League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers looking pretty good against the Stars.
McDavid now has 2 playoff OT goals to Crosby's/Ovechkin's 0. I just don't understand how you could leave him open for the redirect goal? Maybe the Oilers are destined to REACH the Cup Final?! Stars look like they are having a goal scoring slump, as I saw too many times they passed up easy shots and tried to score a goal on a fancy play(both their goals were on in tight plays in front of the net).

For the Stars, you can't win an OT game to start, when you can't capitalize on 4 mins of PP time on a McDavid high-stick penalty that drew blood!

I'll be really disappointed in the Stars if they fall short against the Oilers, after beating the last two Cup Champs!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
McDavid now has 2 playoff OT goals to Crosby's/Ovechkin's 0. I just don't understand how you could leave him open for the redirect goal? Maybe the Oilers are destined to REACH the Cup Final?! Stars look like they are having a goal scoring slump, as I saw too many times they passed up easy shots and tried to score a goal on a fancy play(both their goals were on in tight plays in front of the net).

For the Stars, you can't win an OT game to start, when you can't capitalize on 4 mins of PP time on a McDavid high-stick penalty that drew blood!

I'll be really disappointed in the Stars if they fall short against the Oilers, after beating the last two Cup Champs!
Watching that final play for the OT goal I don't know it felt pretty organic one of those where the puck got to that passer fast which led to McD being open. Not rooting for the Oilers I just enjoy playoff failure tears too much to want them any success. Florida all the way.

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Rags needed this badly and just got the edge in OT. Rags PP is 0 for 6 in these 2 games so far. Bobrovsky was tied with Patrick Roy for 12 consecutive playoff OT wins coming into this OT. Had a feeling that streak might be halted. I still think the Panthers are controlling the series as they are playing more of their game than the Rags are. Panthers got the split starting off on the road, so they have the home ice advantage for now.

Looked like a high stick in the neutral zone on the angles I saw
It wouldn't surprise me if it was. Maurice was looking at the replay to see if there was offsides. Officials I guess confer with Toronto and deemed it a good goal.

Reactions: PlushMinus

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Looked like a high stick in the neutral zone on the angles I saw
You are 100% correct! I took a snapshot pic of the Sports Net feed(there was a ice level camera view) and Goodrow did in fact high stick the puck above his shoulders to knock it down(you can see from the pic his white hockey taped stick blade is above his shoulders). Two refs are looking right at it. The other ref is to the far right off screen.
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 22-48-04 NHL Game 2 Highlights Panthers vs. Rangers - May 24 2024.png

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I mean, if you could always just go back and review any missed stoppage then you’d have even more long reviews. If you think reviews bringing back goals for a player being a fraction of a millimeter offsides get old, imagine the officials having to go back to see if a players stick was slightly above their shoulder a minute before the goal was scored.

Obviously this was right before the goal so it stands out more, but it is what it is. Panthers still seem to have a leg up, game 3 is important though.

Reactions: PlushMinus

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Read up on the rules, because Ferraro touched on this. This play wasn't reviewable because, A) the high stick didn't lead directly to the goal so it wasn't reviewed by the booth in Toronto, and B) coaches challenges are only allowed for infractions that occur in the offensive zone, such as offside or goalie interference. Other stoppages, in the defensive or neutral zone can't be challenged.

The refs might have missed the call, but once they did, it couldn't be overturned.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
The one I want scrapped is the offside challenge, since there is no time limit on it and the technology enables high def frame by frame review. If it's a f***ing pixel offside they will throw out the goal.

Why is it stupid? Because linesmen make calls in real time when things are happening at speed and they appear to get it right the majority of times when human eyes are making the decision.

Every team employs a person to watch replays when a goal is scored and then inform the coaches if they think it was a missed offside.

The constant scrutinising of frame by frame replays in hockey are ruining the game. A high stick gets called and the network - or some douchebag on X - posts about three other high sticks that were missed. It is now happening EVERY single game.

It is reaching the point where you basically need to watch the games in an isolation chamber.

I won't even get started on goalie interference, other than to say it appears to be a coin flip.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Its still makes me mad we traded this seasons 2nd rounder for 3 shifts of connor brown like 4 years ago lol
Well he got injured so it was just bad luck.

Oilers traded for Henrique and he's missed the last 7 games with an injury. They gave up a 1st, 4th and a 5th for him (and Sam Carrick).

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Not all stoppages can be reviewed. See above.
I'm aware of the rule just think it's dumb. The high stick gave the Rangers an advantage because if its not high sticked down they don't get possession or the odd man break that directly leads to a goal. I understand the arguments of more reviews = bad for hockey. But we just had a OT playoff game decided by a goal that by the rules shouldn't have counted. Sucks.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Those are the breaks….you win some you lose some….haven’t seen any replay that’s definitive that it was a high stick anyway.

Stuff happens….can’t play the entire sport under replay….

Reactions: Cappy76

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I feel like half of Trouba’s dirty plays are a result of being ass at defending. “Oh shit, I got beat like a drum again, better reach my elbow out at the head”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad