GDT: NHL All-Star Game: Saturday, February 4: 3 PM | CBC, SN, TVAS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Did he really wear that awful blue jersey? What a joke, I can't even.

Probably Mol$$$on's call, I doubt those ugly ass jerseys are selling well so my guess is he saw this event as an opportunity to showcase them. I hope they disappear forever after this season.

All the players wore their team's 3rd jerseys. It was a requirement not a choice.

Reactions: GobigorGohome

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I saw Michou in center of the tv with his sun burned red face. Without glasses poeple can be confused and think they watch the japanese flag.
I couldn’t locate a pic of Michou’s lobster face from yesterday’s Spanre broadcasts where he appeared but, it appears that he did way worse to whatever shred of dignity he has left, with these doozies:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I couldn’t locate a pic of Michou’s lobster face from yesterday’s Spanre broadcasts where he appeared but, it appears that he did way worse to whatever shred of dignity he has left, with these doozies:

I've heard that live, lol. He should quote some sources before saying that. It's barelly possible, a player could injure himself, he could stretch his "laine". Well that's a bit stupid and unrealistic, a player have 10 times the occasion to skate like that in a regular game. I mean, hockey is skating fast, not just sliding.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That Skills Competition was a snooze fest.

- Players barely trying.
- Time between each competition was long.
- Interviewers trying to add some terrible humor in the interviews to try showcasing players' personalities, but the players are as bland as they get, so it makes for very cringe worthy interviews.
- The commentators trying to make it sound like what we're seeing is some of the best things we've ever seen.
- The breakaway challenge with Marner, Pastrnak, and Tkachuk was so bad. Their gimmicky attempts were ugh.

The best thing about the Skills Competition was the last event where they had the Accuracy Shooting side by side. That was actually a competition. More of those kinds of things please. Where players go up against each other.

I remember the fastest skater event were two guys starting on opposite sides of the rink and going up against each other. So you were actually racing your opponent:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
That Skills Competition was a snooze fest.

- Players barely trying.
- Time between each competition was long.
- Interviewers trying to add some terrible humor in the interviews to try showcasing players' personalities, but the players are as bland as they get, so it makes for very cringe worthy interviews.
- The commentators trying to make it sound like what we're seeing is some of the best things we've ever seen.
- The breakaway challenge with Marner, Pastrnak, and Tkachuk was so bad. Their gimmicky attempts were ugh.

The best thing about the Skills Competition was the last event where they had the Accuracy Shooting side by side. That was actually a competition. More of those kinds of things please. Where players go up against each other.

I remember the fastest skater event were two guys starting on opposite sides of the rink and going up against each other. So you were actually racing your opponent:

Everything was awful, starting with crowd. All those gimmicks too, very tough to watch.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
My exact thought when it happened. Brilliant promo.

Months of planning, the Chipotle/NHL business travels, Zoom meetings and the budgeting and forecasting. Factoring advertising revenue and promotional strategies with the potential winner. The weeks and the days leading to this weekend with logistics, setup for the event, coordinating with staff, volunteers and of course the players.

All to lead to this statement… ”We don‘t have a Chipotle in Montreal.”

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There it is, Therrien’s char-broiled mug:

79y9nm.jpg

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Only entertaining thing was the John Scott year, but then I started to dislike John Scott because he thought he was super relevant after that
sort of like PK making this year's event all about himself. You catch the cringe happy gilmore Pastarnak thig? I'm just catching highlights, its PK screaming in the mic on all these gimmicky events and just awful. They are only missing the Hanson Brothers and the Flying V to douche this thing out to the max.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I heard a reporter give her account of the event this morning. She said that if people thought that it looked awful on TV, it was way worse in attendance. It was disjointed, the crowd didn’t know when events started as they had set up gimmicks that didn’t work, Marner’s schtick didn’t impress, the recorded segments from the afternoon that took place outside were not impactful. All of that for an average ticket price of $90.

They need to rethink the concept, it clearly missed the mark on many levels.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Saw Marner at some ASG events highlights... his outfit... what a clown.

Habs should try Sarah Nurse on the wing... unline Anderson she can score on a breakaway and... it never hurts that, she is not a bad looking girl.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I heard a reporter give her account of the event this morning. She said that if people thought that it looked awful on TV, it was way worse in attendance. It was disjointed, the crowd didn’t know when events started as they had set up gimmicks that didn’t work, Marner’s schtick didn’t impress, the recorded segments from the afternoon that took place outside were not impactful. All of that for an average ticket price of $90.

They need to rethink the concept, it clearly missed the mark on many levels.
A good way to address this is to cancel this stupid game... also... maybe they can finally get rid of Bettman

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77 and Habs13

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Saw Marner at some ASG events highlights... his outfit... what a clown.

Habs should try Sarah Nurse on the wing... unline Anderson she can score on a breakaway and... it never hurts that, she is not a bad looking girl.
She scores on breakaways when the goalie treats her like a make-a-wish case...

This whole thing is garbage. The few replays I saw on twitter make me happy I didn't waste my time

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Let's see...

Positive:
-Louuuuuuuuuuu
-It kinda made the Thachuks and Marner more likeable in a way (hey that's temporary)
-McDavid on his first attempt in the shooting accuracy challenge
-Kadri beating McDavid in the semifinals while everyone was probably looking at McDavid

Meh:
-PK is really comfortable in front of a camera... but I found him annoying to watch (someone give him a PTO!)

Negative:
-I watched on Sportsnet and the cringe was terrible, that one interviewer who just looked WAY TOO HAPPY to be there... I guess it wasn't better in French with Renaud and Michou
-Now our captain is the best golfer in the NHL
-The challenges themselves weren't that bad, even some of the non-traditional ones, but the pacing, both for the fans in attendance and those watching on TV, was horrible
-Why all this pre-recorded stuff?
-Tendy Tandems... way too long and the rules didn't make sense
-As everybody said, half-assed effort from the players
-The breakaway competition... ugh... ok mini Ovy was cute, but we have already have Caufield for that... they should go back to a regular shootout maybe with minor gimmicks for fun, not this crap

I remember when I was a child (I'm 35), I loved the skills competition, more than the ASG, it was a good showcase of the talent of the NHL legends. Even the game, with no stakes, was still a fun moment to see stars playing together. I know this is a corporate event more than anything, and that I still ended up watching it, but I didn't enjoy it. I think I'd have more fun watching the final 5 minutes of an NBA game dragging on for an hour, an ARI-CBJ game or even the Spengler cup!

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I did not watch the event but watched some youtube videos this morning and it's even worse than i thought it was. What a complete gong show. I think overall Bettman did a good job at the head of the NHL but with the TV rating down, the farce that is the "All" "Star" Event and the junior arena in Arizona i think it's time for new blood at the head of the NHL. Bettman should be fired.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
She scores on breakaways when the goalie treats her like a make-a-wish case...

This whole thing is garbage. The few replays I saw on twitter make me happy I didn't waste my time
She is still better looking than Anderson... or any of the other pylons Habs have.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I did not watch the event but watched some youtube videos this morning and it's even worse than i thought it was. What a complete gong show. I think overall Bettman did a good job at the head of the NHL but with the TV rating down, the farce that is the "All" "Star" Event and the junior arena in Arizona i think it's time for new blood at the head of the NHL. Bettman should be fired.

same, watched some highlights. the Sportsnet crew trying to make this event seem like a 'blast' was really hard to watch, ... so I never lol.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I am going to the simulators... getting my game ready for the summer... after that all I will need is a set of new clubs and I am all set.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I do enjoy watching 3 on 3 hockey, but my expectations for this event are very low... I'll probably have the game as background noise (and then fully watching it and complaining about it after)

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Let's see...

Positive:
-Louuuuuuuuuuu
-It kinda made the Thachuks and Marner more likeable in a way (hey that's temporary)
-McDavid on his first attempt in the shooting accuracy challenge
-Kadri beating McDavid in the semifinals while everyone was probably looking at McDavid

Meh:
-PK is really comfortable in front of a camera... but I found him annoying to watch (someone give him a PTO!)

Negative:
-I watched on Sportsnet and the cringe was terrible, that one interviewer who just looked WAY TOO HAPPY to be there... I guess it wasn't better in French with Renaud and Michou
-Now our captain is the best golfer in the NHL
-The challenges themselves weren't that bad, even some of the non-traditional ones, but the pacing, both for the fans in attendance and those watching on TV, was horrible
-Why all this pre-recorded stuff?
-Tendy Tandems... way too long and the rules didn't make sense
-As everybody said, half-assed effort from the players
-The breakaway competition... ugh... ok mini Ovy was cute, but we have already have Caufield for that... they should go back to a regular shootout maybe with minor gimmicks for fun, not this crap

I remember when I was a child (I'm 35), I loved the skills competition, more than the ASG, it was a good showcase of the talent of the NHL legends. Even the game, with no stakes, was still a fun moment to see stars playing together. I know this is a corporate event more than anything, and that I still ended up watching it, but I didn't enjoy it. I think I'd have more fun watching the final 5 minutes of an NBA game dragging on for an hour, an ARI-CBJ game or even the Spengler cup!
I didn't look it up but I have to assume there was also a charitable angle to the event. I only wish that it would have been more visible.

For instance, Suzuki winning a year's worth of free meals at Chipotle, is a ludicrous prize for someone who has no need for it. Couldn't they have awarded a sum to a charitable cause of his choice? Same for the all the other events, these players have no use for any of these corporate prizes.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad