NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Unique case with the 49ers. Most teams will not be allowed to have fans in an indoor arena, but they will be allowed to play. I do not believe San Jose is in the same county as Santa Clara, but could be wrong.

The Sharks and 49ers are in the same county, yes.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
With an illegal lock-out the benefit to the owners is they might not have to pay the players for 3 years while it drags out in court.

I'm pretty sure you're joking but I wouldn't be surprised if some people on this forum actually believe this would be a good thing.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Unique case with the 49ers. Most teams will not be allowed to have fans in an indoor arena, but they will be allowed to play. I do not believe San Jose is in the same county as Santa Clara, but could be wrong.

The Sharks and 49ers are in the same county, yes.

Also MLS Earthquakes. NCAA SJSU FB, etc.

Sharks studio host Brodie Brazil on his YT channel yesterday was reading small, fine print of ruling. (Thinking about whether restrictions will be extended from 12/21 deadline.) Indoor sports (hockey, basketball) are differentiated from outdoors (football, soccer), a little. But teams can't travel to play elsewhere and return. And no touching (must maintain 6 feet social distancing at all times); that's ok for tennis or golf, but not a lot of other sports.

SJSU is hunkered in Las Vegas (old UNLV stadium, playing conference championship game Saturday).
49ers are hunkered in Arizona (playing at NFL Arizona).

Brodie suggests that rules for PRO teams be tweaked as they do have the resources to properly test, etc., and may be safe enough to allow regular (physical) play.

We'll see.

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
I dont think you need bubbles. The NFL, MLB and college football/college basketball didnt. NBA isn't. There will be bumps along the way like all those other leagues have had but just start the season. The NHL is starting to overthink this and I agree with all safety but I hope they've reached out to all those other leagues to see implementation plans ect..

Ultimately up to the players and league, I'm an overall sports fan so I have plenty to watch, I would just find it embarrassing for the league if everyone else was able to resume but them.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I respect your position, but am curious as to why you feel the metric system to sucks?

I'm simply curious because there are now only 3 countries left in the world (US, Liberia, Myanmar) that primarily use the imperial system, -2 of which are considered 3rd world countries.

And the other one that does is the most powerful country to ever exist. So there is that.

Why should I bother learning a new system that a vast majority of my countrymen have no frame of reference or scale or interest (especially considering our current method works just fine)? I know precisely how far a mile is & can visualize it accordingly, but have no reference or scale on how far a kilometer is. A 75 degree sunny day is very pleasant, while a 30 degree day is extremely cold. I know the difference between a player who is 6'4 & weighs 230 pounds vs a player who is 5"9 & weighs 195 pounds & what that means for my team. So my country & society will go on keeping to our way of measurement & to hell with the metric system. And yes, I know that the metric is based on a factor of 10, but since there is no frame of reference, that point is meaningless.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Radio out here in Vancouver are talking about the Canadian division being in one or two hub cities. They said Betman just mentioned that’s a potential, and that he’s only now “hopeful” for a mid January start. Did Betman say that?

there are still some hurdles to overcome apparently. Not surprising....

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My guess is that plans for a displaced team like San Jose would work for relocation of group of 7 teams.

This also might eliminate need for division realignment.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
And the other one that does is the most powerful country to ever exist. So there is that.

Why should I bother learning a new system that a vast majority of my countrymen have no frame of reference or scale or interest (especially considering our current method works just fine)? I know precisely how far a mile is & can visualize it accordingly, but have no reference or scale on how far a kilometer is. A 75 degree sunny day is very pleasant, while a 30 degree day is extremely cold. I know the difference between a player who is 6'4 & weighs 230 pounds vs a player who is 5"9 & weighs 195 pounds & what that means for my team. So my country & society will go on keeping to our way of measurement & to hell with the metric system. And yes, I know that the metric is based on a factor of 10, but since there is no frame of reference, that point is meaningless.

Thank-you for your reply. You articulated very well why you yourself prefer imperial. But you did not answer my question, or even back-up your statement for that matter as to why "the metric system sucks"?

I'm not meaning to come off in a challenging manner, but am just genuinely curious.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If they have to move the 7 teams so they have options already lined up?

The government has a tendency to make their decision at the 11th hour like they did with the Jays, CFL (financial).. Raptors not as late...the league can't be scrambling like this and hope they're playing next month

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
It’s probably been asked but how would it affect tax revenues for all levels of Canadian governments if all nhl income was earned in the states?
Would the federal government try to advocate for provincial health to work with the nhl?

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Let say the play the whole season in the USA would this mean a lot less taxes to pay for the players with no need to pay anything in Canada, some guys on the Raptors must be saving a lot money playing in Tampa instead of Toronto

Reactions: ultra63

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It’s probably been asked but how would it affect tax revenues for all levels of Canadian governments if all nhl income was earned in the states?
Would the federal government try to advocate for provincial health to work with the nhl?

i feel like it is considered in the decision by canadian gov

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Tax revenues per person are very high among NHL players, but I imagine the total loss of NHL player tax revenue is a rounding error to the Canadian government.

Reactions: robertocarlos

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Put a bubble city in Anaheim. We have an NHL arena and two NHL practice facilities that includes six sheets of ice. Plenty of hotel rooms since our governor shut down Disneyland and now there is an abundance of hotel rooms.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Put a bubble city in Anaheim. We have an NHL arena and two NHL practice facilities that includes six sheets of ice. Plenty of hotel rooms since our governor shut down Disneyland and now there is an abundance of hotel rooms.
They could still place the Canadian teams in one city and do the Canadian division to reduce travel costs for those teams. Also reduces amount of travel needed and potential exposure to the virus.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In the Insider Training (today), linked above, they might have a single Canadian city hosting the 7 teams.

It comes down to the provincial health authorities.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
They could still place the Canadian teams in one city and do the Canadian division to reduce travel costs for those teams. Also reduces amount of travel needed and potential exposure to the virus.

Exactly, perhaps they could have a bubble in Alberta to start the season and circle back on the idea later, even if does involve a 2 week break for people to go home. American teams could still use their own rink.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I could see this sinking the season.

I just don't see players agreeing to leave their homes and families for an indefinite period of time like this.

It would also create an incredible competitive imbalance between the "stay at home" teams and the "permanent road trip" teams.

As Lady Stanley has brought up this issue does not just affect Canadian teams.

Strange times. 6 months ago all the teams were playing in Canada, now it's looking possible that there will be no teams playing in Canada.

This may be an unpopular take but they should just give them the vaccine before they start playing. Are they the most deserving? Maybe not. But they bring some comfort to the hundreds of millions of people stuck at home and frankly having people plopped on their couch watching 150 hours of TV this spring is a net benefit in terms of pandemic control

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad