Hart Trophy Tournament (1969-00) Round 4: 1971 Bobby Orr vs 1993 Mario Lemieux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Hart Trophy Winner had the better season?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #1 (Round 4): Bobby Orr (1971) vs Mario Lemieux (1993)

Bobby Orr (1970-71):

78 GP 37 G 102 A 139 Points 124+/- | 2nd in Scoring, 1st in Assists, 9th in Goals, Norris Trophy, 1st AST, 1st in Defensive Point shares, 1st in +/-

Mario Lemieux (1992-93):

60 Games Played 69 Goals 91 Assists 160 Points | 1st in Points, 3rd in Goals, 4th in Assists, Art Ross, Pearson/Lindsay Award, Masterton Trophy, 1st AST

Round 4 Matchups:
71 Orr vs 93 Lemieux
84 Gretzky vs 86 Gretzky

Round 3 Results

Crow

May 19, 2014
Would have been Mario but 60 games kills it for me. You don’t get credit for pace from me. If you can’t play you get no credit. Not really that close to me. Great 3/4 of a season though.

Last edited:
Reactions: norrisnick

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Orr had a PPG 1.72x 10th in the league

Lemieux had a PPG 1.79x 10th in the league

There's a clear Lemieux offensive lead, but I think Orr's insane offense gets underrated. It's not just insane for a defensemen. It's legitimately 5ish best offensive peak ever.

Until his knee injury in 1973, I think Orr was legitimately a top 5 defensive defensemen in the league. Maybe even the best in 1970.

Just insane levels of dominance. It's hard to comprehend a McDavid esque offense AND a Bergeron esque defense at the same time.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's Orr with some distance between them. It would be a great argument if Lemieux didn't miss over a quarter of the season, but he did. With Orr you get an elite defensive player for a full season, with Lemieux you get little to no defensive value for around three quarters of the season. Orr is likely the best possession player ever, Lemieux in 1993 was no slouch but he isn't on Orr's level in that regard. Lemieux's only edge is on offence, and he scored 21 points more than Orr did. Lemieux outscored Orr by 15%, which is obviously impressive, but he also played in a league where scoring was 16% higher. Orr outscored the number ten scorer that year by ~83%, Lemieux outscored the tenth leading scorer by ~30%. Orr's gap would grow if you removed teammates for both of them. Even accepting that Lemieux played in a strong league I'd say that offence is pretty close.

Orr played with the best offensive player that either of them played with that season in Esposito, but I think that Pittsburgh was a more talented team. Lemieux's linemates were all star level players when near their peaks (Stevens and Tocchet) and he also had a HHOF offensive defenceman in Murphy, plus had Francis and Jagr available for power play duty. Boston also had a deep and talented group of forwards, but I don't see any HHOF players other than Esposito without Orr's influence. Lemieux did play in a stronger league than Orr did, so I suppose he can have something of a boost from that, but there isn't much else Orr could have done. Boston had 7 of the league's top ten scorers that year, basically Orr and two forward lines, and the main thing they had in common other than being Bruins is that they all got to play with Orr. Both absolutely dominated at even strength - Boston dominated to around 3.2 goals for vs one against whenever Orr was on the ice at even strength, Pittsburgh scored around 2.3 goals for to one against when Lemieux was on the ice at even strength. Lemieux is probably the greatest power play player ever while Orr was merely great, so that's an edge for Lemieux. Orr was a much better penalty killer, which is a bigger edge.

To put it more succinctly, I'd say that Lemieux has a small edge offensively but Orr comfortably beats him outside of that. It's a very interesting comparison if Lemieux had been able to play the whole season. No shame in an all time great season and probably the most impressive, all things considered, season I can think of in any sport that I follow.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Orr had a PPG 1.72x 10th in the league

Lemieux had a PPG 1.79x 10th in the league

There's a clear Lemieux offensive lead, but I think Orr's insane offense gets underrated. It's not just insane for a defensemen. It's legitimately 5ish best offensive peak ever.

Until his knee injury in 1973, I think Orr was legitimately a top 5 defensive defensemen in the league. Maybe even the best in 1970.

Just insane levels of dominance. It's hard to comprehend a McDavid esque offense AND a Bergeron esque defense at the same time.
The whole league was massively weaker in 1971 than in 1993 though, defensemen worth remembering there were only a handful anyway.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It was always going to come down to not being able to vote for a season where the player missed 30% of the schedule. 1992-1993 was magical, but it can’t beat Orr’s peak season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lemieux 1993 is my favorite season ever, by far. I also find it the most special. The run at the end in particular is insane:

- Back from Chemo on March 2nd after a 2 month break? Ok...well he's only human, so slow start....2 points on his return game (a loss), and then 1 point total in following 2 games. Maybe he should have stayed away longer to rest up, with only 3 points in 3 games & 2 losses.....

- But wait - starting game 4 of his return, he has a 4 point night. 1 goal, 3 assists. Penguins win. March 11th. From there, this is how Lemieux and Penguins finish the rest of the year out:

- Penguins Record - 17 wins in a row (18th game, last game of season, a tie). 102 goals for, 54 goals against.

- Lemieux in the last 17 games: 29 goals, 53 points (over 84 games, that paces out to 143 goals & 262 points).

I'm not suggesting Lemieux would have hit 143 goals and 262 points in a full season - but just highlighting how insane a stretch it was after his comeback from chemo - when a normal person should have simply been home and resting for a few months to recover fully instead of playing hockey.

So yeah - it's my favorite season ever, and I think it's the most special season ever.

But - objectively, Orr's full season should rank higher than Lemieux's 3/4th season, so I did vote for that one. And I'm not trying to sell Orr short - even if Lemieux had played every game it would be close, since Orr is spectacular and so is 1971. It's really hard to rank the absolute best of Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr vs one another - at their best, they were all 3 so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad