NHL 24 Discussion

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
The games will continue being bad until one company doesn’t have a monopoly on NHL Hockey video games. Giving EA exclusive rights to anything should be seen as essentially a death sentence, the only question is how long will everyone keep dropping $60 on what boils down to roster updates.
This is so true. When 2k announced 12ish years ago they wouldn't make a hockey game anymore what did EA do? They cut their NHL dev team in half. Unreal.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I encountered my personal worst or second worst CPU ice tilt ever last night in franchise mode. Lost game 1 in the second round of the playoffs (BUF v. BOS) 3-1 after outshooting the Bruins about 46-9. Got robbed on grade A chances galore--odd man rushes, one timers from high danger areas, tips in traffic, a breakaway, etc.

Had one play where I got behind the net and circled to the front, faked the cross ice pass, dished to a triggerman in the slot and picked the high corner on a one timer--Ullmark somehow gets a glove on it despite playing deep in the net. He also made a diving save on a mini 2 on 1 on a powerplay, and I had a tap in go awry when my player broke their stick on the shot.

Meanwhile, the goals scored against me:
-A legitimately nice back door passing sequence with good possession down low.

-I successfully pokecheck Pastrnak near the blue line. Of course, the puck doesn't actually have enough force to exit the zone, and he can stop on a dime and turn around immediately. He completes a successful blind backhand saucer pass as he's getting crushed by a forward coming back. His teammate one times it from the high slot, my defenseman partially blocks it, and my goalie, for some reason, went full spread eagle to try and save a shot that was initially going at his chest. He lets the puck trickle between his legs for the goal because goalies still usually fail to react to non-clean shots.

-Another pokecheck gone awry where I contact the puck, the CPU gets the broken arm reach back/windmill animation to retain puck possession, glides by my defender, and scores on a partial breakaway.

The only game I can remember getting close to this was one in NHL 12 where I was playing the Rangers in the playoffs, it went to triple OT, and I lost despite outshooting them something like 80-45 because Lundqvist went god mode.

• Haha
Reactions: MartyOwns

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The games will continue being bad until one company doesn’t have a monopoly on NHL Hockey video games. Giving EA exclusive rights to anything should be seen as essentially a death sentence, the only question is how long will everyone keep dropping $60 on what boils down to roster updates.

Ask them, most of them are in this thread.

My last game was 2018, not sure who the hell is still spending money on this garbage.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Been playing Be A Pro lately cause I’m bored and playoffs got the juices flowing, dominated so much (3 cups in a row and swept all the major awards again) that the game is now actively rigging games against my team by playing a 78 OVR fringe starter bum over Spencer Knight who they just signed and is an elite level 27 year old :huh:

Already playing on superstar so I guess that’s one way to make it more difficult:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: kirby11

BB79

Apr 30, 2011

My last game was 2018, not sure who the hell is still spending money on this garbage.
My last one was NHL 22. I bought it off Ebay brand new for $2 at the end of last year. I usually just update which one I have every 2-3 years. I'll buy 24 when I can find it for $2, too.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Maybe it's just me, but I think since the new update that user goalies seem to be a bit better, still not as good as CPU goalies, but I think there's an improvement.

Also noticing at least in franchise that I getting a bit more penalties throughout the game.

Anyone else besides me noticing or experiencing this ?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

2021 for me because of the Pandemic and needing something to entertain me. I won't buy another one at this point. I felt completely robbed of money with how horrible that game was.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

This has been proven to be flat out wrong for at least a decade now. EA doesn’t have an exclusive license, no other game company wants to create an NHL game.

I rent the games from the library. It’s free and I don’t have to shell out 60+ bucks to play for a month and then get bored of it.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I will continue to be out if they keep the pressure meter as a permanent fixture on the ice. Like you couldn't make that an option to turn off?

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Real life: Blackhawks are picking 2nd this year

NHL 24: Rangers lose to Blackhawks in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals

The sim engine is on crack

:laugh:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I will continue to be out if they keep the pressure meter as a permanent fixture on the ice. Like you couldn't make that an option to turn off?
I continue to think that it's a one-off feature whose main purpose is to convince players to move away from consistently attempting to score off of the rush.

There are still a lot of players who can't figure out how effective it is to learn the cycle.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I continue to think that it's a one-off feature whose main purpose is to convince players to move away from consistently attempting to score off of the rush.

There are still a lot of players who can't figure out how effective it is to learn the cycle.
They should have made it a toggle option, or even better yet, not on the ice and some meter somewhere else.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I havent played this game a lot for probably 10 years. Sometimes I try it out on Gamepass when it's available, but havent the past bunch of years.

All I know about EA games is that the cpu goes into godly untouchable mode when they are in your end where it seems half impossible to get it off them as they all pass, move and shoot with super boosts. It gets to a point to just defend waiting for a rebound instead of chasing them. But then in the neutral zone and in their zone, it seems more balanced and fair.

Is that still true about cpu god mode?

Of have they adjust the cpu now to be more fair?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I havent played this game a lot for probably 10 years. Sometimes I try it out on Gamepass when it's available, but havent the past bunch of years.

All I know about EA games is that the cpu goes into godly untouchable mode when they are in your end where it seems half impossible to get it off them as they all pass, move and shoot with super boosts. It gets to a point to just defend waiting for a rebound instead of chasing them. But then in the neutral zone and in their zone, it seems more balanced and fair.

Which game mode are you referring to?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I have to turn the ‘Adaptive’ mode OFF since the CPU somehow becomes attracted like a magnet to you once you have the puck - doesn’t matter what difficulty.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Maybe it's just me, but I think since the new update that user goalies seem to be a bit better, still not as good as CPU goalies, but I think there's an improvement.

Also noticing at least in franchise that I getting a bit more penalties throughout the game.

Well there goes that...

Took a few games, but my goalies suck again.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

I get the game because i like playing markets and love the boys' nights when we just hang out and play. I definitely have less rage quits than previous itterations. I'm a chill guy but some iterations of the game managedto get me to break controllers or just stop playing the game for a month. Goaltending is less infuriating, but i still get annoyed.

I've lost games where my goalie didnt make a single save in those iterations. I havent closed to doing that this year, but i get mad when im crushing it and some bronze players will dump the puck backhand from the blue line and hte puck will go in. No one in the way, no velocity, no deflection - just go in as if there was no one in net.

I get more penalties over things like "going or the net... take a shot!!!!!!!!!!!!" ............. and get a penalty because it turns out i got stick lifted and taking the shot turned into checking a random player. I'll say i get a lot more power plays than previous years, but htey usually happen in sequences where ill have 5 PP in a row, which kind of disrupts the flow of the game.

The sheer fact that the menus from EA NHL games from 20 years ago are superior to what they have today is truly pathetic. NHL 2005 on PC puts the menus of recent games to shame.

I remember playing HUT on NHL 14 on PS3 and getting into these fierce bidding wars over players. But the menu mechanics made the bidding fast and furious and really was a lot of fun. Then the next gen NHL games came out like NHL 15 and 16 on PS4, and the menus were completely revamped and bidding wars in the auction house were beyond painful. Probably done on purpose.

I like those bidding wars, but yeah.. unless you are backing out and going back in, you will get left out on the timer because some bids dont register. You sometimes lose players just because you didnt know someone else bid and didnt get back in time.

I also feel i spend wayyyyyy too much time offloading players when i get my "end of the week packs" on HUT. We shoudl be able to select a bunch of marginal players and post them all for the same price (ex: put all the 80s you got that week for 1000$ at once, or whatever)

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I like those bidding wars, but yeah.. unless you are backing out and going back in, you will get left out on the timer because some bids dont register. You sometimes lose players just because you didnt know someone else bid and didnt get back in time.

I also feel i spend wayyyyyy too much time offloading players when i get my "end of the week packs" on HUT. We shoudl be able to select a bunch of marginal players and post them all for the same price (ex: put all the 80s you got that week for 1000$ at once, or whatever)

Very convoluted and cumbersome. Painful even. Lost many a bidding war because I didn't jump back in on time.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I pretty much exclusively play Franchise Mode, and can confirm.

I don't recall where I read it or saw it from, but I remember seeing that each season we're supposed to adjust the goalie sliders, as the AI supposedly gets better over time and it easier to score. Seems about the same when I try to score, but my goalie get progressively worse each season.

Easily my biggest grip about EA NHL the last few years. My second being confused as to what EA Developers think Interference is...

i keep getting in situations where i take a shot and get a penalty for interference because I've lost the puck and my player does a hit instead of a shot before i realize i've lost the puck in the first place.

Weird to me because it's a situation that i should have been facing a lot more in previous iterations.

My annoyance is random penalties or inexplicable ones. Like.. how do i avoid elbowing penalties? How do i get 5 min boarding penalties when I check a guy and pinch the guy against the board at the blueline? we are facing each other. How do i get slashing penalties when we are skating the same direction and we are side by side? My stick is litterally aiming away from us, towards where we are going. How do i get tripping penalties if i dive and get the puck first before the player runs over me? Why do i have to fight when the opponent chooses but not theother way around?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Very convoluted and cumbersome. Painful even. Lost many a bidding war because I didn't jump back in on time.
I also think it's too bad that they dont make it as easy to make trades nowadays. I mean being able to add money to a card offer was helpful. This iteration also has more focus on powerup collectibles for every event card (as opposed to each having only their own collectibles), which also makes them more of a currency.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad