GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Our current D group:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
DeHaan - Malinski
MacDonald
Rosen
Behrens

MacDonald getting $575k as his AHL salary is probably indicative that the Avs intend on keeping him up as the 21st roster guy (13F/7D) more often than not.

That said ideally there will be another solid addition on the 3rd pairing to push guys down another spot, though that would mean having to waive Malinski and/or DeHaan at the start of the year.

In terms of alternatives there are still quite a few interesting names available on D:

LD
Schmidt
Suter
Scandela
Goligoski
Kylington

RD
Barrie
Zaitsev
Klingberg
Schultz
Boqvist
Brännström
DeAngelo
Philippe Myers
Lindström
Bortuzzo
Shattenkirk
Zboril

Schmidt and Suter would be nice additions assuming that they don't price themselves out from the Avs reach.

Kylington, Boqvist, Klingberg, and Brännström would be interesting reclamation's, even though they probably aren't the PK-ing type you ideally want on the bottom pairing.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Pretty mind blowing how far off Klingbergs game has fallen. I have a feeling they want to give Malinski a shot as the 3rd pairing RD but if they could fit a guy like Shattenkirk or Brannstrom as insurance, that would be great.

Also not sure why everyone has been calling for Suter. There's a reason he's been brought out twice now. For reasons unknown, he's been called a bad teammmate. Stay away.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman21 Will the Avs be able to accrue capspace for the deadline whilst Nichushkin is out until November (assuming Landeskog is off LTIR to start the year)? Or does Nichushkin effectively block accrual like any typical LTIR situation?

With Nichushkin off the roster the Avs will have ~$3m unused cap when running a 22 man roster which would accrue quite a lot. But I guess most likely he does count as LTIR so that idea would be moot.
Yes… but this is where the effective cap hit for Nuke being ~5m comes into play. As soon as he’s back the Avs will be above the cap with Nuke’s cap hit at 6.125 and eating into that accrual daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
WtJyXzZ.png
Ok, if we can get Tkachuk back in exchange for him, i will consider it :-P

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Yes… but this is where the effective cap hit for Nuke being ~5m comes into play. As soon as he’s back the Avs will be above the cap with Nuke’s cap hit at 6.125 and eating into that accrual daily.
Can you please explain why the cap hit goes back to 6.125 once Nuke comes back? I thought that since he's suspended without pay, Avs will owe him less this year than agreed in the contract, hence the AAV would be lower. So I thought it would remain lower the whole year...
Thanks.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Liked what the Oilers did yesterday. Other than that a lot of bad contracts signed. What are the Kraken doing giving out those huge contracts to Montour and Stephanson? Those will age terribly.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Liked what the Oilers did yesterday. Other than that a lot of bad contracts signed. What are the Kraken doing giving out those huge contracts to Montour and Stephanson? Those will age terribly.
Friedman said yesterday, that Seattle realizes that their time is up, they need to make a splash and try to become competitive. NBA is returning to Seattle in a few years, and Kraken have wasted a few years already being mediocre AF.

Not saying that's the way to do it, it absolutely shouldn't be it, but they are feeling the pressure to become better and doing it by overpaying people.

Favorites in the west definitely.
Never. Can't wait for next season when they will take a step back and fizzle out in the 2nd round the latest. Most likely 1st round.

Not going to lie, they did some good stuff. But having both Perry (who has just been in the SCF the last few years) and Skinner (who has never played a single playoff game ever) has to result in somekind of a middle ground

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Can you please explain why the cap hit goes back to 6.125 once Nuke comes back? I thought that since he's suspended without pay, Avs will owe him less this year than agreed in the contract, hence the AAV would be lower. So I thought it would remain lower the whole year...
Thanks.
He misses the paychecks during that time that he is out, but he receives his paychecks at the same rate when he returns. Now the daily cap hit is simply AAV/# days in the season. In Nuke's case that is $33k per day (he loses more money than this since his salary next season is 8m) It is exactly like adding a player at the deadline, you absorb the contract moving forward and pay that rate. Any amount that you've accrued up to that point can be utilized to cover any resulting overage. At no point can your cumulative cap hit exceed the maximum amount season to date.

The Oilers and Devils had great days. They are both better today than they were prior. Seattle, Boston, and Nashville are both better teams, but they aren't moving to contenders and it'll probably hurt in couple seasons.

I'm really intrigued by what Washington has done. They've taken on a bunch of risk, but they've added a bunch of talent. Not to a contending level or anything... but that looks like a solid playoff team if the risks don't blow up.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Same. Think the Oilers have set themselves up well. Getting a top 4 dman at the deadline will be of importance for them I would imagine, but they look to be in a great spot for next season.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad