Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I popped into the Edmonton board’s “Fire Ken Holland” thread and saw this:

Kassian - 3 years at $3.2m per
Neal - 2 years at $5.75m per
Koskinen - 1 year at $4.5m

I wonder if Yzerman will take on one of these contracts over the summer.

I don't think they come up for trade. Buy out Neal, ride out Koskinen, and see if Kassian can rebound to the form he had the year before. This was a freak season in so many respects that I think you need to take some of the seasons we saw players have with a grain of salt.

edit: The more I look at Edmonton, the more I think I'd let RNH walk and use that money to go after an assortment of guys to build better depth with - starting with chasing Coleman and Goodrow from Tampa.

Last edited:

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I'm okay with extending Fabbri for another 2-3 years, but I think that trading him is the better play. He should be very attractive for a team like Edmonton, Vancouver or Pittsburgh who needs scoring depth at a cheap cap hit and would also like to move out some dead cap hits.

We have Vrana, Bertuzzi, Zadina, Raymond and Berggren in the system as established or high potential wingers. Sign a guy like Schwartz to play wing and make it easier on Rasmussen and Veleno as they transition to the NHL at C and move Fabbri to collect more assets.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I don't think they come up for trade. Buy out Neal, ride out Koskinen, and see if Kassian can rebound to the form he had the year before. This was a freak season in so many respects that I think you need to take some of the seasons we saw players have with a grain of salt.

edit: The more I look at Edmonton, the more I think I'd let RNH walk and use that money to go after an assortment of guys to build better depth with - starting with chasing Coleman and Goodrow from Tampa.

But what does Ken Holland do?

Raise and long term deal, crippling team flexibility followed with, “we like our team.” Comments. :sarcasm:

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
If Larkin and Werenski are best friends, how can SY not have a pretty good idea wtf Werenski is thinking about what he might do when he hits UFA status. It's not tampering for two players to talk about playing together. I don't think it'd be tampering for DL to drop hints to SY.

Reactions: David D and Henkka

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But what does Ken Holland do?

Raise and long term deal, crippling team flexibility followed with, “we like our team.” Comments. :sarcasm:

Meh. I think the narrative around Holland has bordered on ridiculous but it's not worth going over again. He's in the HoF and is trying to reconstruct the mess that was the Oil into a cup contender.

If Larkin and Werenski are best friends, how can SY not have a pretty good idea wtf Werenski is thinking about what he might do when he hits UFA status. It's not tampering for two players to talk about playing together. I don't think it'd be tampering for DL to drop hints to SY.

I'm not sure many of these guys can really know what they're going to do when/if they hit free agency. it's easy to have preferences but when those preferences meet the reality of contract offers and places to live for the next 5+ years I'm betting things can change in a hurry.

If we really want Werenski we deal for him beforehand and give him a fair deal he might sign early because he prefers to play here and he doesn't have anyone else whispering in his ear yet. Waiting for it to fall in our lap is about the same as depending on the draft lotto to gift us a top selection when we most want/need it.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I feel great about the mojo of our team moving forward. I won't be too surprised to see us win at least 1 of the next 3 lotteries. (Power/Wright/Bedard/Michkov) + some UFA luck (ZW homecoming) + guys like Zadina, Veleno, AlJo, Berggren play at/above their slot or at least draft position.

Fedorov, commented ~1-2 weeks ago that there's something special happening in Detroit, he could feel it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I feel great about the mojo of our team moving forward. I won't be too surprised to see us win at least 1 of the next 3 lotteries. (Power/Wright/Bedard/Michkov) + some UFA luck (ZW homecoming) + guys like Zadina, Veleno, AlJo, Berggren play at/above their slot or at least draft position.

Fedorov, commented ~1-2 weeks ago that there's something special happening in Detroit, he could feel it.

I don't see us winning any lottery after 2021.

Think our TANK times are over and we are on a playoff push at next season. They were .500 team for the last part of the season.

So much of dead weight gone from the roster and new guys coming in.

Team started to play very well, when the dead weight was gone and Vrana is superior vs. Mantha. Seider will bee added to make the biggest change in transition levels, and Raymond could control the PP. Lots of good pieces coming.

Reactions: golffuul

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Think our TANK times are over and we are on a playoff push at next season. They were .500 team for the last part of the season.

Team started to play very well, when the dead weight was gone and Vrana is superior vs. Mantha. Seider will bee added to make the biggest change in transition levels, and Raymond could control the PP. Lots of good pieces coming.

We were competitive near the end, but the goalies also stole several points. Can't expect either of them to continue performing that way. Also helped that Buffalo had an absolutely historic losing streak.

Big difference next year is there were a lot of mediocre to downright shit teams in our division this year, that we feasted on playing 8 times. Don't have that luxury next year. Florida/Tampa/Boston/Toronto are all playoff caliber. Montreal should be decent, and Ottawa will be improved. Buffalo is a wild card depending on what they do this offseason.

I think we'll still be in it for Wright. I think by the Bedard lottery we'll have added too much talent, though.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

As in 21-22?
No chance.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

We definitely only did as well as we did this year because our goaltending was so superb. I certainly don’t think we’ll do any better next season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If we really want Werenski we deal for him beforehand and give him a fair deal he might sign early because he prefers to play here and he doesn't have anyone else whispering in his ear yet. Waiting for it to fall in our lap is about the same as depending on the draft lotto to gift us a top selection when we most want/need it.

Best example of this was the Rangers trading for Adam Fox.

Even though it was well documented that Fox had his heart set on the Rangers, they still moved to secure him beyond any doubt with a 2nd rounder and a conditional 3rd.

Werenski has another year on his deal and then he's an RFA. Depending how things look for Columbus next year and how contract negotiations go, maybe they move sooner to deal him for the best possible return. If negotiations go south with Columbus, that hurts their potential return.

If Columbus is going into a mini rebuild again, I wouldn't be stunned if they start taking offers before the deadline this coming season.

And if you need more convincing, here's the GM of Columbus stating rather clearly that if Werenski demands a 1 year RFA deal, they will look to move him. They were burned getting nothing back for Panarin and Bob, so they can't let that happen again.

“Well, we’re not doing that,” Kekalainen said.

Blue Jackets GM Kekalainen talks Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, offseason

Do you also plan to push for a long-term extension with Zach this summer?

JK: “Yes, of course. That’s why we traded Josh Anderson, because he didn’t want to do anything more than one year, where he could just walk at the end of the year. That’s insane. If you’re going to take it to a UFA (situation), you want at least a couple more years, if not more. But to do a one-year (extension) and make him a UFA at the end of it doesn’t make any sense, because it doesn’t add to the trade value and it doesn’t add to anything.”

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We definitely only did as well as we did this year because our goaltending was so superb. I certainly don’t think we’ll do any better next season.

Of course we do better. Our goaltending has some room to regress and we still are better. Chance for Wright will be minimal and chances for Bedard even less year after.

This team is going up.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Of course we do better. Our goaltending has some room to regress and we still are better. Chance for Wright will be minimal and chances for Bedard even less year after.

This team is going up.

The team had a historically bad Power Play and the team's leading point getter was a defenseman who compiled secondary assists...and still only had 26 points.

Presuming Bernier and Greiss regress, which is fairly likely, the team is probably still not going to score much...especially with Blashill at the helm. And we won't have the luxury of only playing in the Central division for 56 games.

Frankly, we have as good of odds of drafting Wright or Bedard the following year as anyone in this league.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Best example of this was the Rangers trading for Adam Fox.

Even though it was well documented that Fox had his heart set on the Rangers, they still moved to secure him beyond any doubt with a 2nd rounder and a conditional 3rd.

Werenski has another year on his deal and then he's an RFA. Depending how things look for Columbus next year and how contract negotiations go, maybe they move sooner to deal him for the best possible return. If negotiations go south with Columbus, that hurts their potential return.

If Columbus is going into a mini rebuild again, I wouldn't be stunned if they start taking offers before the deadline this coming season.

And if you need more convincing, here's the GM of Columbus stating rather clearly that if Werenski demands a 1 year RFA deal, they will look to move him. They were burned getting nothing back for Panarin and Bob, so they can't let that happen again.

“Well, we’re not doing that,” Kekalainen said.

Blue Jackets GM Kekalainen talks Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, offseason

Do you also plan to push for a long-term extension with Zach this summer?

JK: “Yes, of course. That’s why we traded Josh Anderson, because he didn’t want to do anything more than one year, where he could just walk at the end of the year. That’s insane. If you’re going to take it to a UFA (situation), you want at least a couple more years, if not more. But to do a one-year (extension) and make him a UFA at the end of it doesn’t make any sense, because it doesn’t add to the trade value and it doesn’t add to anything.”
ive been thinking what if vrana wants to test market what could we get for him now ? vrana + oils 2nd (53rd) to minnesota for both their late 1st which are currently something like 26 and 29 ... ?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Vrana is RFA and our most talented player. Why do we do this?
let me think , let me think = why oh why do we do this ???????????????? oh now i recall what i just typed in the POST YOU QUOTED 'what if vrana wants to test the market ?' . as in a rfa only has to sign for one year then can become ufa . thusly if he wont agree to a longer contract we trade him now to avoid losing for nothing just like cbj gm was talking about happened to josh anderson in the post i quoted

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
let me think , let me think = why oh why do we do this ???????????????? oh now i recall what i just typed in the POST YOU QUOTED 'what if vrana wants to test the market ?' . as in a rfa only has to sign for one year then can become ufa . thusly if he wont agree to a longer contract we trade him now to avoid losing for nothing just like cbj gm was talking about happened to josh anderson in the post i quoted

I get why YOU would do this, but why would the Detroit Red Wings do this?

Even if Vrana wants to sign a short term deal, trading him for LATE futures is probably not the best option. I think the smart play would be to let him inflate his value. A contract year performance bump, and then look to trade at the midway point or at the trade deadline for a 1st AND a player. We need actual roster players as much as we need more first round picks.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I get why YOU would do this, but why would the Detroit Red Wings do this?

Even if Vrana wants to sign a short term deal, trading him for LATE futures is probably not the best option. I think the smart play would be to let him inflate his value. A contract year performance bump, and then look to trade at the midway point or at the trade deadline for a 1st AND a player. We need actual roster players as much as we need more first round picks.

If Vrana is dead set on a 1 year deal and you can get a pair of 1st round picks for him, even late in the 1st, you have to at least entertain that.

You likely don't get anymore for a deadline rental going into UFA status unless he's absolutely slaying out there all year. And you end up with less if he's slumping.

We're not at that point with Vrana right now, so it's a premature discussion and hinges on a lot of variables none of us know, but I think @decaguard made a reasonable suggestion given the GM comments about Josh Anderson.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
If Vrana is dead set on a 1 year deal and you can get a pair of 1st round picks for him, even late in the 1st, you have to at least entertain that.

You likely don't get anymore for a deadline rental going into UFA status unless he's absolutely slaying out there all year. And you end up with less if he's slumping.

We're not at that point with Vrana right now, so it's a premature discussion and hinges on a lot of variables none of us know, but I think @decaguard made a reasonable suggestion given the GM comments about Josh Anderson.

I'm a big fan of having more magic beans than less magic beans, but we also need to find someone to score goals in actual hockey games. If the worry is Vrana wants out after one year then yeah, trade him. He's a 25ish goal guy that may even hit 30 or more with all the icetime he's going to get in Detroit. We don't have anyone (right now) that is going to replace that production. But there has to be a way to work a trade that involves something more substantial coming back our way. If Vrana is a 30+ goal guy next year maybe the return is a 20+ goal guy and magic beans of varying value?

Maybe I like the 2 first round magic beans more if Detroit is able to get a halfway decent scoring winger either as FA (Hey there Taylor Hall, wanna help us get Shane Wright?) or in a trade elsewhere.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

A pair of 1sts for Vrana on a one year deal is fantasy.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Shame bertuzzi is injured and needs a new contract right now. He seems like the type of player a team that failed out early in the playoffs would overpay for.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I mean hypotheticals are just that, hypotheticals. All sources point towards 2-5 year deals :

Vrana, on the other hand, may earn himself a deal that mirrors Anthony Mantha‘s contract. With his production in mind, Yzerman will likely offer him a four-year contract. It’s team-friendly, rewards Vrana for his production, and keeps him for the long term. (SOURCE)

The two sides will undoubtedly come to an agreement. In terms of term, the deal will most-likely fall somewhere in the two-to-four year range, buying up anywhere from one to three years of Vrana’s UFA eligibility. (SOURCE)

I’ll say the two sides land more in the four- or five-year range here, between $5 million and $6 million annually (SOURCE)

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad