GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
As much of an impact player as Nuke is when he is actually available (he’s one of my favourite Avs of all time when he is on the ice), I’m desperately hoping the management team is able to move him to someone willing to take the gamble
Think it's too late. For better or worse Nuke will be part of the team unless something crazy happens, like Crosby wanting to join the Avs.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, Nuke isn't worth the gamble again in the playoffs. I'd bet he will test positive in the season again.
You know it will happen, we will buy out Nuke and he will win the Stanley Cup with the Oilers. They always sign every scumbag. Okay, maybe Nuke isn't scumbag but struggled soul for sure.

Vomit.

One thing we can possibly look forward too, if he tests positive, his contract will be terminated/suspended indefinitely and we'll have 6 million to spend at the deadline.

We need the six mil way earlier than deadline. This team is way too thin. It will be a brutal regular season again. MacK and Rantanen will be sick of hockey by February.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Is this bad?

FihnCRI.png

Downie was polarising, but we became an absolute beast with him in the team. I didn't want us to mess with the chemistry we were building at that time, but from memory, we traded away Downie for Maxim Talbot (who was an amazing player in his own right) and it seemed.to slow the momentum we had at the time.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Downie was polarising, but we became an absolute beast with him in the team. I didn't want us to mess with the chemistry we were building at that time, but from memory, we traded away Downie for Maxim Talbot (who was an amazing player in his own right) and it seemed.to slow the momentum we had at the time.

But “cup experience…”

I don’t miss the days of acquiring the non-core guys of cup teams and trying to fool ourselves into thinking that it mattered.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I would say they are done with signings. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Girard for the right deal. A lot of teams are still barely at the floor (Calgary and Anaheim) and every rebuild values experience. Shedding his cap hit would go a long way for this season and beyond. Time will tell.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I would say they are done with signings. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Girard for the right deal. A lot of teams are still barely at the floor (Calgary and Anaheim) and every rebuild values experience. Shedding his cap hit would go a long way for this season and beyond. Time will tell.

Who would move into the top 4 on D then?

Avs have one of the best top 6 and top 4 in the league. Don’t mess with it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Braanstrom contract tells me that the Avs would have trouble to move Girard anyway.

G is better but they are very similar players with the same strengths and weaknesses.

One is making 900k for 1 year and you could have him for free..the other you have to trade for him and he makes 5M X 3.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The Braanstrom contract tells me that the Avs would have trouble to move Girard anyway.

G is better but they are very similar players with the same strengths and weaknesses.

One is making 900k for 1 year and you could have him for free..the other you have to trade for him and he makes 5M X 3.
Can we stop talking about Brännström like he isn't completely dogshit?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Landeskog needs to PLAY. We are beyond the point of holding him out to get him more ready. He's already missed 2 full seasons. He misses another one and he just might not be able to get back into the swing of the NHL anymore. I'm hoping for an October/November return at the latest.
Brethren, with all due respect he was supposed to play six months ago and another six months before that. He got the extra surgery and now they're going to be extra cautious with him. I would be shocked if he plays at the season opener or any time this year 2024. He probably gets his first game somewhere around March after the Four Nations gimmick and at that point, he should honestly be shut down until the playoffs. Think about it, we could've used his money for Marchessault if he already tested out his leg and realised he couldn't play anymore. I want Landeskog back as much as anybody, but we're approaching three years now and at some point, you have to come to the conclusion from the Avs point of view that he's handicapping the team more than helping. Has that point come yet? Not sure yet, but I do know that Avs missed out on an extremely good free-agent class because of this situation.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can we stop talking about Brännström like he isn't completely dogshit?
He isn't, but one of the Avs biggest kryptonite of the past couple of seasons is heavy forechequing teams (Vegas, Dallas, and some degree Seattle) and you're supposed to improve in those weaknesses, but Avs got absolutely worse in this regard with him in the top 6. He got eaten alive by clubs like Florida, Carolina, Boston, and Philly before they fell off the cliff.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Just because Brännström signed for free with the Avs doesn't mean he would have signed the same deal with any other team. Some markets are undesired by free agents and so Girard having some term would actually be attractive for certain teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad