NHL/hockey TV ratings 2024-25

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
-NHL on TNT avg viewership Tuesday-

Devils-Rangers: 146k

Golden Knights-Avalanche: ??? (Haven't seen a # for this yet)

Previous #'s for TNT's annual preseason doubleheader:

-2023-
Bruins-Rangers: 305k
Avs-VGK: 190k

-2022-
Bruins-Rangers: 268k
Stars-Avs: 140k

-2021-
Bruins-Flyers: 232k
VGK-Kings: 133k
Down huge from prior years. Not off to a good start.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Classic reason why the western US is always a lower value live sports broadcasting proposition than the Midwest, East, and South. College sports is proof enough of that.

Too many other lifestyle options and an outdoor culture (hiking, kayaking, fishing, camping, surfing, etc); even in winter time (skiing, snowboarding, etc) that we just don't get the high ratings.

This is why I stopped watching football; it just took over the whole Sunday for NFL and Saturday for college, and I'd rather be active on one of the few true days off.

I always wondered if DVR/Tivo recordings counted towards ratings; as that is how I plan my sports watching; if I can watch it at the end of the day after kids go to bed and all our activities are over then it works for me; but not sure if the networks count that (me skipping past commercials probably is a reason why it doesn't).
I don't think it is that. About 75% of the US population live in ET and CT. So of course everything will be catered to those time zones. The other time zones make up a much smaller percentage of viewership numbers which is hurt by the kickoff/puck drop timings.

Reactions: rojac

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-NHL on TNT avg viewership Tuesday-

Devils-Rangers: 146k

Golden Knights-Avalanche: ??? (Haven't seen a # for this yet)

Previous #'s for TNT's annual preseason doubleheader:

-2023-
Bruins-Rangers: 305k
Avs-VGK: 190k

-2022-
Bruins-Rangers: 268k
Stars-Avs: 140k

-2021-
Bruins-Flyers: 232k
VGK-Kings: 133k

139k for VGK-Avs

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-NHL on ESPN avg viewership last night-

Blues-Kraken: 348k
*Bruins-Panthers: 790k
Blackhawks-Utah: 522k

*Non-exclusive game

Last edited:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
-NHL on ESPN avg viewership last night-

Blues-Kraken: 348k
*Bruins-Panthers: 790k
Blackhawks-Utah: 522k

*Non-exclusive game
There were so many other possible combinations that would have drawn more interest than these. Aside from the Bruins and Panthers game, I had zero interest in the other two. They need to look to the NBA on how to schedule important dates. NBA is starting with Knicks and Celtics.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
The NHL probably should just lean more on Toronto for openning night. Also how on earth is the first game non exclusive? That's just abysmal by the league.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
There were so many other possible combinations that would have drawn more interest than these. Aside from the Bruins and Panthers game, I had zero interest in the other two. They need to look to the NBA on how to schedule important dates. NBA is starting with Knicks and Celtics.

The NHL and it's broadcast partners aren't particularly good at scheduling / putting together the national broadcast schedule. Tis known. When the national broadcast schedule came out this year a ton stood out, negatively. Not just "opening night."

No matter what the early game wouldn't do a great number so that wasn't unexpected. Though, it still didn't reach the low expectations it had to start with. PTZ and CTZ in that game obviously makes little sense. From what I was told when the schedule was released, and what I read recently, Seattle basically wanted to be a part of opening night on ESPN -who was going to have a tripleheader either way- and for all intents and purposes volunteered for that game. Doesn't excuse the NHL/ESPN actually scheduling it. The resulting average viewership is what happens when you make decisions like that.

The late game, always was going to showcase Utah as the "new team." That seemed predictable in advance of the schedule release, to me. So I don't have much issue with the choice and I was surprised at the number. Expected better. In normal circumstances, obviously would want another game there.

The NHL probably should just lean more on Toronto for openning night. Also how on earth is the first game non exclusive? That's just abysmal by the league.

That was solely due to the hurricane. Was late change to make it available locally in Panthers market. And obviously was a late decision to make it a remote broadcast by ESPN. I think they handled everything well enough in that regard, considering the circumstances.

So the non-exclusive didn't help the BOS-FLA #, but the Panthers aren't exactly a national draw in the regular season, historically. But sort of like how Utah 'had to' be part of opening night, so did the Cup champs/banner raising.

Which isn't ideal with Florida since they naturally took the premier slot on opening night, that you would otherwise want Bruins-Rangers and/or the like in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad