NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Radio out here in Vancouver are talking about the Canadian division being in one or two hub cities. They said Betman just mentioned that’s a potential, and that he’s only now “hopeful” for a mid January start. Did Betman say that?

He did, this morning, not just Canadian division.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Radio out here in Vancouver are talking about the Canadian division being in one or two hub cities. They said Betman just mentioned that’s a potential, and that he’s only now “hopeful” for a mid January start. Did Betman say that?

I'd say Ottawa with their arena in the suburbs, should be a prime candidate for the East bubble given the numbers in Toronto and Montreal... which one would it be out West? Edmonton again, or Vancouver? Regina? :naughty:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd say Ottawa with their arena in the suburbs, should be a prime candidate for the East bubble given the numbers in Toronto and Montreal... which one would it be out West? Edmonton again, or Vancouver? Regina? :naughty:
Maybe have the two bubble cities close to reduce travel, so the teams could play in both bubbles? Toronto and Ottawa, or Edmonton and Calgary?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Maybe have the two bubble cities close to reduce travel, so the teams could play in both bubbles? Toronto and Ottawa, or Edmonton and Calgary?

That's a big "HEY!" from the players' families stuck on the opposing coast, I think. Accept that daddy will be here about half the time all tired and shit, but he's gone to the other bubble the rest of the time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Working back from opening day....

15 day camp for 7 teams, 10 day camp for 24 teams.
14 day quarantine
1 day for travel

30 days from approval by my count. (And might need a few more days in there for visas. If the guy is already signed, that should have been done already. But there are guys unsigned, like Hoffman and Haula.)

Might still have "enough" time for the 24 teams.

It's December 16, and though hopeful, it sounds like it'll be nearly 12/20 before everything might get done. Which means January 19 start (not 16th).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Edmonton & Toronto it is for us Canadians....?

Well he never mentioned which cities, Toronto would be a bad choice as it is worst there of any CDN urban city, Ottawa has the best for cases per 100k. Also nothing set in stone ye it's possible in US as well, and some teams would have to play in other cities, or mini hubs.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Well he never mentioned which cities, Toronto would be a bad choice as it is worst there of any CDN urban city, Ottawa has the best for cases per 100k. Also nothing set in stone ye it's possible in US as well, and some teams would have to play in other cities, or mini hubs.

Never mentioned cities - so Friedman is speculating, not based on any quote from Bettman? Out of thin air? Genuinely asking, since Friedman used "as Bettman indicated" in the following sentence.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
That's a big "HEY!" from the players' families stuck on the opposing coast, I think. Accept that daddy will be here about half the time all tired and shit, but he's gone to the other bubble the rest of the time.

He could sleep in the bubble and then he'd be awake at home with the wife and kids. Hockey isn't that important.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Working back from opening day....

15 day camp for 7 teams, 10 day camp for 24 teams.
14 day quarantine
1 day for travel

There are no daily flights between some cities.

I just checked. There are flights every day. I have to stay home for Christmas and people are jammed inside a tin can for 4 hours spreading the virus. The world is crazy.

Last edited:

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Bubbles again? Lol this league is gonna kill itself

They are between a rock an a hard place:

1. They dont play... they are in an illegal lock-out per their previous agreement...

2. They play... but right now a bunch of States/Provinces/ Cities wont allow them to without bubbles (for exemple, like the San Francisco 49ers forced to play in Arizona!). Therefore you need to play in "Hub Cities" where they are allowed to play. It's a mess and every owner loses tons of cash... but they have no choice.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
With an illegal lock-out the benefit to the owners is they might not have to pay the players for 3 years while it drags out in court.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Would the kids and wives prefer their hockey playing dad/husband says there’s no million dollar salary this year? I’m thinking the vast majority of wives will want their husbands working, and bringing home that big paycheck.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thinking over how to handle any cases of COVID here's my swizzle at how to do it:

- Create a COVID Reserve/Exempt list for the 2020-21 season with appropriate protocols for addition and removal.
- If a player is placed on the COVID Reserve list their contract continues to count in full towards the cap.
- Teams are allowed to add a Replacement Player to their roster that does not count towards the cap. That player must be immediately returned or added to the normal roster when the COVID player is cleared to play.

- The Replacement Player must meet the following criteria:
-- Contract AAV of $1m or less (paragraph 1 salary + signing bonus)
--- Exception: if the player is on a ELC then any Performance Bonuses are counted towards the cap as normal.
--- Exception: players on non-ELC contracts cannot have Performance Bonuses. (1)
-- The Replacement Player cannot have been on the team's Active Roster or IR in the previous 7 days. (2)

Notes:
(1) This is to prevent teams from trying to stash a veteran player with a nominally larger contract then $1m into the replacement slot.
(2) This is to prevent teams from playing shell games where they bounce around their largest sub-$1m contract currently on the roster to get it into the replacement slot.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Are there any players in the AHL earning over $1 million who are intended to remain in the AHL?

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Are there any players in the AHL earning over $1 million who are intended to remain in the AHL?

Usually only a handful of bad contracts that get sent down. Baertschi, Alzner and Ladd are some recent examples.

Players signed as AHL focused vets with little chance of seeing a NHL game top out around $300k.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
They are between a rock an a hard place:

1. They dont play... they are in an illegal lock-out per their previous agreement...

2. They play... but right now a bunch of States/Provinces/ Cities wont allow them to without bubbles (for exemple, like the San Francisco 49ers forced to play in Arizona!). Therefore you need to play in "Hub Cities" where they are allowed to play. It's a mess and every owner loses tons of cash... but they have no choice.
Unique case with the 49ers. Most teams will not be allowed to have fans in an indoor arena, but they will be allowed to play. I do not believe San Jose is in the same county as Santa Clara, but could be wrong.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

1. numbers change drastically over a period of a couple weeks. picking your city based on who has the best covid numbers right now is like drafting for need and not bpa
2. a bubble is a bubble, it's not going to matter how bad the cases are outside the bubble, that is the point. if toronto hosted a bubble with 0 covid cases when there were 500 cases per day (were probably planning it with 500-1000 cases per day), there is a way to do it when there are 5000 cases a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad