League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
How long will it take for Yzerman to actually be on the hot seat? Detroit looks like a flaming pile of garbage ...

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Pens can't hang with the good teams. They're in deep trouble this season.
Their fans seem to get this, but seemingly nobody else can see that the Pens can only beat bad teams. (They've beaten Detroit, Montreal, and Buffalo, and they need OT to beat Buffalo.) Their defense has been abominable. It might be the second worst in hockey behind the Sharks. I can't tell if it's early or if Letang's play has fallen off a cliff long-term, but he's been terrible.

Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Their fans seem to get this, but seemingly nobody else can see that the Pens can only beat bad teams. (They've beaten Detroit, Montreal, and Buffalo, and they need OT to beat Buffalo.) Their defense has been abominable. It might be the second worst in hockey behind the Sharks. I can't tell if it's early or if Letang's play has fallen off a cliff long-term, but he's been terrible.

Crosby and Malkin both need good solid wingers to do the heavy lifting for them at this point in their careers.

Pens don't really have those types of players at the moment and it won't get easier for Crosby at 37 and Malkin at 38 as they get older.

Letang has fallen off especially in the defensive zone for a couple of years now.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He needs to do just enough so that the Pens make bad deals at the deadline in an attempt to make the playoffs.

I read an article the other day about how genius the Karlsson trade was for Dubas. What a bizarre take - that losing a first rounder to get an overpaid player and miss the playoffs is somehow a triumph. Of their past 12 first rounders, this was the 8th they traded away.

Meanwhile the Capitals are swimming in homegrown first round talent that is either on the roster now or soon to be. Of course that doesn't stop the Canadian media narrative that the Capitals have sacrificed everything to get Ovie the goals record.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I read an article the other day about how genius the Karlsson trade was for Dubas. What a bizarre take - that losing a first rounder to get an overpaid player and miss the playoffs is somehow a triumph. Of their past 12 first rounders, this was the 8th they traded away.

Meanwhile the Capitals are swimming in homegrown first round talent that is either on the roster now or soon to be. Of course that doesn't stop the Canadian media narrative that the Capitals have sacrificed everything to get Ovie the goals record.
Caps coverage has always been painfully ignorant, the goals record has taken it to the next level.

I guess the Caps will forever be a small market team with no coverage, not even the GOAT goal scorer could change that.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad