GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Day 2016

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We are going to be in a very strong position. If the right player(s) is available we could get a nice boost.

Maybe a bona fide 1st line LW? :sarcasm:

Aside from Ladd what decent UFAs will be on the market? Stamkos (26), Backes (32), Eriksson (30)...?

There are a bunch of RFAs - but I don't see us trying to offer sheet or strongarm anyone. Maybe there'll be another Mathieu Perreault situation where a decent player doesn't get qualified for cap reasons? We can only hope...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well you can put me in the "Chevy did a good job" category. Got his price for Ladd but didn't bother selling other assets for dirt cheap. Keep then until the draft and summer. Pirri is of no interest due to his arbitration rights and possibly huge arbitration award. That's not worth a 6th in a tank year.

Speaking of Pirri, how unusual is it for a playoff bound team and possible contender to be selling a good bottom 6 player at the TD? Not only that but a still young, former 2nd round pick who plays C & W and who is scoring at near .5 ppg? And selling very cheaply to boot? Too many red flags waving there. I'm glad we stayed away!

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Weird it was reporter earlier that Florida had offers of a 2nd and 3rd rounder for Pirri from two separate teams, and then he gets traded for a 6th rounder? Weird.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I highly doubt Mark will have much say. This will be chosen by the players and the coach's with some mild feedback from the brass. That being said my preference is how they did it in a simpler time. In the 60's after Captain Doug Harvey was traded to the Rangers the Habs passed a hat around the dressing room and each player wrote one name on a piece of paper and dropped it in the hat. They added up all the names and Jean Beliveau became Captain of the Habs.

KISS

However just for those of you who are wringing your hands on this topic keep in mind how awkward this would be if we named a team captain now and landed Andrew Ladd as a free agent on July 1st? I assume they will be bidding for his services so no matter how slim the chances there is no way in hell they announce a captain before that ship officially sails.

The bolded is it. Just no way they name a captain until after Ladd signs somewhere unless they decide not to go after him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Speaking of Pirri, how unusual is it for a playoff bound team and possible contender to be selling a good bottom 6 player at the TD? Not only that but a still young, former 2nd round pick who plays C & W and who is scoring at near .5 ppg? And selling very cheaply to boot? Too many red flags waving there. I'm glad we stayed away!

Anaheim sold Maroon

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
It just seems that owners being involved in day-to-day team stuff rarely turns out well...but it's Chipman's team and if he wants to be in at that level, that's his right.

This isn't like he's micromanaging day-to-day operations though. The process of selecting a new Captain only happens once every several years....5, in this case. It's not like he's micromanaging. As the owner of the team, his input should be considered.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Kinda like how Chevy transacts 75% of his trades with his old boss in Chicago? :sarcasm:

I feel like it was almost returning a favor from getting Ladd and Buff from them even though Chevy wasn't part of Atlanta at the time. Will be interesting to see how things play out, especially if Ladd comes back.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup, me too.

I've said for a while the jury is out until we get results from Ladd and Buff. The results are in. Well played, Chevy.

I've said similar, plus judging Chevy on the overall state of the org. rather than on each individual move (or non-move).

The Ladd/Buff situation was a potential minefield. Chevy has navigated it successfully. Only just. No celebration yet but no lynching either.

Once again Chevy has me sitting on the fence. What's going to happen next? There is a lot of potential. Will he do anything with it? Time will tell.

Maybe a bona fide 1st line LW? :sarcasm:

Aside from Ladd what decent UFAs will be on the market? Stamkos (26), Backes (32), Eriksson (30)...?

There are a bunch of RFAs - but I don't see us trying to offer sheet or strongarm anyone. Maybe there'll be another Mathieu Perreault situation where a decent player doesn't get qualified for cap reasons? We can only hope...

I am hoping either for something like that or an advantageous trade with a cap strapped team who can't afford to keep all their good players.

I think we need another veteran top 6 F in with the kids. Ladd would do if the price was right. I am really hoping for a good LHD, one way or another.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ladd should not be named captain if we re-sign him.

Valid opinion but I believe you were never impressed with him as captain in the first place. I disagree. I suspect that if he is re-signed the players would choose him. Of course I could be wrong.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Valid opinion but I believe you were never impressed with him as captain in the first place. I disagree. I suspect that if he is re-signed the players would choose him. Of course I could be wrong.

Yea it would be up to the players but if Andrew came back this summer (and the C was still unassigned of coarse) my guess is that the players would want Ladd as captain again including his buddy Blake.

BigTuna I think this answers your question too?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yea it would be up to the players but if Andrew came back this summer (and the C was still unassigned of coarse) my guess is that the players would want Ladd as captain again including his buddy Blake.

BigTuna I think this answers your question too?

Unless you have more to add nope. :nod:

I think it's clear Ladd is very highly respected in that room now that he's gone even if it's a little unclear still. If he is resigned and is named Captain, that should tell everyone, regardless your opinion, what they think of him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Florida also picked up Purcell & Hudler. What's the difference?

Not much maybe but Florida was actively shopping Pirri for quite a while before they picked up anybody. It just seems suspicious to me how hard they were trying to get rid of a guy with Pirri's resume.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think it's clear Ladd is very highly respected in that room now that he's gone even if it's a little unclear still. If he is resigned and is named Captain, that should tell everyone, regardless your opinion, what they think of him.

OTOH if they want a change in captain and they have even a faint hope of re-signing Ladd then they should name the new captain soon so that it isn't available when Ladd comes back.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

If (big if) he signs with the Jets this summer I would be really surprised if he wasn't named Captain again. He is a really popular leader with this teammates.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I feel like it was almost returning a favor from getting Ladd and Buff from them even though Chevy wasn't part of Atlanta at the time. Will be interesting to see how things play out, especially if Ladd comes back.

It's just having business relationships. Two former assistant GMs in Chicago both do deals with them - Chevy sends Ladd there, and they give him a pretty good return in exchange. Then they do a decent return to Bergevin for Weise and Fleischmann.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

In terms of owing someone a favor, have to wonder about the two deals SJS & Toronto made. The first was wildly in Toronto's favor (Polack & Spalding for 2 2nds plus Torres); the second seemed to be all in San Joses favor (Reimer & Morin for a 4th, a useless goalie & a nothing prospect).

Is it possible that deal # 2 was negotiated at the same time as deal # 1, but not announced until days later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad