NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
this NYR loss hurt alot tonight. We need them in the SCF.

if it's DAL/NYR final.... SCF gm7 will get 8.784M viewers

if it's EDM/FLA final....SCF gm7 will get 2.973M viewers. (if they're lucky)

Edm/fla will be an embarassment for the NHL. No one will watch that final. They'll be watching reruns of Shark Tank instead. ..Bettman will have nightmares in his sleep just thinking about it. He will be on antidepressants.
It's no big deal. This has happened before in 2006 and 2007, and the NHL was not adversely affected. I'm willing to bet that a Edmonton-NYR series would outdraw a Dallas-NYR series. mcDavid and Draisaitl are. obviously not household name in America, but it would argubaly be a much more exciting series, and allows the league to showcase two of it's top offensive starts.

For whatever reason, Dallas just does not move the needle much in the US, in spite of being in the 4th largest metro area in America. One would think the 2014 LA-NYR final would have broken YV ratings for hockey, but it failed to match the 2013 Final (Chicago vs Boston) or the 2015 Chicago vs Tampa Bay Final, so it is not always the size of the market that drives the ratings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
People love using this thread to vent how sure they are that the NHL is going to die
What's strange is it is the exact same 2-3 posters doing so for the past decade, and the NHL has only gained in popularity.

Not as big as the nba playoffs which completely annihilated it.
NBA Basketball more popular than NHL hockey in America.

In other new, the sky is blue.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
It's no big deal. This has happened before in 2006 and 2007, and the NHL was not adversely affected. I'm willing to bet that a Edmonton-NYR series would outdraw a Dallas-NYR series. mcDavid and Draisaitl are. obviously not household name in America, but it would argubaly be a much more exciting series, and allows the league to showcase two of it's top offensive starts.

For whatever reason, Dallas just does not move the needle much in the US, in spite of being in the 4th largest metro area in America. One would think the 2014 LA-NYR final would have broken YV ratings for hockey, but it failed to match the 2013 Final (Chicago vs Boston) or the 2015 Chicago vs Tampa Bay Final, so it is not always the size of the market that drives the ratings.
Only going 5 games is another reason the 2014 matchup had somewhat middling ratings

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
this NYR loss hurt alot tonight. We need them in the SCF.

if it's DAL/NYR final.... SCF gm7 will get 8.784M viewers

if it's EDM/FLA final....SCF gm7 will get 2.973M viewers. (if they're lucky)

Edm/fla will be an embarassment for the NHL. No one will watch that final. They'll be watching reruns of Shark Tank instead. ..Bettman will have nightmares in his sleep just thinking about it. He will be on antidepressants.
lol,
We need the best East and West teams in the finals, not the most watched. This applies for EVERY year.

Why would you not want the best teams every year. Enjoy watching Shark Tank.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
The 2013 and 15 series both were ahead in ratings after 5 games.
Those are the two highest rated Cup finals series since the full season lockout. Doesnt disprove a thing I said

Rangers-Kings is the 7th most watched Final since 2006, while also being the shortest (tied with 2018 and 2007). Being more watched than 2008 Red Wings vs Penguins.

If you really dont think that would have improved by having a game 6/game 7 then I dont know what to tell ya

Last edited:

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I'm bit surprised we have not seen any articled about local ratings for Dallas, with both Mavs and Stars in it. Same with local NY ratings.
i can't believe we can't find 1 person in the world to find us the local ratings. We used to get them all the time here yrs ago..

I'd love to see Mavs vs Stars.. just to see if it's close or not, or if anyone really cares that much in DAL for the stars.

I'd love to also see the 2nd round rating of NYK vs NYR in NY. i just want to see if it was close or not.
Also, 2nd round of Nuggets vs Avs.. (im sure it'll be close)

Also wouldn't mind seeing rd 1 of Kings vs Lakers in LA.
Also first 2 rounds of Celtics vs Bruins. i'm pretty sure Bs beat C's in the 1st round, and maybe even 2nd round.

Come on, somebody pls post this and be a hero..

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal

considering it was on ABC, i'd hate that #. that's a # i'd expect on ESPN or TNT, not ABC..

however, considering most ppl were out at the beach, or out and about enjoying the sun and the long weekend, it's pretty good.

If only this game was played on a SUN night on ABC primetime with no NBA game on.. It'd have gotten 4.9M easily.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
considering it was on ABC, i'd hate that #. that's a # i'd expect on ESPN or TNT, not ABC..

however, considering most ppl were out at the beach, or out and about enjoying the sun and the long weekend, it's pretty good.

If only this game was played on a SUN night on ABC primetime with no NBA game on.. It'd have gotten 4.9M easily.
Nhl playoffs Games could barely beat out the wnba there’s no way there getting 4.9

Reactions: NextBigThing

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Nhl playoffs Games could barely beat out the wnba there’s no way there getting 4.9
didn't Caitlyn clark draw 15M in a game recently?? And that beat out any NBA finals game in yrs with Lebron, too..

This is just a new thing. It's a phase. Wait till it dies down like now.. where her team is so bad and 1-6 or something and she's not even visible on the court.. soon, her games will be getting 160k viewers again.

Also, if they can get 3.224M for a 1st round game this yr, why can't they get 4.9M for a 3rd round game on primetime involving the biggest market in the US

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
didn't Caitlyn clark draw 15M in a game recently?? And that beat out any NBA finals game in yrs with Lebron, too..

This is just a new thing. It's a phase. Wait till it dies down like now.. where her team is so bad and 1-6 or something and she's not even visible on the court.. soon, her games will be getting 160k viewers again.

Also, if they can get 3.224M for a 1st round game this yr, why can't they get 4.9M for a 3rd round game on primetime involving the biggest market in the US
There’s no way an nhl game is 4.9 rating

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/05/nhl-eastern-conference-final-up-big-through-three-games/

The Rangers’ return to the Eastern Conference Final is fueling big gains for ESPN. Through three games, the Rangers-Panthers NHL Eastern Conference Final is averaging 2.2 million viewers on ESPN and ABC (based on Nielsen fast-nationals for Games 2 and 3) — up more than 40 percent from the first three games of Panthers-Hurricanes on TNT last year (1.51M) and the first three games of last year’s ESPN/ABC conference final, Stars-Golden Knights in the West (1.54M). Compared to the last time the Rangers made the East Final — against Tampa Bay two years ago — viewership is about even.

Shifting to the Western Conference, Thursday’s Oilers-Stars Game 1 averaged a combined 1.5 million across TNT and truTV — down from last year’s Stars-Golden Knights Game 1 on ESPN (1.71M) but up 8% from last year’s conference final opener on TNT, Panthers-Hurricanes (1.43M).

Thursdays Game 1 EDM-DAL did 1.5M combined on TNT & truTV according to SMW.
So 2.2 and 1.5 lol

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
someone who knows this, pls tell me.... I need to know who im cheering for in the WEST to advance to get the highest US nat'l rating for the SCF. I really don't know who's better for the US rating, DAL or EDM..

I know NYR for sure in east, but am i cheering for DAL which is the 5th biggest market in the US, or EDM who have 2 big stars but are a CDN team??

I know stars are not that big a draw in DFW or in US, but it's an american team... and i know mcd and draisaitl don't move the needle that much for casuals and it's a CDN team..

So who am i cheering for to meet the NYR to get the bigger US rating?? DAL or EDM??

Is it too close to call, or is one much better than the other?? thx

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
someone who knows this, pls tell me.... I need to know who im cheering for in the WEST to advance to get the highest US nat'l rating for the SCF. I really don't know who's better for the US rating, DAL or EDM..

I know NYR for sure in east, but am i cheering for DAL which is the 5th biggest market in the US, or EDM who have 2 big stars but are a CDN team??

I know stars are not that big a draw in DFW or in US, but it's an american team... and i know mcd and draisaitl don't move the needle that much for casuals and it's a CDN team..

So who am i cheering for to meet the NYR to get the bigger US rating?? DAL or EDM??

Is it too close to call, or is one much better than the other?? thx
Cheer for the best team to advance, if you don’t have a favourite.

Cheering for a team, that you think will have the best viewership numbers, is weird.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Dallas vs New York is definitely what the NHL needs
thx OVO... i keep saying that, but many ppl have told me DAL is not a good draw and ppl want to see McD and Draisaitl. I don't buy it. Americans won't watch a team from Edmonton. 98% of americans couldn't spot Edmonton on a map of CANADA (not my words, pat mcafee's words).. They're not going to watch for 2 players from a CDN team.

However, Dal is the 5th largest market in US and it's an American team.

Plus, i want to see Connor (Chris Paul) Mcdavid) continue not being able to win a cup. It's entertaining as hell.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
thx OVO... i keep saying that, but many ppl have told me DAL is not a good draw and ppl want to see McD and Draisaitl. I don't buy it. Americans won't watch a team from Edmonton. 98% of americans couldn't spot Edmonton on a map of CANADA (not my words, pat mcafee's words).. They're not going to watch for 2 players from a CDN team.

However, Dal is the 5th largest market in US and it's an American team.

Plus, i want to see Connor (Chris Paul) Mcdavid) continue not being able to win a cup. It's entertaining as hell.
Edmonton New York would generate the highest total numbers in North America, for sure.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It would certainly generate the higher US viewers for sure.

Total in both Canada and US? Not so sure.
Sure but the difference between US and Canada is that Canada will still tune in regardless of who plays. Even if it's in fewer numbers compared to having a Canadian team in the final

More than half the US on the other hand doesn't even know what or where Edmonton is.

For the growth and revenue of the game, the US is very important when it comes to the overall popularity of the game.

Dallas is a huge market in general but its small for hockey standards. There's a tremendous amount of opportunity there for the NHL. I guarantee you they want Dallas vs New York.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad