GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Day 2016

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Meh. They went on a playoff run last year with him in a marginal role. I don't think Tampa fans are too worried about not dealing him. They'd rather get full value for him than dump him for peanuts. Then Steve Y says that the door is open for Drouin to return to playing hockey. Probably trying to boost his trade value and get him back on the development curve. These 3 months go a long way in a young player's life.

His value is going down not up. Bottom line is they had a chance to improve their lineup for the playoffs.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Agreed it was a good interview. And yep, the plan looked to play the kids all along and give them the opportunity to develop into their roles. I'd expect the same again next season. Also expect a few Moose players to get NHL games down the Stretch. Overall, it seems pretty clear the organization feels the kids need to play.

He basically admitted they knew they were not competing with the elite of the western conference. And it wasn't asked, but maybe they also knew that the goaltending wouldn't be good enough. Strategically though a Stemp on the roster with 1 a year deal would have added to the draft pick pool. I love the story about Buff embracing the youth and naming Ehlers as a reason to sign here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He basically admitted they knew they were not competing with the elite of the western conference. And it wasn't asked, but maybe they also knew that the goaltending wouldn't be good enough. Strategically though a Stemp on the roster with 1 a year deal would have added to the draft pick pool. I love the story about Buff embracing the youth and naming Ehlers as a reason to sign here.

I've said it a few times, the biggest value Stemp had for the Jets is what he would have brought at the TD. Agreed, I like the Buff love for Ehlers.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Geez I missed that!! Have to say, as critical as I've been re:Chevy, that was by far the best interview I have ever seen him give. A little bit of growl, a lot more straight forward in his answers, never a mention of the word "process", and only about 20 "agains"

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
More fuel on the Benning fire

wow.... but something quite doesn't make sense to me, if they offered a second round pick and that if conditions are met the pick turns to a first in 2016 for Russell how could they offer a higher pick (aka first) for Hamhuis as that pick would be already spoken for in the Russell trade (if condition is met), unless it was a first in 2017.

or maybe the tweet means that before the Russell trade was finalized in that case the wording in the tweet is wrong.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
His value is going down not up. Bottom line is they had a chance to improve their lineup for the playoffs.

Bingo, they blew that one, the guys is going to have been out of hockey for a year now, already blew some of his ELC and Yzerman is not going to get anything NEAR as talented a player, because quite honestly you even have less of an idea of what your getting in JD now.

Losing Stamko's, failing to free up cap space, and not moving JD for a piece that would help you out in any way shape or form is a big miss.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
[nhl]943865[/nhl]

He said Chipman is going to be involved discussions about who the new captain is going to be. Why the hell is Chipman going to be involved in that?

He said you don't bury young guys on the third or fourth line, you put them where they have a chance to succeed. He should have mentioned that to Maurice when Petan was on the roster.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not sure who did worse, Benning or Sweeney, in this TDL. Benning looks to have blown it with a couple of UFA rental assets and Sweeney mortgaged 4 draft picks for two marginal players and for what reason, I have no clue.

On a side note, Chevy's return on Ladd is outstanding in hindsight and he got top value for a rental when looking at the deals (or lack of deals) that transpired today. That is some terrific work done by Jets management once again.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
@10:20 Chipman will decide who is captain, the secretary AKA Chevy will then get his iron out and place the "C" on his Sweater, ya know because he's the GM and the real guy in charge..... :shakehead

Weird, that's not what I took from that at all.

Consulting with the coach, players, and other management for the C is a bad thing? :shakehead

Sure, he talks to Chipman. I can't imagine any GM not talking to the ownership group about a captaincy decision.

Mismanagement wants to wait and drag it out because they have no problem tanking and wasting time

Damn, you're right! Chevy should have just hit the "win now" button when we got the team! :shakehead

(They probably have a money model for this, Oiler style)

Probably. :shakehead

As a Fan I have no room for tank teams and I wish the league had a punishment for it, but that is wishful thinking to the max.

Great! I invite you to switch allegiance to a team that never tanks, never gets high draft picks, and somehow despite all this is a perennial contender. :shakehead

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'm not sure who did worse, Benning or Sweeney, in this TDL. Benning looks to have blown it with a couple of UFA rental assets and Sweeney mortgaged 4 draft picks for two marginal players and for what reason, I have no clue.

On a side note, Chevy's return on Ladd is outstanding in hindsight and he got top value for a rental when looking at the deals (or lack of deals) tha transpired today. That is some terrific work done by Jets management once again.

Probably just knows how poorly he drafts...

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
I really liked Chevy's presser from today. Worth a listen. The blurb starting at 14:00 especially (he talks about the draft and develop model.) The whole thing is pretty good, and though he still talks like Chevy does, it wasn't just mindless filler.

Edit: Also from 17:00 to the end of the clip, he talks for 3 minutes straight about trades in the cap era. I found it interesting as well, he didn't just politico talk it either, also worth a listen.

Last edited:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
He said Chipman is going to be involved discussions about who the new captain is going to be. Why the hell is Chipman going to be involved in that?

He said you don't bury young guys on the third or fourth line, you put them where they have a chance to succeed. He should have mentioned that to Maurice when Petan was on the roster.

How do you think he learnt that fact, also he had to run it through the Chip'r :laugh:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Weird, that's not what I took from that at all.

Consulting with the coach, players, and other management for the C is a bad thing? :shakehead

Sure, he talks to Chipman. I can't imagine any GM not talking to the ownership group about a captaincy decision.

Damn, you're right! Chevy should have just hit the "win now" button when we got the team! :shakehead

Probably. :shakehead

Great! I invite you to switch allegiance to a team that never tanks, never gets high draft picks, and somehow despite all this is a perennial contender. :shakehead

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

[mod] Did you miss the part about wishful thinking? Sorry I'm not a very good blind follower, I'll try to not think for myself more often.

In the future when you attack someone opinions try to explain in detail how wrong one is instead of trying to look crafty by using blue shaky heads, it might help you're cause and also bring someone's else's understanding of the source material to your level.

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Sorry I'm not a very good blind follower, I'll try to not think for myself more often.

Listen, if you're going to trash the team that most of us here (despite some criticisms) are fans of, prepare for some backlash. Especially if your accusations are totally nonsensical and insulting.

If instead you'd like to debate the moves Chevy and TNSE make, without all the blue shakeheads, sarcasm, and petty insults, I'd be happy to oblige. Yes, that can include critique. The posters who do this, even ones I disagree with, strike me very much as people who think for themselves.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
No, the post you quoted was me replying to someone complaining that Pavelec, Thorburn, Stuart, Burmistrov, etc were not traded TODAY.

All of those guys were impossible to move today due to the fact they have another year on their contracts.

You can argue whether those guys will have more value on draft day, or one year from now at the trade deadline, but it is 100% irrelevant to the matter of whether or not they were tradeable today.

In that case I apologize, I thought you were making a different point than you were.

Also, who has ever said Ladd had more value at the deadline than at the draft last year? Strikes me as nuts.

Lots of people, if you look over the various (now closed) 'Chevy' threads and the Trade Rumors thread, that argument was bandied about to justify us not having Ladd/Buff signed or traded at the beginning of the season

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
He was quite revealing today! I liked most of his answers, especially his no regrets about playing the kids.

Yup, for a Chevy interview, that was an open diary. ;) He normally holds his cards pretty close to his chest. He seems to be getting more comfortable in front of the camera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad