Niagara IceDogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
As of today, Brantford, Brampton, Oshawa, Kingston, Barrie, Sudbury, Ottawa, North Bay all return rosters that leaves Niagara on the outskirts of the playoffs again. Niagara requires at least one of those last three teams to be massive sellers.
North Bay will be trading most of the veteran players as they are going into a rebuild. Sudbury and Ottawa may also be sellers at the trade deadline if they falter in the early part of the season. Do not count Peterborough out of the playoff race as they likely make a few trades to allow them to be in competition for a playoff spot.

Reactions: three dog night

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
As of today, Brantford, Brampton, Oshawa, Kingston, Barrie, Sudbury, Ottawa, North Bay all return rosters that leaves Niagara on the outskirts of the playoffs again. Niagara requires at least one of those last three teams to be massive sellers.
North bay will be big sellers but I’m not sure enough to where Niagara leaps them in the standings. They may trade their whole top line of van steensel, wakely and Romani along with mathurin on the back end. Sudbury is iffy- if they don’t get musty they might sell but if they do they may buy- that’s a team to watch for sure. Ottawa is supposedly going to sell according to some of their guys on their board- pinelli probably gets traded around January and they try and bring in an 08.

Niagara I think should be good at scoring goals but I also think they’re going to let a lot in- should make some exciting hockey though especially with how young the team is.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Brantford Brampton and Oshawa are definitely going to be strong this year
Barrie should be
Sudbury and Kingston are wild cards
Niagara has a lot of young players and if they can buy into Boudreau they may surprise.
The petes are a team to watch this season, as they bring an element of unpredictability to the league.
Ottawa and North Bay are going to be making trades but as sellers.

Niagara should have a goal of making the playoffs (5th would be nice)

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Brantford Brampton and Oshawa are definitely going to be strong this year
Barrie should be
Sudbury and Kingston are wild cards
Niagara has a lot of young players and if they can buy into Boudreau they may surprise.
The petes are a team to watch this season, as they bring an element of unpredictability to the league.
Ottawa and North Bay are going to be making trades but as sellers.

Niagara should have a goal of making the playoffs (5th would be nice)
I think the Petes will be better than many think they are going to be. Brayden McCallum, Jonathan Melee, Caden Taylor, Ryder MacIntyre and Colin Fitzgerald will lead the offence. Nico Addy and Aiden Young will also contribute. They will likely be a low scoring team but will be improved from the 2nd half of last season. The defence is a year older and talented. Liam Sztuska or Zack Bowen will provide solid goaltending. Mike Oke will likely make a couple of trades to bring a centre and a veteran defenceman.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I think the Petes will be better than many think they are going to be. Brayden McCallum, Jonathan Melee, Caden Taylor, Ryder MacIntyre and Colin Fitzgerald will lead the offence. Nico Addy and Aiden Young will also contribute. They will likely be a low scoring team but will be improved from the 2nd half of last season. The defence is a year older and talented. Liam Sztuska or Zack Bowen will provide solid goaltending. Mike Oke will likely make a couple of trades to bring a centre and a veteran defenceman.
Mike Oke very very rarely makes deals before training camp begins. I wouldn’t expect him to trade one of the goalies plus bring in two players before camp - not gunna happen.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Define “better”. I think most people have them finishing 8th-10th. You think they’ll finish higher than that?

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Define “better”. I think most people have them finishing 8th-10th. You think they’ll finish higher than that?
Right now, I have the Petes at 9th/10th with Niagara. Only trade scenarios open the door for either of those teams to make the playoffs. And, by trade scenario’s, I mean not only do those teams need to buy a couple players but at least one or two teams will need to sell enough to drop out of playoff contention.

We currently cannot make informed predictions because much of the questionable rosters are questionable because of pending graduations. For example, if Musty doesn’t return, what do they do? They are still going to be a reasonably decent team if they remain status quo.

How deep does North Bay cut? They are another team that won’t be weak and may not feel they are in a position to sell. The only reason for either of North Bay or Sudbury to sell is to recoup assets and fill int he dead spots on their draft board.

Ottawa may also be in a similar situation. All three will be more than fine if they don’t prioritize recouping assets lost in trades over the last couple seasons. If none of those three teams cut deep, how would the Petes compete? Brampton, Brantford, Oshawa, Kingston and Barrie should be considered very solid and capable. None of those are likely to sell.

I don’t see room for either of Niagara nor Peterborough without one or two of those aforementioned teams cutting very deep.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I think they have a chance to finish 7th or 8th.
Ahead of who? I thought maybe KGN but with the trades for Uronen and Guindon, now that seems unlikely. NIA will be just as good as PBO and those two will likely be fighting for similar spots, but who do they finish ahead of to finish 7th?

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Can not see that

Doubt Oshawa Roobroeck is back

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Ahead of who? I thought maybe KGN but with the trades for Uronen and Guindon, now that seems unlikely. NIA will be just as good as PBO and those two will likely be fighting for similar spots, but who do they finish ahead of to finish 7th?
North Bay will likely be selling so the Petes could be ahead of them and Ottawa may be rebuilding after the trade deadline.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I see a battle between Ottawa, the Petes, and NB for 8, 9, 10.

While I don't see Kingston as a big seller, I think that if Brantford and Brampton Barrie turn out to be highly competitive, Cooper will consider trading some of his 2005 players to make room for next year.

I don't see Ottawa being competitive at a level higher than 7th. A lot is going to depend on injuries and how teams respond.

Niagara has all the necessary parts to be a mid-conf contender. The goal should be to make the playoffs this year and then lead the conference next year.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Niagara has all the necessary parts to be a mid-conf contender. The goal should be to make the playoffs this year and then lead the conference next year.
As the roster currently sits, finishing as a mid-conf team would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Niagara’s weakest age group are the 05s (in fact not a single NHL drafted 19 year old) and only one NHL drafted player on the entire team. The only team that rosters fewer than Niagara are the Petes, they have zero. Maybe the last playoff spot, but only if a few teams decide to completely tank.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
As the roster currently sits, finishing as a mid-conf team would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Niagara’s weakest age group are the 05s (in fact not a single NHL drafted 19 year old) and only one NHL drafted player on the entire team. The only team that rosters fewer than Niagara are the Petes, they have zero. Maybe the last playoff spot, but only if a few teams decide to completely tank.
I think you are being pessimistic I think depending on what Boudreau does will make a difference. There are a lot of trades possible

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I think you are being pessimistic I think depending on what Boudreau does will make a difference. There are a lot of trades possible
Not so much pessimistic but moreso realistic. Any draft capital they possess needs to be applied to team improvements in 25-26 and more specifically 26-27. Needlessly squandering draft capital (on 05s) for a mid-conf run this season will set this franchise back again. It’s time for Niagara to understand their team demographics and identify a target year(s) based on that.

Reactions: ZinErie

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I see a battle between Ottawa, the Petes, and NB for 8, 9, 10.

While I don't see Kingston as a big seller, I think that if Brantford and Brampton Barrie turn out to be highly competitive, Cooper will consider trading some of his 2005 players to make room for next year.

I don't see Ottawa being competitive at a level higher than 7th. A lot is going to depend on injuries and how teams respond.

Niagara needs a few things, time mostly. If Bryant is out 20+ games and the import does not show, it could be a slow start for the IceDogs.
If they stay the course, Niagara can make a good bid for ‘27 Memorial Cup.

Kingston has 3-1sts and 3 imports born ‘05, and have already acquired 2-OAs; the team is committed to being very competitive this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not so much pessimistic but moreso realistic. Any draft capital they possess needs to be applied to team improvements in 25-26 and more specifically 26-27. Needlessly squandering draft capital (on 05s) for a mid-conf run this season will set this franchise back again. It’s time for Niagara to understand their team demographics and identify a target year(s) based on that.
they actaully drafted decently the past few years with some exceptions, 07/08 draft years. as long as the owner gets out of his own way they have a shot with that group.

Reactions: Sam14

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The ‘05 group is alright imo. With health, Wycisk could have a huge break-out season; and though small-ish as a group Wycisk, Assadourian, Levin, Paris, Podrekar, Robertson, Stewart could be well above average as a whole.
Niagara must have 15 forwards though, one of the better forwards has to be moved at some point.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
they actaully drafted decently the past few years with some exceptions, 07/08 draft years. as long as the owner gets out of his own way they have a shot with that group.
They have and I agree the owner has to get out of the way. The big difference this year is that they have a coach that can do it. Last year not so much. The pleyrs had long enough to learn Boudreaus system and he is going to start the year with his players.

Do they have the parts to be on the top team? NOT A CHANCE, but they do have the parts to be a 5-7-place team, depending on how Kingston and Sudbury do.

Ottawa NB and the Petes are retooling, and while they may be in the race at the Christmas break, they will fall because they need to make trades.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
They have and I agree the owner has to get out of the way. The big difference this year is that they have a coach that can do it. Last year not so much. The pleyrs had long enough to learn Boudreaus system and he is going to start the year with his players.

Do they have the parts to be on the top team? NOT A CHANCE, but they do have the parts to be a 5-7-place team, depending on how Kingston and Sudbury do.

Ottawa NB and the Petes are retooling, and while they may be in the race at the Christmas break, they will fall because they need to make trades.
not this year no, they will be life and death to make the playoffs, but the following year should be a very strong year for the team.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
My expectation is that He and Roobroeck will make up one of the top scoring lines in the league this year. They will have decent depth scoring and reliable goaltending.

There are still huge question marks on defense and with the coaching structure. I think they barely make it in with some high scoring wins along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad