GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't know if anyone else caught it but yesterday during day 2 of the draft they interviewed CMac on sportsnet after the Nabokov pick and asked him a bunch of questions. At one point, they asked about free agency and the fact that they can re-sign Rantanen on July 1st and his response was kind of interesting.

He seemed to be taken aback a little bit by the question and then kind of regurgitated a bit of a made-up answer.. Something like "well, we're definitely going to check-in with his agent here in the next couple of days..."

Just thought it was weird because in my mind, that part would have been done a long time ago.

I'm still holding out hope that he makes the right call and moves him out to get a big-time haul back as well as lots of cap-space or a player like B.Tkachuk.
I think that just shows that both the club and the player are on the right page: they want him re-signed, but are not in a terrible hurry to get a deal done because the Avs have so much other stuff going on. Though I would have to imagine they have a ballpark of a deal in mind, need to know that if you are making deals.

As for the bolded, just so unlikely to happen. The contracts are so disproportionate. We would be the ones paying a haul for Brady Tkachuk, not the other way around.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If I'm honest, if the deal is Colton + Ritchie + 1st for Askarov....

I might still do it. Maybe ask for Pärssinen from the Preds.
But then we will somehow need to get rid of Georgie. Georgie is not going to be happy and we all know what happens when Georgie is mad.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think that just shows that both the club and the player are on the right page: they want him re-signed, but are not in a terrible hurry to get a deal done because the Avs have so much other stuff going on. Though I would have to imagine they have a ballpark of a deal in mind, need to know that if you are making deals.

As for the bolded, just so unlikely to happen. The contracts are so disproportionate. We would be the ones paying a haul for Brady Tkachuk, not the other way around.
Not really. It doesn't show that at all. If they haven't asked what it's going to take to re-sign him long-term and don't have that info as soon as possible, they are doing it wrong.

That's when you let shit like this drag-on and the further it goes, the more leverage the player has and the trade market dries up. Then, you get into a situation where you're trying to make a run, so you're not moving him at the TDL so then you're looking at getting something done after the season. At that point, the player has ALL the leverage and can choose to test the market and you potentially risk losing the guy for nothing. Unacceptable.

Reactions: MacKaRant

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Only explanation I have is some sort of Battlestar Galactica marathon happening thats keeping Cmac from making any moves.
I have another one
ezgif-1-a305f342db.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad