GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
I've been saying...

Keeping all the big names and trading away the younger cheaper guys was always going to bite them in the ass. Nuke and Landy just accelerated that timeline.
yep, been saying the same since during the season. But folks on here get really pissy at the mention of trading moose. The is no way the avs pay him $12-$13 million per season. Trading him now for a huge package is the right thing to do

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
yep, been saying the same since during the season. But folks on here get really pissy at the mention of trading moose. The is no way the avs pay him $12-$13 million per season. Trading him now for a huge package is the right thing to do
Ahhh shades of MacK isn't getting 11+m.

• Haha
Reactions: jabubenice

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Almost everyone here has said that the thought needs to be entertained, there’s only a couple of folks who are dead against it. Whether it’s the right move or not, only time will tell, but the cap is in such a state that every option needs to be explored.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Sure, give me a realistic package and we can discuss it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm actually glad we have no cap space, because this free agency is insane.

So many teams are shooting themselves in the foot imo.

Seattle already has Beniers, Gourde, McCann down the middle with Wright and a million promising prospects waiting in the wings... and overpays another middle 6 center until he's 37.

Nashville had a decent little resurgence and decided they wanted to open up old boys country club 2.0.

Columbus has a bunch of promising young players and sign Monahan to eat up those prime offensive minutes instead of help provide sheltering minutes.

Treliving doing Treliving things in Toronto. That team is a mess on paper.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think you rather risk it, especially since the Habs are counting on this guy to become contender anyway.
If you take his first 1.5 seasons, he looked like a guy you bridge. The last half of this past year he looked like a guy who may get 10m. The oddity is they had a year to figure out which he is.

Ok @henchman21, who's Chase Bradley?
A bad hockey player

• Haha
Reactions: UncleRisto

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If you take his first 1.5 seasons, he looked like a guy you bridge. The last half of this past year he looked like a guy who may get 10m. The oddity is they had a year to figure out which he is.
The fact is, if he really busts, you buy it out. If he hits, you have a steal of a deal, and you need those when you are actually contending for a cup.

Bet on talent.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's awfully risky. If he plays like he finished the season, fantastic deal. If he regresses, it could be ugly.
Pretty much all of his production last year was the result of hard work and high IQ plays, he's not relying on luck or pure skills. He's also a fantastic player away from the puck, I'd not be too worried about that contract.

One-trick pony Caufield, on the other hand...that's the contract that'd worry me. I'm not even sure it's a guy that you want as part of your core.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I love Slafkovsky. I think he has the potential to be a more skilled Gabriel Landeskog. That could be an absolute steal in 2-3 years.
Montreal has been patient enough with him, and given him a top role. Starting to pan out.

Similar style of player, Kakko was much superior in every regard before the draft. His development stalled in New York. Slaf was nothing that special, showed some flashes but could not establish himself really. Yet now he looks like a future super star. Arguably played like one already at the end of the season.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I've been saying...

Keeping all the big names and trading away the younger cheaper guys was always going to bite them in the ass. Nuke and Landy just accelerated that timeline.

Who exactly are the ones that got away? All the younger cheaper guys are throw away types. Aside from Byram and Newhook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad