NHL monitoring teams’ income-tax advantages, but ‘there are no easy fixes’

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, because the teams are good.

The no-tax "advantage" did f*** all for Florida for 20 years, and now everyone is up in arms about it.
Exactly, it’s just a coincidence that these teams happened to all hit their peak at relatively the same time. It’s going to be ugly for Tampa/Florida/Vegas in the coming years

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Also, while we're here debating competitive advantages and making up for them, I think more recently added teams should get some sort of offsetting bonus to make up for the competitive advantage teams that have been around for five decades or more have from being able to sell players on history and tradition.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I can.

I hope you will enjoy a world where you pay a separate toll for every road you drive on, where emergency services will only show up when you can prove you have the money to pay for it and you have no recourse when big business screws you over hard.

Like the other poster said, delusional.
There are other ways than what you've envisioned.

You talk about big business like they have a monopoly, but government is the ultimate monopoly.

Reactions: Voight

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Tax advantage will not make a team automatically good. But it does help in spades when you finally have a good competitive team and can help extend its longevity by potentially getting your top players signing cheaper deals than they could/would in other markets.

I dunno why this is so difficult for people to grasp lol. I mean you even have it coming straight from a players mouth.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Tax advantage will not make a team automatically good. But it does help in spades when you finally have a good competitive team and can help extend its longevity by potentially getting your top players signing cheaper deals than they could/would in other markets.

I dunno why this is so difficult for people to grasp lol. I mean you even have it coming straight from a players mouth.
Well then there should be zero opposition from teams to fix it then.

Good news.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What if I told you that a simple calculator could figure out in mere minutes the exact percentage of taxes paid by players on each team given the country they live in, the local tax rate or lack thereof, and the away schedule they play?

That this one, simple, number can then be used to compare exactly what a cap dollar is worth to each market. And you can even adjust it every single time any of those numbers changed? It’s not magic. It’s just math.

Having that number tells you exactly what the real dollar money value is to cap space in 32 different places. You just have to make the real dollar value the thing you base the cap number in each place on. And you can easily reverse engineer said number with the information you have already taken all of…several minutes…to compute.

It could be knocked out in the afternoon you know the schedules of each team. It’s completely fair…completely even…and can completely eliminate this entire issue in no time at all. Anyone who tells you otherwise is arguing in bad faith because they know it’s a competitive advantage and they want it that way. It’s just a formula you can run after setting the cap the same exact way they always do. Nothing more.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Its coming from American teams too.

I think people aren't highlighting the fact that we had a flat cap from about 2020 to this offseason. With less growth in the cap, being able to maximize cap space became more important.
So much complaining about "advantages" recently, but really, what is the advantage exactly? The advantage always seems to be having the ability to sign large free agency contracts, when historically we've seen these large contracts go sour fairly quickly for teams. There is a common "the players take home more!" comment but even then, you're on the road for 41 games just like everyone else and taxes are split accordingly, though I will say I do imagine that players out west pay more compared to east coast teams, whether that be due to cost of living in some places (looking at you Cali, Vancouver, Seattle).

Its not as if lower taxes allowed huge FA signings which lead to a cup for teams lately, Tampa sold a good majority of its futures to get some cost controlled guys over the years to stay competitive. Florida drafted well for years and made a couple of extremely shrewd trades to solidify that roster. Colorado also with drafting well, and having the ability to sign some mid tier/depth guys. Vegas... you know the story, besides that, to round out the last 10 years of Stanley Cup Champs, you have Washington, Pittsburgh, St. Louis. Again, not teams that really went out and broke the bank in free agency, they built strong teams over a few seasons and added a piece or two.

The real kicker in all of this is, again, talking about these tax advantages most people point the finger at the southern states and teams, TPA/FLA/NSH/DAL and all, and all of these teams seem to barely be in the black financially (funny accounting or not).

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
This feels like you intend it to be a dunk, but it's important to realize (and is pointed out in every thread on the topic) that income taxes are not the only advantage/disadvantage that certain markets have, and possibly not even the most meaningful one.
I agree with this. I think it gets underestimated how important, as an example, having a great country music scene in a place like Nashville might appeal to players.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
What if I told you that a simple calculator could figure out in mere minutes the exact percentage of taxes paid by players on each team given the country they live in, the local tax rate or lack thereof, and the away schedule they play?

That this one, simple, number can then be used to compare exactly what a cap dollar is worth to each market. And you can even adjust it every single time any of those numbers changed? It’s not magic. It’s just math.

Having that number tells you exactly what the real dollar money value is to cap space in 32 different places. You just have to make the real dollar value the thing you base the cap number in each place on. And you can easily reverse engineer said number with the information you have already taken all of…several minutes…to compute.

It could be knocked out in the afternoon you know the schedules of each team. It’s completely fair…completely even…and can completely eliminate this entire issue in no time at all. Anyone who tells you otherwise is arguing in bad faith because they know it’s a competitive advantage and they want it that way. It’s just a formula you can run after setting the cap the same exact way they always do. Nothing more.

If you told me that I would think you don't have a very deep understanding of income taxes.

But I see you've already built in a way to dismiss the arguments of anyone who disagrees with you.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Different Teams have different advantages. What are you going to do even it up when Player A takes less money to play for Team A over Team B that has the exact same taxes?

If you are a team with higher taxes, then you have to your best to do other things to make your Team attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad