Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Shame bertuzzi is injured and needs a new contract right now. He seems like the type of player a team that failed out early in the playoffs would overpay for.
Seems like a Montreal fit, we could use a drouin/serg type trade

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm a big fan of having more magic beans than less magic beans, but we also need to find someone to score goals in actual hockey games. If the worry is Vrana wants out after one year then yeah, trade him. He's a 25ish goal guy that may even hit 30 or more with all the icetime he's going to get in Detroit. We don't have anyone (right now) that is going to replace that production. But there has to be a way to work a trade that involves something more substantial coming back our way. If Vrana is a 30+ goal guy next year maybe the return is a 20+ goal guy and magic beans of varying value?

Maybe I like the 2 first round magic beans more if Detroit is able to get a halfway decent scoring winger either as FA (Hey there Taylor Hall, wanna help us get Shane Wright?) or in a trade elsewhere.
Raymond?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I sincerely doubt Raymond comes in and makes the team out of training camp next year. Not for lack of talent, but the kid really needs to get stronger.
He needs, but in one year he will be better than Vrana . He is probably stronger than Zadina already. You saw him in SHL, I know, he was top six last year there, could be third line next season with Wings, but it will depend on preseason performance, same with Bergreen and Veleno

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think some of y'all aren't prepared for the fact that regardless of how good they perform, Raymond and Berggren probably aren't getting more than 9 games lol.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think some of y'all aren't prepared for the fact that regardless of how good they perform, Raymond and Berggren probably aren't getting more than 9 games lol.
I think Yzerman won’t worry about sliding years on either of Raymond or Berggren. If they can make the team out of camp or if they need to replace someone with a long term injury and end up sticking, he’ll let them control their fate.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I hope we all going to surprise next season. In today hockey 20- 21 years old come to NHL and dominate. Just hope

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think Yzerman won’t worry about sliding years on either of Raymond or Berggren. If they can make the team out of camp or if they need to replace someone with a long term injury and end up sticking, he’ll let them control their fate.

It's not about sliding their contracts. Yzerman is notorious for loading his AHL team up and trying to send the kids on a championship run since his days in Tampa with Syracuse. There's also no point in letting kids who have little to no experience on North American ice immediately play on a shit team.

Realistically, Berggren still has aspects of his game that can be rounded out, and he's better suited doing so getting top minutes in GR. Raymond can benefit just from dominating at a lower level as the best player on the team. Frolunda isn't coached that way.

I hope we all going to surprise next season. In today hockey 20- 21 years old come to NHL and dominate. Just hope

I hope we suck and get a #1C, because they don't come in free agency and are ridiculously expensive via trade. This team ain't ready to compete for a playoff spot. As much as it sucks to not see them... Well... Suck... They're gonna be better off staying the course.

Everybody wants to win multiple Cups and nobody is willing to accept that the teams that've done it recently, or have the potential of doing it, sucked for several years leading up to it.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, and I haven’t read up on Tampa’s gameplan lately, but are they looking at leaving Cernak unprotected in the expansion draft or is it gonna be McDonagh?

IIRC, Steve was a huge fan of Cernak and was the driving force for getting him to Tampa. If the Bolts are toying with exposing Cernak, does Steve get into the mix? Does it matter that we’d be so deep at RD then?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
It's not about sliding their contracts. Yzerman is notorious for loading his AHL team up and trying to send the kids on a championship run since his days in Tampa with Syracuse. There's also no point in letting kids who have little to no experience on North American ice immediately play on a shit team.

Realistically, Berggren still has aspects of his game that can be rounded out, and he's better suited doing so getting top minutes in GR. Raymond can benefit just from dominating at a lower level as the best player on the team. Frolunda isn't coached that way.

I hope we suck and get a #1C, because they don't come in free agency and are ridiculously expensive via trade. This team ain't ready to compete for a playoff spot. As much as it sucks to not see them... Well... Suck... They're gonna be better off staying the course.

Everybody wants to win multiple Cups and nobody is willing to accept that the teams that've done it recently, or have the potential of doing it, sucked for several years leading up to it.
Oh...I agree they both need some work. But that's why I was saying that if they do make an impact right away or when given an opportunity, I think he will let them decide their own fate. I don't think we have enough prospects to stack Grand Rapids in the same way that Syracuse was able to. Seider/Ras/Veleno will all be in Detroit out of camp barring some weird happenstance. And I think that Yzerman is amenable to letting the kids play, next season, in the NHL so long as it apparent that they can handle the NHL game. It will be interesting to see what happens in the rookie camps and main camps, in September, as to just how many of the prospects will push for jobs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He needs, but in one year he will be better than Vrana . He is probably stronger than Zadina already. You saw him in SHL, I know, he was top six last year there, could be third line next season with Wings, but it will depend on preseason performance, same with Bergreen and Veleno

Stronger than Zadina? Eh...

Zadina isn't Hercules on skates, but he is definitely bigger and stronger than Raymond was. Raymond is faster and more elusive as a skater but there were a couple of times at the WJC where he mistimed things (maybe due to the smaller ice) and found himself getting hit and was very slow to get up.

Maybe I'm wrong? I think we just have to wait and see until training camp and preseason before we can make a better judgement of where Raymond is physically. He's at an age where he's still growing and can theoretically gain muscle really fast.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I don't think Raymond was playing in the Top 6 with Frolunda... from what I've seen they keep the young guys on a short leash and he averaged 14:19 TOI/GP (source).

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think Raymond was playing in the Top 6 with Frolunda... from what I've seen they keep the young guys on a short leash and he averaged 14:19 TOI/GP (source).
He was playing with Mursak, second line center. Niederbach and Soderblom didn't have much playing time

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
IT was the typical 3rd line ES minutes and 1st PP duty = looks like ~2nd line minutes.

One important thing is that Frölunda was one of the top team at starting part of the season with healthy Lucas Raymond. He was the power-play driver makes others look much better.

Since Raymond's injury at WJC (neck, board bounce) and after those elbow problems, he cooled down (obviously that nagging injury affected), and Frölunda regressed badly as a team and was much worse without him at later part of the season.

So he is a impact player. Without him at 100% condition, or not playing at all, Frölunda was very poor or average team.

Reactions: lilidk

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021

This^ is what I am very afraid of this season and Steve's comments about not penciling any of the young guys in, makes me very nervous that the best hockey ticket in the State might be Grand Rapids.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Berggren is 100% sure AHL material. Could get his 9 games or not, but that's a non-factor. His time will come later.

Not so sure about Raymond going to AHL. Maybe a short stint.

Could think he will steal NHL spot and will become regular on his first season. He knows how to play defence and still be skill play-driver, and doesn't need any lower-seasoning for it. He will play out from the A.

Reactions: golffuul

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Berggren is 100% sure AHL material. Could get his 9 games or not, but that's a non-factor. His time will come later.

Could think he will steal NHL spot and will become regular on his first season. He knows how to play defence and still be skill play-driver, and doesn't need any lower-seasoning for it. He will play out from the A.

I didn't catch many games but Frolunda is a pretty defensively-oriented team, right? Could bode well for Raymond's chances to get on Blashill's good side having played in that system.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

Don't be so quick to count Berggren out. He has more pure skill than anyone on this team besides Jakub Vrana. I'm willing to bet he makes the roster within the first 10 games of the season and plays on the 3rd line at least.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't be so quick to count Berggren out. He has more pure skill than anyone on this team besides Jakub Vrana. I'm willing to bet he makes the roster within the first 10 games of the season and plays on the 3rd line at least.

That's kind of a player type we don't need at this point. Yzerman has to suffle the roster more.

Later yeah.

Reactions: golffuul

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
That's kind of a player type we don't need at this point. Yzerman has to suffle the roster more.

Later yeah.

Scoring, playmaking winger with great wheels? Dude we've needed like 2 of these guys every year since 2009. We are starved for offense.

I get not wanting the team to do well next season to get Shane Wright, but we shouldn't suppress our most talented prospects when they're on the verge of breaking through. It will reach a point where us saying, "Shouldn't play the kids! We might do too well!" is going to harm the kids.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will assume Berggren will spend the year in the AHL, when you can point me to 9 forwards clearly better on the Wings. (I don't think we have that, personally.)

Reactions: lilidk

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, I'm hoping we don't go for major splashes and try to put together a solid team.

Keep things relatively the same on the Det roster and load up GR with new kids (Mo, Raymond, Berggren). Get their confidence going while at the same time giving Det a good opportunity for another high pick (in a very strong draft).

THEN, I say start really going for it in 2022-2023.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
With Bergreen and Tyutyaev coming to GR, Hirose already there, they are similar players. Raymond is more complete then those 3, but still similar . Red Wings in need of those kind of players, yet they all going to be in GR. Something has to be done, could be trade, but most likely some of them going to go to Detroit. I believe Tyutyaev level is AHL, but other , should they be rotated , until we see who is who. As much as I like Eklund, I don't think we should get him if he's available,just another playmaking winger.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Scoring, playmaking winger with great wheels? Dude we've needed like 2 of these guys every year since 2009. We are starved for offense.

I could see Fabbri traded for another solution on another position and then Berggren is promoted in. Maybe at next trade deadline, some another Mantha-miracle.

That's how hockey teams are built. You have a surplus of wingers, trade one for another position, and bring your own kid in. Only add, won't lose anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad