GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Takes 2 parties to sign a contract. Obviously this is where they landed. You're giving ideal case scenarios in the Avs favor but you can't force Mitts to sign it.

Plus realistically our window if pretty much closed on 3 years, so better to keep his AAV down in those 3 years then go more term and more money.
The trade value of Mitts at ~1m more for the final 2 seasons is worth more than letting him walk.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
The deal signals the long-term ask was around 7. But the 3 years is the entire issue with the contract. If the AAV was closer to 5, it would be a lot better. Or if the AAV was 6.5 but the term was 5 or 6 years, it would be a lot better. The Avs got a poor mix of the two. He's a fantastic player and worth 5.75m, just the structure is off.

Maybe for five years I can see the ask being around 7, maybe a touch more. I feel like years 4, 5, 6 and maybe even 7 would have been extremely expensive.

Let's see if the Avs re-sign him after his deal is done.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
If Nashville gives Stammer 8mil on anything more than 2 years they're insane. He's still a solid player but this is the downswing part of his HOF career.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Trotz last year: we’re going to retool the right way.

Trotz this year: SIGN ALL THE FREE AGENTS
Should have traded for Marner instead when he had the cap space to do it

Grandpas Stamkos and Marchessault are very unlikely to live up to those contracts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Stammer is a negative player 5v5 now, but he can still pop near 20g on the PP. That has some good value (not $8m though). Curious to see how Nashville will deploy him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad