League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I still don't think Washington has to be the team to pay Chychrun. At least not right now.

He's had a very nice start so far, but over his career he's been more of a second pairing quality player who has missed a ton of time with injuries. I also don't think his game is the type that is likely to age well either.

I'd let the season play out more before even considering re-signing him. If they look like they are going to be a team to be reckoned with within the next year or so then yeah, maybe you consider re-signing him to maximize the team right now. But if it looks like they are still a few years from really contending again then they'd be wise to consider trading him at the TDL for a handsome return. With retention it's hard to imagine him not returning a first+ if he continues playing well.
Translation: The stats I use the most don't support extending him.

I'm also against throwing an extension at someone who's only played a handful of games for you but for different, obvious reasons.

Reactions: um and Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I'm not sure the Theodore and Hanifin contracts can be considered around the 'ceiling' for an eventual Chyc deal. I think both of those guys left some money on the table. (And Theodore didn't even sign for 8 years.)
Probably because they like their situations. Not everyone is just trying to maximize their pay. It is a balance. Same thing in corporate world. People don’t leave their jobs for money. It may be a contributor, but the real reasons they leave is (a) bad boss/cutlure, (b) can’t be successful, (c) no good path forward. I’ve been overpaid to be in a shitty situation and I won’t do it again.

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I like the fact that Theodore re-signed in Vegas. Because a swap of him with add-one and Marner seemed like the most logical move. I still hope Caps make a play for him.
Strome-Marner and Dubois-Wilson can lead the Caps in the post-Ovie era.

Reactions: um

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I like the fact that Theodore re-signed in Vegas. Because a swap of him with add-one and Marner seemed like the most logical move. I still hope Caps make a play for him.
Strome-Marner and Dubois-Wilson can lead the Caps in the post-Ovie era.
Once the season started, Marner wasn't getting traded.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I still don't think Washington has to be the team to pay Chychrun. At least not right now.

He's had a very nice start so far, but over his career he's been more of a second pairing quality player who has missed a ton of time with injuries. I also don't think his game is the type that is likely to age well either.

I'd let the season play out more before even considering re-signing him. If they look like they are going to be a team to be reckoned with within the next year or so then yeah, maybe you consider re-signing him to maximize the team right now. But if it looks like they are still a few years from really contending again then they'd be wise to consider trading him at the TDL for a handsome return. With retention it's hard to imagine him not returning a first+ if he continues playing well.
Yet last year you were tripping over yourself to extend Sandin early for 6 years (or was it $6 mil per?), what was it $40 plus mil? Gunshy this time around or what?

Because to me, Chychrun ‘so far’ seems like a legit 1D partner for Carlson.

They are NOT trading him if they’re in a playoff spot that’s for sure. I think some of you all are stuck in this place of wanting us to be a playoff team, yet you think they’re going to act like a cellar dweller.

The season will have to go to complete dogshit for them to start retaining and selling off….IMO.

Last edited:

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Once the season started, Marner wasn't getting traded.
Yeah, the chances are slim, but if the Leafs continue to struggle and he isn’t re-signed around Christmas they might reconsider. A sign-and-trade would still be worth a lot in trade value for them

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If not Chychrun, then who? No one in our pipeline has his skillset and ceiling, drafting one doesn't fit the timeline, and acquiring someone else with Chychrun's pedigree, age, skill-set, talent level, and contract structure would certainly cost more than a 3rd plus a declining 30+ year old defenseman.

He also fits perfectly in the top four ahead of Fehervary. I'd have zero problems jettisoning Sandin to sign Chychrun and I'm higher on Sandin than most.

Maybe wait for more than a six game sample size but Ottawa may have dropped a top pairing defenseman in our laps for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Translation: The stats I use the most don't support extending him.

I'm also against throwing an extension at someone who's only played a handful of games for you but for different, obvious reasons.
I like the timeline that @DWGie26 threw out….30-50 games, and I’d gravitate toward that 50game mark for an extension. Keep him hungry, get a gooood looooong test with him and the team.

As someone else said, this is likely your top D after Carlson retires, so you want a guy who is dependable and durability has been his issue….soo….test it out for most of the season.

Reactions: g00n and RedRocking

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Top D are gold
The Greeks knew it
The Carthaginians knew it
And now you know it

Chych-Carlson
Fever-Roy
Sandin-TVR

that's just not bad at all right there, Orpik/Niskanen era vibes
I always want a formidable Top 4
Pay the man

2024-25 prediction:
as the year progresses, more and more will comment on how Fever is becoming more Orlov-y and into a bonafide 2LD
just needs hip check lessons and nearly there

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Yet last year you were tripping over yourself to extend Sandin early for 6 years, what was it $40 plus mil? Gunshy this time around or what?

Because to me, Chychrun ‘so far’ seems like a legit 1D partner for Carlson.

They are NOT trading him if they’re in a playoff spot that’s for sure. I think some of you all are stuck in this place of wanting us to be a playoff team, yet you think they’re going to act like a cellar dweller.

The season will have to go to complete dogshit for them to start retaining and selling off….IMO.
Always going to have the Joan of Arc type detractor on here trying to differentiate themselves from the group. 'Look at me, I'm different! I know I'll be crucified for this but my opinion matters because I smart.'

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
No one in our pipeline has his skillset and ceiling, drafting one doesn't fit the timeline,
Yeah, the other point is if you want to believe Chesley and Iorio can end up being top 4 type players (or even if Cam Allen puts it together), JC and Fehvervary fit perfectly timeline wise as veterans to help the younger/rookie RD's come through.

It'd basically be the inverse of what they tried where the right side was all older veterans and the left side was Fehervary, Sandin, and AA.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Way too early to decide on extending JC6, but he sure looks promising. Need about half a season of data/durability. Also need Roy to get healthy so the coaches can evaluate the top 4, since he's the guy we are already committed to long-term. How does it look when all together? Also, we've only got 1 more guaranteed year of Carlson after this season. Does he extend at all? If not, who's Chychrun's partner down the road?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Way too early to decide on extending JC6, but he sure looks promising. Need about half a season of data/durability. Also need Roy to get healthy so the coaches can evaluate the top 4, since he's the guy we are already committed to long-term. How does it look when all together? Also, we've only got 1 more guaranteed year of Carlson after this season. Does he extend at all? If not, who's Chychrun's partner down the road?
2 more years after current deal if JC74 is still playing well\wants to keep playing IMO….

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Probably because they like their situations. Not everyone is just trying to maximize their pay. It is a balance. Same thing in corporate world. People don’t leave their jobs for money. It may be a contributor, but the real reasons they leave is (a) bad boss/cutlure, (b) can’t be successful, (c) no good path forward. I’ve been overpaid to be in a shitty situation and I won’t do it again.
Ha. Be careful!!

Older you get (less years to earn), more you may put up with, *IF*, the “overpaid” is worth it.

Maybe easier said than done, if that’s a thing my man.

Ok, back to Hockey

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If not Chychrun, then who? No one in our pipeline has his skillset and ceiling, drafting one doesn't fit the timeline, and acquiring someone else with Chychrun's pedigree, age, skill-set, talent level, and contract structure would certainly cost more than a 3rd plus a declining 30+ year old defenseman.

He also fits perfectly in the top four ahead of Fehervary. I'd have zero problems jettisoning Sandin to sign Chychrun and I'm higher on Sandin than most.

Maybe wait for more than a six game sample size but Ottawa may have dropped a top pairing defenseman in our laps for pennies on the dollar.
I think the *only* hesitation I would have, to spending big $$$ on JC6, is….what else will be out there? I mean, he kinda fell into the Caps laps, and IF they had a boatload of cap space, JC6 is FAR FAR FAR from the last player that will be available, either via UFA or trade. We’ve seen some hi level d-men moved over the past however many (say 5) seasons, that it happens regularly enough.

I really like JC6 so far. But I also LOVED Shat 22 the first couple of weeks we had him.

So I agree with the “let’s pause and breathe a little” attitude. I would not wait til Feb, but IF we are entering Thanksgiving and things are working out well?

Then find a good deal for both sides. Whatever that may be.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think @twabby is better than that….
Since 2018, I’ve liked the cut of @twabby ’s jib.

Yeah, the other point is if you want to believe Chesley and Iorio can end up being top 4 type players (or even if Cam Allen puts it together), JC and Fehvervary fit perfectly timeline wise as veterans to help the younger/rookie RD's come through.

It'd basically be the inverse of what they tried where the right side was all older veterans and the left side was Fehervary, Sandin, and AA.
I don’t see any of those guys being top paid. Like not close.

Maybe a 4/5 thing? Hope I’m wrong—

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Re Chychrun extension:

Good players are hard to find and though I think there's a lot of uncertainty around whether Chychrun can be a Great player he is most certainly a Good one. $7.5x8 for what would be at worst a very good 3d is not ridiculous money. The fit has been great so far, strike while the iron is hot and the vibes are good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad