GDT: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 - 8PM - NBCSN,SN,TVAS (upd: NJ 1st, NYR 2nd, CHI 3rd)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
THe Avs need some lottery luck after having the worst season in so many years 2 years ago and dropping from 1st to 4th. Tonight we get a top 2 pick. I am fine with Hughes or Kakko

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Too many dog**** teams in lottery have already selected top 3 in recent memory. Time for Chicago, LA and New York to pick there. Sit back Colorado fans and enjoy 4th. You’ve hit your top 3 pick limit this decade.

The Avs having a top pick this year isn't a result of them being a bad team though...big difference. It isn't a tank pick.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I was bored so I simulated the draft 100 times. Here are the results for the Top 3, and how many times they ended up at #1, #2 and #3.

Team#1#2#3
Anaheim Ducks4610
Arizona Coyotes130
Buffalo Sabres1286
Chicago Blackhawks241
Colorado Avalanche161715
Detroit Red Wings81212
Edmonton Oilers9108
Florida Panthers511
Los Angeles Kings141314
Minnesota Wild132
Montreal Canadiens000
New Jersey Devils15109
New York Rangers5711
Philadelphia Flyers456
Vancouver Canucks415
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lol at Edmonton winning it 9 times despite being 7th from the bottom.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I was bored so I simulated the draft 100 times. Here are the results for the Top 3, and how many times they ended up at #1, #2 and #3.

Team#1#2#3
Anaheim Ducks4610
Arizona Coyotes130
Buffalo Sabres1286
Chicago Blackhawks241
Colorado Avalanche161715
Detroit Red Wings81212
Edmonton Oilers9108
Florida Panthers511
Los Angeles Kings141314
Minnesota Wild132
Montreal Canadiens000
New Jersey Devils15109
New York Rangers5711
Philadelphia Flyers456
Vancouver Canucks415
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
lol at Montreal

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
The draft lottery and the draft itself are both major events around Edmonton, should be a lot of buzz in the city.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
LA has 2 Cups in the last decade, and Edmonton sure has flourished with 4 1st overalls (soon to be 5).

Fair enough about LA's past but it has nothing to do with them now. I'm a firm believer that if you're a bad team you get the pick.

Teams will tank but you know what? We can deal with it. It happens all the time in football and baseball and no one cares. The likes of MacKinnon, Stamkos, Hall, Hughes, Lafreniere etc... these are all guys you find every year. The likes of McDavid and Crosby you gotta wait 10-20 years and the whole reason we have a lottery is because of the 1993 draft and Alexandre Daigle. Blah blah tanking, blah blah the NHL found out the Sens DID NOT tank blah blah they made a lottery anyway. It's easy to overlook but few here have any comprehension of how lucky Tampa was in 2008 and 2009 to pick where we did. One bad bounce and we're picking 3rd instead of 2nd in 2009 and taking Matt Duchene instead of Victor Hedman. We get a small consolation prize in Drew Doughty after picking 2nd instead of 1st the year prior.

I think it's foolish that you play 82 games a year just so some ping pong balls can play almighty God with your draft position. Lucky for me I'm a Lightning fan and I got Stamkos and Hedman for my years of trouble.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Weird that we’re the one team you single out.
Right like it's it fault, Ottawa was stupid enough to trade us this pick.

I get why people are jealous and don't think we deserve it because we got MacK. But on this occasion we are actually a team attempting to get better and have now made the playoffs two years in a row. We just got lucky and or GM pulled off one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Anybody who thinks the lottery is s good idea and/or the mediocre teams should have the top picks needs their heads examined.

The entire point of the amateur draft is to distribute incoming talent so that the poorer teams can become competitive again. After all, it's a business, and each franchise owner has invested massive money in it. You need to maintain league parity and do what you can to avoid teams getting trapped at the bottom to ensure all your franchises are healthy.

Reactions: Alex Jones

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
i kind of like brian burke's idea of revamping the lottery. the 5 worst teams are the only teams to be in the lottery and he had a whole bunch of funkyness for teams not being able to pick #1 multiple years and top 3 and other situations. i don't often agree with burke but i agree with his premise that the worst teams need the help not a team like arizona or montreal who missed out on the playoffs by 4-5 points.

I'm right there with you. However, my tweak is a little different. If you MUST have a lottery I'd narrow it to the bottom 3 teams.

31st- 50% odds
30th- 25% odds
29th- 25% odds

These odds are fair and anyone who understands probability and statistics knows that a 25% chance is fantastic odds regardless if someone else's odds are twice as good. It is NOT unrealistic for either team 30th or 29th to win. Whoever wins, wins. That's it. No more draws for 2nd and 3rd. The worst thing that's gonna happen is someone moves down a spot or the order stays the same should 31st win the pick. The idea is to honor and preserve the finish of the season with respect to draft position.

I'd abolish the damn thing entirely but sadly it's not my choice

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm right there with you. However, my tweak is a little different. If you MUST have a lottery I'd narrow it to the bottom 3 teams.

31st- 50% odds
30th- 25% odds
29th- 25% odds

These odds are fair and anyone who understands probability and statistics knows that a 25% chance is fantastic odds regardless if someone else's odds are twice as good. It is NOT unrealistic for either team 30th or 29th to win. Whoever wins, wins. That's it. No more draws for 2nd and 3rd. The worst thing that's gonna happen is someone moves down a spot or the order stays the same should 31st win the pick. The idea is to honor and preserve the finish of the season with respect to draft position.

I'd abolish the damn thing entirely but sadly it's not my choice
They moved away from that to make it so tanking wasn't a viable option, which for the most part it helped.

PS: Oilers picking 1st overall, just watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad