NHL Board of Governors to approve opening of expansion process; Atlanta and Houston believed to be leading candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The very first sentence of your definition is exactly what is happening with expansion fees.
Read the next couple sentences:

"misleads investors by either falsely suggesting that profits are derived from legitimate business activities (whereas the business activities are non-existent), or by exaggerating the extent and profitability of the legitimate business activities,"

You are simply utterly wrong about what a Ponzi scheme is and how it works. Having expansion fees paid to incumbents does not a ponzi scheme make, such structures are extremely common in legitimate business. A fast food franchising model, for example. It's only a ponzi scheme when those fees are the primary or only source of revenue and the legitimate business model can't sustain the business without continual expansion. That is simply not even remotely close to the case with the NHL. You're not the one sane voice saying the emperor has no clothes, you're the guy ranting to thin air on the subway.

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The very first sentence of your definition is exactly what is happening with expansion fees. This is hilarious that you're telling me I don't know what they are when there's one right in front of your eyes.

"(A Ponzi Scheme) is a form of fraud that lures investors and pays profits to earlier investors with funds from more recent investors."

Wow, that sounds exactly like expansion fees, which are paid to earlier teams from more recent investors.

The NHL is not a Ponzi Scheme. Expansion driving franchise values through the roof ARE. A legitimate business can morph into a Ponzi Scheme, while retaining the legitimate portions. This really isn't rocket science, nor is it impossible that one blurs into the other.

I literally do not care that a bunch of people are telling me that I'm using Ponzi Scheme wrong. I know what one is, I know that this expansion is quickly turning into one because the NHL cannot get their hands out of the free money cookie jar, and I am telling you all that the Emperor has no clothes.
You should be popular on Reddit

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Is Fertitti willing to pay around around $1 billion for a team? He publicly stated he wouldn't pay $650 billion or whatever the amount bandied about for the possible relocation of the Arizona Coyotes a few years ago as he thought that the price was not justified by the revenues.

If we see expansion in the next few years, I suspect we will have play-in games as we have seen implemented in the NBA. Top 6 teams in each conference exempt with the teams 7-10 playing a few extra games to see who qualifies for the round of 16. Maybe they increase the number of games to 84 as well. Come up with an agreement with the NHLPA to split all these additional revenues 50-50. The extra revenues from attendance, tv revenue, ad revenue, concessions, and boosted attendance with more teams having a shot at the play-ins late in the season, I could see this adding several hundred million in revenue to the league's coffers.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is Fertitti willing to pay around around $1 billion for a team? He publicly stated he wouldn't pay $650 billion or whatever the amount bandied about for the possible relocation of the Arizona Coyotes a few years ago as he thought that the price was not justified by the revenues.

If we see expansion in the next few years, I suspect we will have play-in games as we have seen implemented in the NBA. Top 6 teams in each conference exempt with the teams 7-10 playing a few extra games to see who qualifies for the round of 16. Maybe they increase the number of games to 84 as well. Come up with an agreement with the NHLPA to split all these additional revenues 50-50. The extra revenues from attendance, tv revenue, ad revenue, concessions, and boosted attendance with more teams having a shot at the play-ins late in the season, I could see this adding several hundred million in revenue to the league's coffers.

Once he saw the Yotes pull in $1b he might have changed his tune. $650m ended up being a bargain.

Reactions: dj4aces

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I don't see it as a watering down of the Product...there are some good players in the AHL being held down and should be in the NHL and the KHL are getting more and more ex-NHLers who aren't wanted in North America for whatever reasons...besides more and more players could come from Sweden and Finland and Czechia,Slovakia...Love to see a 40-44 team NHL with teams in San Diego,Quebec City for the love of Gesu Cristos. And other places like Milwaukee,Portland,KC,Indianapolis,Hamilton,Oakland,Omaha,Hartford that want and need Hockey NHL style...Common on down Houston...Atlanta well they better make the Expansion as fail proof and idiotproof as possible cause another disaster in Atlanta doesn't bode well... but then again... maybe the NHL could care less about a team "bombing" out they're just after the 1.5-2.0 Billion Expansion fee

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
2. Add Seattle depending if they get team be in Pacific or Central division.
This too... honestly if the NHL is going to go past 36+ teams might as well go to markets with no pro sports teams at all so places like Boise, and Hartford makes a lot of sense to me. The NHL being the first pro sports team in Vegas was a HUGE blessing for the leauge regardless of your feelings on the Golden Knights

Reactions: dj4aces

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't see it as a watering down of the Product...there are some good players in the AHL being held down and should be in the NHL and the KHL are getting more and more ex-NHLers who aren't wanted in North America for whatever reasons...besides more and more players could come from Sweden and Finland and Czechia,Slovakia...Love to see a 40-44 team NHL with teams in San Diego,Quebec City for the love of Gesu Cristos. And other places like Milwaukee,Portland,KC,Indianapolis,Hamilton,Oakland,Omaha,Hartford that want and need Hockey NHL style...Common on down Houston...Atlanta well they better make the Expansion as fail proof and idiotproof as possible cause another disaster in Atlanta doesn't bode well... but then again... maybe the NHL could care less about a team "bombing" out they're just after the 1.5-2.0 Billion Expansion fee

It’s been said before, but the Thrashers failed because they were sold without an arena attached which prevented local buyers from even attempting a bid. Both of the new proposals have NHL Atlanta as the sole anchor tenant. The next time NHL Atlanta changes hands, the arena will be an incentive to stay rather than the opposite.

~35 years from now when that arena needs an overhaul/replacing, who knows. But they aren’t going to have a ~10 year run again.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Read the next couple sentences:

"misleads investors by either falsely suggesting that profits are derived from legitimate business activities (whereas the business activities are non-existent), or by exaggerating the extent and profitability of the legitimate business activities,"

You are simply utterly wrong about what a Ponzi scheme is and how it works. Having expansion fees paid to incumbents does not a ponzi scheme make, such structures are extremely common in legitimate business. A fast food franchising model, for example. It's only a ponzi scheme when those fees are the primary or only source of revenue and the legitimate business model can't sustain the business without continual expansion. That is simply not even remotely close to the case with the NHL. You're not the one sane voice saying the emperor has no clothes, you're the guy ranting to thin air on the subway.

Fast food franchises pay to the corporate headquarters, not to all of the other McDonalds owners in the area. They do pay some up front licensing fees, but they pay costs throughout the life of the franchise. And if McDonalds started charging $50m for each restaurant which was then divvied up between all the local franchise owners to encourage them to accept more franchises, that absolutely would be a Ponzi Scheme. The NHL isn't pocketing the money from expansion, they're cutting checks for each of the teams in the league. Ponzi Scheme 101, and while your example of franchise fast food is quite clearly wrong, it very nicely illustrates the difference between legitimate and illegitimate.

I believe the league expanded to Vegas in good faith and splitting the money between the existent teams was a valid enough measure of profit sharing. Adding the 33rd and 34th teams less than 10 years later is the Ponzi Scheme taking over.

by exaggerating the extent and profitability of the legitimate business activities,"

They're charging a billion dollars to join the club. You know how long it's going to take any of these teams to make enough profit that it's worth a billion dollars today? Long enough that it's not a good investment. There's no big TV deal on the horizon, it's going to take decades of gate revenues and $20 beers for these franchises to scrape the profit together that's worth anywhere near the billion dollars of their buy-in. A seat at the NHL table is not worth a billion dollars, the profitability is absolutely being exaggerated because those fees are driven by franchise values, which are already being driven up by expansion. It's a self-feeding cycle, expansion causes franchise values to rise, which causes expansion fees to go up, which causes franchise values to rise, etc.

The part about legitimate activities being non existent, the part that you've been hammering away at, is an OR.

There is a legitimate and profitable hockey league, but everything in their financial big picture has gone absolutely squirrely since they started factoring expansion checks into their franchise values.

You're not the one sane voice saying the emperor has no clothes, you're the guy ranting to thin air on the subway.
Cool ad hominem. I never claimed to be sane, but the more we talk, the more I'm sure that I am actually the one who knows what a Ponzi Scheme is.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The very first sentence of your definition is exactly what is happening with expansion fees. This is hilarious that you're telling me I don't know what they are when there's one right in front of your eyes.

"(A Ponzi Scheme) is a form of fraud that lures investors and pays profits to earlier investors with funds from more recent investors."

Wow, that sounds exactly like expansion fees, which are paid to earlier teams from more recent investors.

The NHL is not a Ponzi Scheme. Expansion driving franchise values through the roof ARE. A legitimate business can morph into a Ponzi Scheme, while retaining the legitimate portions. This really isn't rocket science, nor is it impossible that one blurs into the other.

I literally do not care that a bunch of people are telling me that I'm using Ponzi Scheme wrong. I know what one is, I know that this expansion is quickly turning into one because the NHL cannot get their hands out of the free money cookie jar, and I am telling you all that the Emperor has no clothes.

A Ponzi scheme is fraud because the underlying investment doesn’t exist. Unless these owners don’t have title to these franchises, it isn’t a Ponzi scheme.

If you want to argue that it’s a bad investment, fine. But a bad investment isn’t necessarily (or usually) fraud. That’s just overdramatic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad