OT: NHL All-Time Draft

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Bobby Hull. He was the 60's Ovechkin.

Career Goals Regular Season and Playoffs, NHL and WHA combined:

Gordie Howe (2421 Games) 1071 (0.44 goals/game)
Wayne Gretzky (1788 Games) 1072 (0.60 goals/game)
Bobby Hull (1653 Games) 1018 (0.62 goals/game)

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

striker3

Mar 26, 2019
I’m going with Doug Harvey here.

Bobby Hull a close second for me (I just value D higher)

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Gonna go with Roy.

No position is as important as G in an all-time draft. There's like 5 goalies that can really make a difference, and stand out from the rest. Anyone other than those top few don't make a difference. Where as forwards and defense work as a group, and can still be fantastic with depth.

The drop from Bourque or Hull to a 2nd round D or F is way smaller than the drop from Roy to a 2nd round goalie.

If we don't take a goalie now, we'll get an "average" (relative to other all-time greats) tender. But if we take Roy now we'll have a goaltending advantage over almost every team in this thing. We can still draft a great forward and D group without taking a skater now.

I pick Roy.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
As someone who's lurked HF more than posted in it, and read bunch of all-time draft threads, where is @seventieslord ? Isn't he our resident history guru?

Reactions: Lauro

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gonna go with Roy.

No position is as important as G in an all-time draft. There's like 5 goalies that can really make a difference, and stand out from the rest. Anyone other than those top few don't make a difference. Where as forwards and defense work as a group, and can still be fantastic with depth.

The drop from Bourque or Hull to a 2nd round D or F is way smaller than the drop from Roy to a 2nd round goalie.

If we don't take a goalie now, we'll get an "average" (relative to other all-time greats) tender. But if we take Roy now we'll have a goaltending advantage over almost every team in this thing. We can still draft a great forward and D group without taking a skater now.

I pick Roy.

More than 5 IMO. And looking at how the draft has gone so far, I'd say a very good goalie will still be available next round.

Reactions: al secord

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
More than 5 IMO. And looking at how the draft has gone so far, I'd say a very good goalie will still be available next round.

It's obviously subjective. I say 5 or so, maybe you'll say 7 or 8. But the point is, the list of true top goalies is limited. If the next 30 picks go by and 6 ish of them are goalies, then we're stuck.

I agree there will be very good goalies available in round 2. But not difference makers. Especially when you consider the rules state that they're drafted as 18 year olds, and follow a similar career trajectory as real life. How many goalies were difference makers for long stretches, let alone their entire career? Durnan and a bunch of others don't look so hot. The list of goalies that matter is short.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I don't really spend much time in sections other than HOH and ATD.

Which is why you're needed here! This is an extension of the all-time-draft. Hit us with some expertise, if you please.

What positions do you find most important to draft early? Who are some serious steals for this kind of thing?

I'm thinking Syl Apps and Charlie Conacher are potential steals in round 2 or 3.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Are you aloud to draft Tretiak?

Not according to rule 2 in the OP. "All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft." And the thread says "NHL All-Time". So no, I don't think Tretiak is allowed, as he never played in the NHL.

Edit: I have been corrected bu the OP. He is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Also, I'm unsure whether I'll be doing more than this round. I think one more after would be about my limit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad