters. Regardless, they came away with two key pieces for the 07-08 rebuild (Wassilyn and Crete). GM Wes Consorti, “the 2008s are a nice complement to our outstanding 2007 draft class and we’re excited to see their development this season”.

2024 AUGUST 18
The 07-08s 26-27 MEM-CUP D CORE has potentially TWO 06-OAs Cheynowski and Virgilio (2nd Pairing); ONE 07 Frolov (1st Pairing); ONE 08 Frasca (ceiling 3rd pairing) AND to be serious contenders ONE 1st pairing 07 NHL Drafted D required (cost of ONE…e.g., Bertucci 3x2rd, 3x3rds). IceDogs are heading in the right direction.

2024 AUGUST 19
“the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”. Wait! WTF! 07 Frolov + 2nd, 3rd, 3rd out and 06 Brauti in. The roster construct problems 2026-2027: D CORE: IceDogs potentially THREE 06-OAs (NEED 2); ZERO 07s; ONE 08 D (third pairing) AND to be serious contenders at least TWO 07s NHL drafted (cost of Bertucci x 2 - 6x2nd, 6x3rd); a cost they can’t afford.

2024 AUGUST 20
OHL championship teams are built around a long range plan; strategic demographic planning; astute trades; shrewd management of draft picks (e.g., pushing draft picks forward); ability to recruit high-end talent and success at the OHL Priority Draft. Instead, DeDobbalaer recklessly disposes of young players and high draft picks, simply to fulfill … “the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”.
Thank-you for the summary Sam14. Some of you may think Sam14 is just complaining but the truth is many fans are tired of seeing DD run the team into the ground. I know so many former season ticket holders who now no longer even follow the team.

I really don't think things will get any better. DD isn't stupid, he's a shrewd businessman. He is making moves which either decrease costs or increase revenue. He is running the team like a regular business. His goal isn't wins, its profit. However, you can't run an OHL team that way.

I truly believe that if DD doesn't sell or change his ways, this team will be gone when their lease expires. Attendance was between 4700 - 5000 when the Burke's ran the team. Last year it was under 3900, the lowest ever for a season at the Meridian Centre.

The only good news is that if attendance continues to decrease, DD will be forced to sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam14

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012

DD had preliminary discussions about moving the IceDogs to another city when he purchased the team. Fortunately there was no way to break the lease, unless the city of St. Catharines allowed him to break the lease. However when the lease expires in 2034, who knows what will happen. I think ultimately his goal is to own an OHL team in Brantford.

Reactions: Sam14

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
gain this is the same song we heard with Springer. LOL A ot of STH left when Springer and Gilmour killed the team

The challenge you have is this. You can B and moan about the owenre HellinKingston it is a sity pass time LOL

BUT you are stuck with him at l;east until someone steps up and offeres him a deal that he cannot refuse or someone finds wa y out of the city contract.

Therefore the thing to do if you are a fan is to support the team. I amnot saying buy tickets Ther are a fre of us that support the team on the net but donot go to games we watcho n tv or isten on radio.

Instead of saying the team is going to be crap get behind the boys that are here make then understand tht you support the team and them.

Ownership that is new needs some time unfortunatley.

Cheer for the team leave the owner out of the picture unless he actually does something.
Your team has a GM and it has what I think is a good coach.

You have the parts on forward to be a really competitive team this year you only need to add a D or 2 to become even better.

Talk about that instead it will make this board a lot better and less toxic.

On a 67 front I believe we have a great set of youth that need development and will go far.However, as those tht follow the 67 will tell you I have developed a not so friedly attitude to the coach for lack of develoipment.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Thank-you for the summary Sam14. Some of you may think Sam14 is just complaining but the truth is many fans are tired of seeing DD run the team into the ground. I know so many former season ticket holders who now no longer even follow the team.

I really don't think things will get any better. DD isn't stupid, he's a shrewd businessman. He is making moves which either decrease costs or increase revenue. He is running the team like a regular business. His goal isn't wins, its profit. However, you can't run an OHL team that way.

Agree! Context and factual information, sometimes unknown to the casual fan, allows IceDog fans (and OHL fans) the opportunity to properly discuss and evaluate the decisions made on and off ice; and all the good and bad transactions and trades over the last 3 years in Niagara. It creates constructive and meaningful discussions among the fans who follow this team closely.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsportsfan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

I truly believe that if DD doesn't sell or change his ways, this team will be gone when their lease expires. Attendance was between 4700 - 5000 when the Burke's ran the team. Last year it was under 3900, the lowest ever for a season at the Meridian Centre.

The only good news is that if attendance continues to decrease, DD will be forced to sell.
He actually doesn’t seem that smart or a very good businessman when it comes to running a hockey franchise. He paid top dollar for the franchise and he wants to move it from one of the most supportive communities in the OHL? With one of the nicest arenas and an amazing geographic location. He cuts staff and cuts every corner which hinders the development and success of the players which hurts the on-ice product which in turn hinders attendance. He’s doing everything the opposite of what a smart businessman and quality OHL owner should do. If he’s hurting for money in St. Catherine’s just wait and see how much he loses if he actually manages to move the team. Which I don’t see happening. He can’t continue this path for a decade, until the lease is up. It’ll just continue to become a bigger financial drain on him. At some point he’s either going to have to sell or change his ways and run the organization the way an OHL club should be run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad