NHL monitoring teams’ income-tax advantages, but ‘there are no easy fixes’

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The easy fix is actually to just use an estimate of post tax payment for the cap hit. It's not that complicated, they just don't want to do it.

Reactions: LiseL

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Jarnkrok is probably better known than Wyatt Johnston or Heiskanen in their respective markets. Every team has it’s advantages.

Every league deals with this, for whatever reason (Canadian presence?) the NHL is worried about it when the focus should be increasing revenue and thus increasing salaries. Also increasing the player share of revenue and the cap overall.

Owners are probably happy to shift the focus to this distraction lmao.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
UFAs sure, but they're getting 10-20% discounts on virtually every re-signing. It's definitely not nothing
In a RFA contract situation - why does the tax rate matter? Everything is entirely out of the teams control, except their contract offer. I guarantee you that RFA's aren't leaving $'s on the table because they happen to live a no-state tax location.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No, it is in fact very complicated and thus not done

The complexity is if you want an EXACT answer of what future post-tax payments will be, because they can't actually be known in advance. But you can use a formula to make a close estimate, something that will get you 90-99% there. Balancing the incentives of players when they sign is what matters, getting the exact number does not.

This is somewhat of a lawyers vs economists type of argument, and since I am actually an economist I'm taking that side unsurprisingly. If you want to get the incentives right, it's better to be inexact and close than to be exactly far off.

and i doubt something like that is legal. You can't have different salary cap amounts based on what players make post taxes.

Which law are you talking about? Salary caps are an internal matter decided by leagues, not something that the law touches on. At least nothing I've ever heard of.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Taxes.png

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Oh look, teams and players clearly see and feel the tax advantages. I remember people being adamant for yearssssss that it doesnt matter and players don't care about it. "Just get a good accountant and you'll make the same!!!!!" they would preach. Are those people still going to try and deny this advantage :sarcasm: ?
I'm not convinced this is a huge deal.

The number of teams winning from those states is largely coincidental and it's not like these teams are doing it by securing big name UFAs like you would expect if players were choosing these teams based on taxes.

Reactions: Laus723

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Just spit balling here but could it work fairly if the cap was pro rated?

Say cap was $100 million. Team X with no income tax remains at $100 million.

Team Y with 13% income tax gets pro rated to a cap of $113 million.

Does that solve the money equation? Im sure someone will have a counter point, which im genuinely curious to hear

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
The complexity is if you want an EXACT answer of what future post-tax payments will be, because they can't actually be known in advance. But you can use a formula to make a close estimate, something that will get you 90-99% there. Balancing the incentives of players when they sign is what matters, getting the exact number does not.

This is somewhat of a lawyers vs economists type of argument, and since I am actually an economist I'm taking that side unsurprisingly. If you want to get the incentives right, it's better to be inexact and close than to be exactly far off.

Which law are you talking about? Salary caps are an internal matter decided by leagues, not something that the law touches on. At least nothing I've ever heard of.
I think there is incredible complexity to it, factoring in signing bonuses, timing thereof and then even if you can figure that out, applying and managing that in for salary cap just makes in more complex.

I think the easiest way to combat this would simply be to determine a team by team salary cap. So salary cap for a Florida team is $80M, but salary cap for California team is $92M. Something very high level and general like that. do a super high level estimate of the % advantage and then apply it. That would be incredibly easy to manage. For teams, it would be management the same way they always have been managing, they just take the number you give. The work, which really shouldn't be that much work, is estimating how to even it out across all teams, but that should really be a thing that gets updated as tax rules in different jurisdictions get updated.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723 and LiseL

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022

Does that solve the money equation? Im sure someone will have a counter point, which im genuinely curious to hear
That's what I was thinking, but slightly more complicated than that.....in your situation, a player playing for Team X wouldn't have 0% tax as they'd be paying tax in different jurisdictions, it's just the majority of their income would be attributed to the nil tax home state. Same with Team Y, the player wouldn't have all of their income at 13%.

But yeah, was thinking the same thing, shouldn't be hard to try and estimate what the advantage or disadvantages are. It's not an exact science though, lots of complications around bonus structures, etc., so the high level determined caps by team would need review and agreement by all involved.

Reactions: HansonBro

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Don’t think that works, unless get rid of signing bonuses. Look at Matthew’s as an American playing in Canada. He only pays 15% taxes on his 95% bonus money.

Just one example.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
This feels like you intend it to be a dunk, but it's important to realize (and is pointed out in every thread on the topic) that income taxes are not the only advantage/disadvantage that certain markets have, and possibly not even the most meaningful one.
I agree with this but while it may not be the most meaningful one it is meaningful and more importantly, the NHL has control over it. They can adjust the cap and fix this problem. They can't change the weather or cost of living in the various cities.

Reactions: LiseL

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Pretty minor and insignificant issue that fans want to make into a big and meaningful issue. Most of the no state tax markets are also currently highly desirable markets for reasons beyond that.
Yeah, because the teams are good.

The no-tax "advantage" did f*** all for Florida for 20 years, and now everyone is up in arms about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad