NHL Making Contingency Plans for Arena-less Coyotes? (All Relo Speculation Here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think at worst they will play in the Suns arena this year. if Phoenix doesn't agree to a new arena, then they might take off. However, I think hockey in the Phoenix market is Bettman's baby and he will do everything humanly possible to see it through.

It really depends on how much time they have left to get 2015-16 issue figured out, playing in suns arena may not be an option.

For the Co-Tenant with the Suns crowd. I believe that's probably the only option now for the franchise staying in the region. That said, shooing away all the "depends on Sarver" etc., I could see this happening (and the viability) IF Barroway et al weren't already heavily leveraged. I feel the revenues from being back closer to the center would absolutely improve however the make up of this group seriously lacks the wherewithal to continue taking hits of greater than say $15M. Lose the subsidy, gain a modest uptick in revenues (assuming a partnership with Sarver is somewhat beneficial) but lose again on current obligations... tough hoe.

Especially the timeline involving the Suns lease (years left), getting things in motion to get a new Arena groundbreaking.

I agree with that there. If there talking years before suns get the new arena, then Phoenix isn't an option.

Last edited:

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Why do people think QC playing in the West is a good idea? Temporary or not, it would be an abomination. The reason why it worked for Winnipeg was because Winnipeg is in the center of the NHL map. Quebec would be the most eastern part of the NHL map. It's just a bad idea.

Quebec is closer to CHI, STL, MIN than Winnipeg to FLA, TB, CAR, etc.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Don't worry, it won't be Quebec, so we won't have to worry about it.

Quebec is getting an expansion team.

So what is the NHL gonna do about the unbalance problem? I don't think NHL wants to expand to Quebec. Quebec will be getting a team, as i do not see the panthers staying put long term.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Why would Quebec have to play in the West ? The NHL could put them in the East and recreate the divisions and conferences. They would just have to create the best divisions/conferences with the objective of minimizing the distances/travels of the teams. They can do that with computers and AI. The balance problem of conference is inexistent. Let the numbers talk by themselves and we will get the best possible divisions.

Pretty sure the schedules are almost all created by computer and AI too. Don't think it's that much of a problem if one city replaces another.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Quebec isn't getting **** unless the league has no other choice.

I don't think that's the case. I just think Quebec is where Quebec is and has the population it does and it makes it tough. Huge hockey town and will have major success, just a small splash outside of gate revenue.

Next eastern relocation is pretty much QC's. It's got to be.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
So what is the NHL gonna do about the unbalance problem? I don't think NHL wants to expand to Quebec. Quebec will be getting a team, as i do not see the panthers staying put long term.

I don't think they really care when it comes down to it. I think people on here put way too much into the whole 17-13 thing. Would the NHL love for everything to be balanced and simple, of course. However, I do not think the league would stay out of a potentially great market just for the sake of balance. IF Quebec is the best option, like someone said on one of the other threads, put them in the Central, Colorado in the Pacific. Yes, I am sure the Quebec fans would want to be in the same division as the Habs, but that can be worked out down the road if there is an expansion or another relocation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think they really care when it comes down to it. I think people on here put way too much into the whole 17-13 thing. Would the NHL love for everything to be balanced and simple, of course. However, I do not think the league would stay out of a potentially great market just for the sake of balance. IF Quebec is the best option, like someone said on one of the other threads, put them in the Central, Colorado in the Pacific. Yes, I am sure the Quebec fans would want to be in the same division as the Habs, but that can be worked out down the road if there is an expansion or another relocation.

NHL wants all eastern time zone teams in the same conference. Thats why its 14/16 in the first place.

NHL will not have quebec in the western conference if there is no way to realign them to the eastern conference while still keeping it 16/16

They'll go 15/17 as last resort if Coyotes either goes to Seattle or Vegas.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
NHL wants all eastern time zone teams in the same conference. Thats why its 14/16 in the first place.

NHL will not have quebec in the western conference if there is no way to realign them to the eastern conference while still keeping it 16/16

They'll go 15/17 as last resort if Coyotes either goes to Seattle or Vegas.
They claim they want it, but it doesn't mean it is an absolute necessity.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Why is there this notion that the Red Wings seemingly run this league?

Who says Detroit and/or Columbus can't move to the Western Conference? Sure, they wouldn't like it, but I don't get why people seem to think it's impossible. In the end realignment isn't up to the Detroit Red Wings.

Because it's politics. You don't accomplish anything by forcing someone, especially someone with power and tenure, to do things against their will.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They claim they want it, but it doesn't mean it is an absolute necessity.

If the NHL doesn't want to have quebec in the western conference and doesn't want it to be 15-17, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Quebec, Vegas and Seattle seem the most likely.

Has anyone considered Atlanta or Milwaukee as a possibility?

Atlanta isn't getting a 3rd team and its unlikely Milwaukee is going to get a NHL team.

JeanQuebecois

Feb 28, 2015
Gatineau, Québec
I grewth up as a Nordiques fan. Nothing would overjoy me more than seeing my childhood love coming back but I got used to the heartbreak over the years than I'm quite jaded by now. Bettman will pick Québec only if all other options fails.

I think Seatle is the most logical destination considering the NHL lacks a presence in the pacific northwest and it's a pretty huge market. I really believe they should avoid Vegas at all cost due to the obvious gambling issue but they will go with it 100/100 times before Québec. I'd go with Houston before Vegas personally... I visited the city for only a couple of days but even with just that, I could tell they're is a lot of money in that area!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
QC gets the team or nobody does. Instant success, and those fans will love that team to death.

Sending it off to Vegas would be the ultimate final insult.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
QC gets the team or nobody does. Instant success, and those fans will love that team to death.

Sending it off to Vegas would be the ultimate final insult.

Its not QC gets team or contract. NHL will not contract any teams. QC will be the last option after going through all western city options.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
Why do people think QC playing in the West is a good idea? Temporary or not, it would be an abomination. The reason why it worked for Winnipeg was because Winnipeg is in the center of the NHL map. Quebec would be the most eastern part of the NHL map. It's just a bad idea.

I don't think anyone thinks that QC playing in the West is a good idea, but given the time frame that there is any what cities could make that transition the the short time there is QC is the best option.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
if Quebec offers $500 million, why would the other 29 owners sign off? They don't see any of that money... they would tell Quebec to wait a year for an expansion team so they can get their cut.

Seattle and Vegas are more questionable on the expansion fee front so make more sense. Portland isn't even in the running so may make the most sense.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
if Quebec offers $500 million, why would the other 29 owners sign off? They don't see any of that money... they would tell Quebec to wait a year for an expansion team so they can get their cut.

Seattle and Vegas are more questionable on the expansion fee front so make more sense. Portland isn't even in the running so may make the most sense.

Ever heard of the relocation fee ?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ever heard of the relocation fee ?

Expansion fee will always be more than a relocation fee.

Quebec will get a team it just won't be coyotes unless last final resort. It won't be expansion unless last final resort. Its going to be an eastern conference team that has to relocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad