GDT: NHL Draft R1 (6/28): 6pm CT (ESPN/ESPN+), R2-7 (6/29): 10:30am CT (NHLN/ESPN+)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't know anything about McGroarty. Why would he fit with the Wild? What's his strengths/weaknesses?

Decent size, heavy player, good shot, strong leadership qualities

Weakness is skating but that's improved since his draft and could continue to improve working with Ness, Rossi improved big time last summer so same could happen with McGroarty

Big time Guerin style player but skilled enough to actually play in a top six with guys like Rossi, Boldy, etc, like a rich man's Foligno maybe

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Decent size, heavy player, good shot, strong leadership qualities

Weakness is skating but that's improved since his draft and could continue to improve working with Ness, Rossi improved big time last summer so same could happen with McGroarty

Big time Guerin style player but skilled enough to actually play in a top six with guys like Rossi, Boldy, etc, like a rich man's Foligno maybe
That's just what we need. That would put Öhgren on the third line for starters, and I think that's what he need his first few years in NA.
Thanks.

Reactions: AKL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe a Backes who doesn't play C. I don't see giving up the farm for him, myself. I am bemused by those who think that all a player needs to do is have a few skating lessons with Ness to be fine, as if all the other players in the league don't have skating coaches, and McGroarty didn't in the past.

Everyone is trying to improve, all the time. It's not like McGroarty is the only one who will try to.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe a Backes who doesn't play C. I don't see giving up the farm for him, myself. I am bemused by those who think that all a player needs to do is have a few skating lessons with Ness to be fine, as if all the other players in the league don't have skating coaches, and McGroarty didn't in the past.

Everyone is trying to improve, all the time. It's not like McGroarty is the only one who will try to.

Mr. Passive Agressive, eh?

The only reason he fell to 14 to begin with was his skating. He'll never be an elite skater, but he doesn't have to be in order to be a very good player.

Point wasn't that Ness can turn him into McDavid, it's just that he can improve his skating.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Want/Nope 5. (could change in a couple of minutes)

1. Lindstrom. Size/C
2. Parekh. Roamer/D (or so they say) The next EK65?
3. Sennecke. Winger/size. Playmaker-puckhandler. Old Canadian boy.
4 Helenius. C/RW Finn. Need more of those. Hockey -IQ (wtf is that)
5. Eiserman. LW Shoots the f***ing puck! USA! USA!

NOPE!

1. Connelly. No comments.
2. Norweigan
3. Norweigan
4. Greentree. Wild is out of luck with the greens recently.
5. Chernyshov. Most likely a no-show.

Outsider:
Trade for McGroarty.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Want/Nope 5. (could change in a couple of minutes)

1. Lindstrom. Size/C
2. Parekh. Roamer/D (or so they say) The next EK65?
3. Sennecke. Winger/size. Playmaker-puckhandler. Old Canadian boy.
4 Helenius. C/RW Finn. Need more of those. Hockey -IQ (wtf is that)
5. Eiserman. LW Shoots the f***ing puck! USA! USA!

NOPE!

1. Connelly. No comments.
2. Norweigan
3. Norweigan
4. Greentree. Wild is out of luck with the greens recently.
5. Chernyshov. Most likely a no-show.

Outsider:
Trade for McGroarty.
But a couple of tough Vikings on the Wild could protect all those soft Swedes :sarcasm:

• Haha

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The history of every draft says 50% of the top 10 picks aren't going to be what people want/hope/think they're going to be, let alone #13. I just want a defensible pick, with traits I like. After that, just flip a damn coin as to how it's going to work out.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
The history of every draft says 50% of the top 10 picks aren't going to be what people want/hope/think they're going to be, let alone #13. I just want a defensible pick, with traits I like. After that, just flip a damn coin as to how it's going to work out.
If there was one controversial pick I can see BG making, it would be picking Solberg.

He is a d-man, he's strong and big and two-way guy, he's going to Farjestad to develop, he's played for Norway in WJC 20 and men's WC. And he's a fast riser up in the rankings late in the season. But he's upside is probably #3-4 and not as flashy as an Eiserman (but who has a much bigger bust potential).

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
If there was one controversial pick I can see BG making, it would be picking Solberg.

He is a d-man, he's strong and big and two-way guy, he's going to Farjestad to develop, he's played for Norway in WJC 20 and men's WC. And he's a fast riser up in the rankings late in the season. But he's upside is probably #3-4 and not as flashy as an Eiserman (but who has a much bigger bust potential).
Who would you rather have, Eiserman or Sennecke? Why?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Who would you rather have, Eiserman or Sennecke? Why?
Sennecke. I'm imagining all that tools meshing in together that I saw in the shift videos: 6-3 frame, very good stick skills, uses his body well to position and win puck battles. Reminds me of Boldy. Very multi-faceted.

I think "goal-scoring" trait is overrated IMO, more specifically those one-dimensional players who teams still draft high because apparently goal-scoring is a "special trait", despite flaws in the other parts.

I think there are many ways to score goals - again with Boldy, he wasn't drafted as a "sniper" but a good quick release and uses all his other tools to generate offense. I just keep getting reminded of Yakupov, Wahlstrom, even Tippett took awhile to get to the NHL and he's still inconsistent.

I rather just get the 6-3 skilled forward that scored 22pts in 16 playoff games, and is going to keep developing on a good OHL team.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I legitimately think the only way Rutger doesn’t end up here is if one of the teams ahead of us in the draft (e.g., NJ) offers a better pick

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Sennecke. I'm imagining all that tools meshing in together that I saw in the shift videos: 6-3 frame, very good stick skills, uses his body well to position and win puck battles. Reminds me of Boldy. Very multi-faceted.

I think "goal-scoring" trait is overrated IMO, more specifically those one-dimensional players who teams still draft high because apparently goal-scoring is a "special trait", despite flaws in the other parts.

I think there are many ways to score goals - again with Boldy, he wasn't drafted as a "sniper" but a good quick release and uses all his other tools to generate offense. I just keep getting reminded of Yakupov, Wahlstrom, even Tippett took awhile to get to the NHL and he's still inconsistent.

I rather just get the 6-3 skilled forward that scored 22pts in 16 playoff games, and is going to keep developing on a good OHL team.
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate your insights on the prospects over the years.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Ok, some real talk here. The rules for tonight's drinking game.

1. The "Identity" word. DRINK!
2. "we got a trade alert!"
3. Every time the prospect f***s up the jersey donning.
4. When GMBG shows up drunk on screen.
5. When the prospect clearly looks disappointed in what team selected him.

Please post your suggestions!

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I wanna say there should be something every time Bettman is booed but we'd all have alcohol poisoning before the first pick

• Love

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

I was going to suggest "Draft pick's name gets completely butchered." but it sounds like Bettman is announcing every pick tonight and I didn't buy a 30 rack.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Anytime a GM congratulates the Florida Panthers.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay