GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Last year in the offseason:

Newhook for picks.

Picks for Colton.

Ryjo signing.

Ryjo had to pay to get rid of him. Colton is cock blocking cap space and it's supposedly difficult to move him.

Why are you complaining Cmac isn't doing anything?

Everything he touches turns to shit. From a dominant 16-4 cup winner to losing to the Kraken then getting dummied by a Dallas team who bought out a top 4 defense and won't even qualify another guy.

Cmac could somehow trade a 1st rounder for a 4th rounder.

You should be rejoicing he's not doing anything.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Last year in the offseason:

Newhook for picks.

Picks for Colton.

Ryjo signing.

Ryjo had to pay to get rid of him. Colton is cock blocking cap space and it's supposedly difficult to move him.

Why are you complaining Cmac isn't doing anything?

Everything he touches turns to shit. From a dominant 16-4 cup winner to losing to the Kraken then getting dummied by a Dallas team who bought out a top 4 defense and won't even qualify another guy.

Cmac could somehow trade a 1st rounder for a 4th rounder.

You should be rejoicing he's not doing anything.

I’m nearing @chet1926 levels of hate for CMac. Guy never does the easy and obvious move

Reactions: dahrougem2

EdAVSfan

Aug 28, 2009
Did they though? They essentially hoped to find a budget solution for 2C, and used budget solutions for the depth. Drouin worked out, they had to pay to get rid of RyJo, then finally had to pay to actually get a 2C. None of that screams “proactive”
Yes they did.

What they prepare for the regular season is not important. How they prepare the team for the playoffs is what matters. For the playoffs, they did pretty much everything this fanbase expected.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Did they though? They essentially hoped to find a budget solution for 2C, and used budget solutions for the depth. Drouin worked out, they had to pay to get rid of RyJo, then finally had to pay to actually get a 2C. None of that screams “proactive”
You can argue about the success/failure of the moves... But yeah you absolutely cannot deny that they've been pretty aggressive over the last year. Since getting eliminated by Seattle last year, the Avs:

- Traded Newhook for a 1st + 2nd
- Traded that 2nd for Colton
- Traded for RyJo @50%
- Signed Drouin and Tatar for cheap
- Traded Tatar within 3 months because he wasn't working out
- Dumped RyJo in 6 months because he wasn't working out.
- Traded for Walker
- Traded Byram for Mitts
- Traded 3rds for both Trenin and Duhaime

That is a f***ing lot of movement. It hasn't all worked out. But they're clearly being as aggressive as they realistically can be, given the situation with the cap they're currently stuck in.

Folks have got to understand the Avs have very little cap space right now. Essentially nothing for that matter. They have just enough space today to fill out a 21 or 22 man roster with guys making ~$1M or less. They dont have anymore room to do anything else.

And sure, if they traded Colton they'd free up $4M in space. Guess what, they'd also create a significant hole in the lineup by doing so. One that would arguably take $2-3M at minimum just to fill it up with a weaker player in that role. And for what, $1-2M additional cap space that really doesn't give them much room to do anything else.

They're in a real tough spot right now with the Nuke and Landy situations, and other teams also know this. CMac alluded to as much just a couple days ago at the draft. Its not fun to be a team desperate for cap space and other teams recognizing this. They're probably trying to trade Colton, and getting absolute shit all for offers in return, because teams know the Avs really want that space.

Also, they did some good things at the draft. Trading down from 24 to 38 and picking up a 2025 2nd is a good move. That gives them some key firepower for the deadline next year. Its a good sign the Avs likely recognize the roster isn't going to be strong enough to win at the start of this year, and will need to add at the deadline again next year. This gives them some ammunition to do that.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yes they did.

What they prepare for the regular season is not important. How they prepare the team for the playoffs is what matters. For the playoffs, they did pretty much everything this fanbase expected.

That’s where I disagree, the season isn’t just just the deadline, it’s the work from previous seasons, from the pre-season, the season itself and then the deadline. Compare the Avs management to the other big contenders and I’d argue that they are the most passive. Vegas, Florida and Tampa are very aggressive for example

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That’s where I disagree, the season isn’t just just the deadline, it’s the work from previous seasons, from the pre-season, the season itself and then the deadline. Compare the Avs management to the other big contenders and I’d argue that they are the most passive. Vegas, Florida and Tampa are very aggressive for example
How in the world were we passive this last year…?

EdAVSfan

Aug 28, 2009
I have no idea how you can look at the totality of the moves from last year and think they were passive.
If those 3 teams are the measurement, 90% of the league is considered passive

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I have no idea how you can look at the totality of the moves from last year and think they were passive.
If those 3 teams are the measurement, 90% of the league is considered passive

I’m not using just last year as evidence of the management of this team being passive, I’m saying as a totality it is. This dates well beyond this season, and even beyond CMac’s tenure as GM. The Avs had a beautiful window where Makar and MacK were stupid cheap for the impact they brought. In that time period they went for it exactly one time. They went for it last year, but my argument is that they don’t always address the obvious deficits until there is just a small sliver for success

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00