NHL.com Super 16 for coaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Of this list, who’s most likely to fail? Who’s going to be the biggest riser and take their team to the next level?

Mike Sullivan at #5 is a travesty. The dude's guided the Pens to zero first round wins since 2018 and has missed the playoffs the past two seasons.

And that's just the "raw numbers".

In reality, his coaching has become stale, his system sucks, and he has zero adaptation in his way of doing things.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Coaching is way too fickle

Two years ago Paul Maurice was a washed up dinosaur per everybody :naughty:

I wonder how much impact coaching really has on the final results. Can you put a “bad” coach on the Panthers last season and still see them win the cup? If you put David Quinn as the head coach instead of Maurice does anything change? It does really get me wondering. Another example is Woodcroft. I am not convinced he forgot how to coach in 1 year. If he wasn’t fired, I am not sure he wouldn’t have achieved same thing as Knob.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wonder how much impact coaching really has on the final results. Can you put a “bad” coach on the Panthers last season and still see them win the cup? If you put David Quinn as the head coach instead of Maurice does anything change? It does really get me wondering. Another example is Woodcroft. I am not convinced he forgot how to coach in 1 year. If he wasn’t fired, I am not sure he wouldn’t have achieved same thing as Knob.

Knoblaugh/Coffey dramatically improved the Oilers defensive metrics.

Just as one example, their PK went from like the worst in the league under Woodcroft (he had tried something like 30 different player combinations in like 10 games) to one of the best almost overnight (they quickly change to a set group of PKers where everyone knew their role).

If that isn't an effect of coaching, I don't know what is.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Knoblaugh/Coffey dramatically improved the Oilers defensive metrics.

Just as one example, their PK went from like the worst in the league under Woodcroft (he had tried something like 30 different player combinations in like 10 games) to one of the best almost overnight (they quickly change to a set group of PKers where everyone knew their role).

If that isn't an effect of coaching, I don't know what is.

Ok, yea, that’s fair. But also, remember, Woodcroft had a great record when he replaced Tippet. I guess things do tend to get stale. I understand what you’re saying, though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sullivan is a good coach that has gone stale. I think he’d be pretty good with another franchise.

Best for both sides to move on at this point though.

Reactions: BHD

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I honestly believe Keefe is a top 5 coach in the league and will make people look dumb after what he does in New Jersey

Top 5 seems too high, but I get what you're saying. I, too, think he will redeem himself in New Jersey.
Keefe is a great regular season coach, he comes up with good systems but his fatal flaw is his lack of adaptability. In the post season when he plays the same team over and over they adapt where he will keep trying the same systems.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Sullivan 5th? Is it 2017 already? Crazy how much the hockey media glazes this dude year after year.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
If you showed Sullivan’s record the last 5 years not knowing it was him most people would have assumed he was canned. Why the NHL continues to think he’s a good coach is beyond my comprehension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad