GDT: NHL Entry Draft 2018 - June 22nd & 23rd - 4:30 PM

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We’ve got a real locker room full of real guys. I don’t think I’d mess with that for such a slight upgrade. You do that if you can’t get out of the 2nd round of the playoffs every year and you need to shuffle a deck chair or two and hope it makes the difference.
Is it a slight upgrade? Maybe I'm underrating Stepan or overrating ROR, but I like ROR quite a bit more than Stepan.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Is it a slight upgrade? Maybe I'm underrating Stepan or overrating ROR, but I like ROR quite a bit more than Stepan.
Why? ROR is a career .65ppg and Stepan is a .70ppg on his career. Stepan played for better teams. So I’d call them evenly matched offensive contributors. ROR is considerably more effective defensively but Stepan is still good defensively, not bad, above average. So is the margin in the defensive play that important? I don’t think so.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Ugh really dont like the cost of ROR. 2-3 assets for a position we used the 3rd OA in a historically deep draft. Maybe if it is Dvo and not Strome going the other way. I also feel the likliehood of keeoing Galchenyuk drops significantly if we bring ROR on. Like rt said an addition like him is tweaking our roster, not adding an entire piece we need. I do the TyJo proposal we were coming up with over breaking the bank for ROR any day.

Reactions: OT OEL

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
idk, ROR would be amazing but thinking about it, if we traded perlini our wing depth would be pretty weak

Keller
Galchenyuk
Panik
Fischer
and the rest of the stickys.

Unless we're targeting UFA scoring wingers, or drafting Zadina, i'd rather just keep Perlini.

Reactions: moosemeister

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
O'Reilly doesn't have enough impact on total team offense to justify a return like that, IMO. What he brings in other areas is very nice to have but isn't really necessary from 1st line players. That can generally be made up for by relatively inexpensive players on the lower lines. Super premium acquisition costs should be reserved for true blue difference makers on offense. Those a class ahead of ROR. Just my opinion, though.

60 point two-way centers who can win 60% of their draws don't grow on trees. There's a very, very short list of those currently in the NHL - the only other who hits 60/60% off the top of my head is Bergeron, and I'm sure Boston would be asking similarly (if not for more) if teams were inquiring for Bergeron.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Ugh really dont like the cost of ROR. 2-3 assets for a position we used the 3rd OA in a historically deep draft. Maybe if it is Dvo and not Strome going the other way. I also feel the likliehood of keeoing Galchenyuk drops significantly if we bring ROR on. Like rt said an addition like him is tweaking our roster, not adding an entire piece we need. I do the TyJo proposal we were coming up with over breaking the bank for ROR any day.

I'm 100% on the TyJo train. I like his game a lot.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
idk, ROR would be amazing but thinking about it, if we traded perlini our wing depth would be pretty weak

Keller
Galchenyuk
Panik
Fischer
and the rest of the stickys.

Unless we're targeting UFA scoring wingers, or drafting Zadina, i'd rather just keep Perlini.

Yes, this. We need to be adding to our roster. Not moving two NHL players to bring in one. We add ROR by moving a winger and Stepan or something, then everyone is going to be complaining about hoe our great centers have no wingers to play with. Just like Buffalo.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
60 point two-way centers who can win 60% of their draws don't grow on trees. There's a very, very short list of those currently in the NHL - the only other who hits 60/60% off the top of my head is Bergeron, and I'm sure Boston would be asking similarly (if not for more) if teams were inquiring for Bergeron.
100 extra FO wins and great rather than good defensive ability puts ROR light years ahead of Stepan for you? Knowing Stepan is a great fit and a strong leader here. You’re still chomping at the bit to make up the margin between the two at the cost of major assets? You also lose are RHS in Stepan for a LHS in ROR.

I don’t think I’d trade Stepan for ROR. That’s a medium risk, low reward trade.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
My prediction is after a flurry of league wide moves up and down within the top ten, Montreal takes Zadina and everyone that moved around because they leaked Kotkaniemi is left going, "If I'd known, I would have stayed put. Now what".

Reactions: Mosby

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Yea, I'm not as high on ROR. Wouldn't pass up the lottery ticket that is Strome at this point for him with Stepan is here as well. ROR has never been a player that carries his teams to victories either even though he is a center. Stepan is a good comparable and he's in the 2c range.

I like him as a player but not at the cost it would likely take to get him right now.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
My prediction is after a flurry of league wide moves up and down within the top ten, Montreal takes Zadina and everyone that moved around because they leaked Kotkaniemi is left going, "If I'd known, I would have stayed put. Now what".
I’m not against taking Kotkaniemi at five if he’s there. This struggle to find a center thing sucks. I’m sick of it. I’m so bored of constantly failing at finding meaningful solutions, that I’m ready to just pick 7 centers this draft.

Reactions: OT OEL

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
100 extra FO wins and great rather than good defensive ability puts ROR light years ahead of Stepan for you? Knowing Stepan is a great fit and a strong leader here. You’re still chomping at the bit to make up the margin between the two at the cost of major assets? You also lose are RHS in Stepan for a LHS in ROR.

I don’t think I’d trade Stepan for ROR. That’s a medium risk, low reward trade.

ROR also adds in an extra 5-6 goals a year in addition to being superior in the dot, a better skater, and better defender. But I'm not at all for trading Stepan+ for ROR, either.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Why? ROR is a career .65ppg and Stepan is a .70ppg on his career. Stepan played for better teams. So I’d call them evenly matched offensive contributors. ROR is considerably more effective defensively but Stepan is still good defensively, not bad, above average. So is the margin in the defensive play that important? I don’t think so.
I'd say the defensive difference is significant. ROR is a shutdown center who also puts up points. The leadership and chemistry points are valid. If it's not a huge add to Stepan I'd do it, but I'm not also not the biggest Stepan fan. I'm probably being unfair, but his god awful start really sticks in my head.
Doug MacLean on the SN pre-draft coverage just said “Zadina I keep hearing hearing is the one Ottawa will take at four.” Damn.
Well shit. Fingers crossed for Hughes, Wahlstrom, or Bouchard.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Its a lot easier to find serviceable Defensemen later in the draft than it is Centers and Wingers that can play. Give me best forward available and im happy

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I’m not against taking Kotkaniemi at five if he’s there. This struggle to find a center thing sucks. I’m sick of it. I’m so bored of constantly failing at finding meaningful solutions, that I’m ready to just pick 7 centers this draft.
I'd rather have Wahlstrom (played some center), Tkachuk, Hughes, or Bouchard.

But I get it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Its a lot easier to find serviceable Defensemen later in the draft than it is Centers and Wingers that can play. Give me best forward available and im happy
I agree with this, at least in the top ten or so. After that, my positional bias disappears. At least for skaters. I still have Hughes and Bouchard over Kotkaniemi. Dobson is even with him.

I'll be happy with Zadina, Wahlstrom, or Tkachuk. One will be there.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad