Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
The difference was that McTavish’s was an accident. He served time. Boman knowingly hid the truth and allowed him to be hired by a school where he continued his abuse.

You’d be wrong. Reddit, HF, Twitter make a good sample size of the population
An accident? He was drunk driving. That’s like shooting a loaded gun into a crowd and being like it’s an accident I killed some one.

Nothing at all - for the right person at the right time.

Whether people like it or not, this decision is a risk/reward proposition. The risk being the negative press, the PR war, the perception of fans, perception of players, etc. The reward being the quality of executive we get in the exchange. Generously, Bowman is a mediocre General Manager.

The Oilers currently are in what is basically an unprecedented state of goodwill. Free agents are staying and coming here for discounts, fans are basically universally supportive of the current management and coaching group, fans are happy with results, the team is the focus of the city in a good way, outside fans and media are singing the organization and the city's praises, the team is a Stanley Cup favourite, etc, etc. You would basically have to fight to find something to say negatively about the team, and even then it wouldn't be a major issue.

I can't for one second understand the thought process behind risking the rare scenario of universal goodwill towards the team from every angle to hire the GM with extremely divisive baggage that also happens to be mediocre. You put a target on the franchise from sports and non-sports media, give fair whether fans a reason to jump back off the bandwagon, create more of the stupid "I'm done!" rants on twitter, and possibly even cause players to not want to play here anymore for...... Stan Bowman? It's so stupid and so illogical that I still can't believe for a second that someone as smart and well rounded as Jeff Jackson would consider it, but it doesn't seem to be going away so there must be something there.
Totally agree with your assessment of his GM talent. That’s a reason not to hire him alone. He is not worth the baggage he comes with.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The difference was that McTavish’s was an accident. He served time. Boman knowingly hid the truth and allowed him to be hired by a school where he continued his abuse.

Im really fed up with the molly coddling if Mact.

This isn't a guy who accidentally hit some drunk guy that ran in front of his car with a split second decision.

This is a guy who got drunk chose to drive and killed someone. A crime. A selfish crime. Let's not act like "he made an unfortunate accident" and he's the victim in anyway.

Mact is 100% responsible for that.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Not that im defending Bowman but that's not what the investigation found. Bowman was essentially guilty of neglect but didn't knowing cover it up or write any letters of recommendation. Unless you have another source?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No lol it really does not
i'm not sure you know what statisical analysis is

Im really fed up with the molly coddling if Mact.

This isn't a guy who accidentally hit some drunk guy that ran in front of his car with a split second decision.

This is a guy who got drunk chose to drive and killed someone. A crime. A selfish crime. Let's not act like "he made an unfortunate accident" and he's the victim in anyway.

Mact is 100% responsible for that.
Oh, I agree about MacT- but there was no cover up and it was a different time

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It would be hard to argue that any of these guys other than Frolik, Saad and maybe Oduya had much of an impact on their cup wins. But all three were really just secondary players and other perhaps more import and depth guys were gone. The core of the Hawks was the same through all 3 cups and under Bowman that team pretty much deteriorated. Not that this was unexpected. But frankly I don't think he deserves a lot of credit for building those winners. For me he was pretty mediocre at best.

Thought this as well looking at his trade history. Seems Bowman was just a lucky SOB with Tallon messing up the qualifying offers right before Tallon was going to enjoy the fruits of his labour. Bowman ends up being able to swoop in and enjoy the glory instead.

This kind of "right place at the right time" brand of success is unfortunately something the Oilers org have believed for decades that is a predictor of future success. Hopefully we are smarter than that now. This is aside from the other personal baggage Bowman carries. Think this would be a weak hire no matter how you slice it.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

Here it comes…
I'd be worried if Staples had any kind of knowledge regarding the Oilers organization. His criteria for writing articles seems to be:

(i) Controversial topic;
(ii) Something he is personally wildly unqualified to write about, and has done little to no research about; and
(iii) Something he can somehow inject a shitty political opinion into despite the fact that the article shouldn't have anything to do with politics.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I'd be worried if Staples had any kind of knowledge regarding the Oilers organization. His criteria for writing articles seems to be:

(i) Controversial topic;
(ii) Something he is personally wildly unqualified to write about, and has done little to no research about; and
(iii) Something he can somehow inject a shitty political opinion into despite the fact that the article shouldn't have anything to do with politics.
100% agreed in principle, but…

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Not that im defending Bowman but that's not what the investigation found. Bowman was essentially guilty of neglect but didn't knowing cover it up or write any letters of recommendation. Unless you have another source?
Sorry, it was alleged a written recommendation was given but no evidence supported it. I think "neglect" is such a cop out- that's the reason we have Sarbanes-Oxley now- Enron executives pleaded "neglect". Anyways- this article cleared up the letter part.

Even if we ignored the Chicago stuff- he is just a bad GM. This team can't get out of it's own way when it comes to GMs

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am admittedly a little late to the party, and I should be better informed, but I honeslty dont know what Bowman did.
I guess I could read through the 18 pages in this thread but can someone give the coles notes version on what his crime was?

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
I am admittedly a little late to the party, and I should be better informed, but I honeslty dont know what Bowman did.
I guess I could read through the 18 pages in this thread but can someone give the coles notes version on what his crime was?

He was involved in that whole Blawhawks sexual assault cover-up and was suspended along with others by the NHL.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1 and guymez

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I won’t get worried until I start hearing Stauffer randomly talking up Bowman

I thought JJ wanted someone who could draft well? That could be Bottrill or Darche but not Bowman

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Here it comes…
It's actually good that Staples wrote that up, article has all the details from the investigation into the incident, including the Blackhawks management's paralyzation in dealing with the issue and the eventual corporate style coverup(aka - hoping it goes away). If the report is to be believed, it's pretty obvious no one knew how to deal with it and that McDonough(then president) said he would deal with the problem personally(which he didn't). I can imagine most of the rest of upper management were more than happy to pass off the issue onto him given the uncomfortable nature of the incident, most people don't want to deal with that kind of shit.

Not too concerned about his hiring from a ethical standpoint with a refresher on what exactly happened. It'll be a major media shit-storm if he gets hired though, overwhelming majority of people will just go with the emotional hot-takes and pile on, especially considering how many out there already dislike the Oilers overall.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Sorry, it was alleged a written recommendation was given but no evidence supported it. I think "neglect" is such a cop out- that's the reason we have Sarbanes-Oxley now- Enron executives pleaded "neglect". Anyways- this article cleared up the letter part.

Even if we ignored the Chicago stuff- he is just a bad GM. This team can't get out of it's own way when it comes to GMs

The very last paragraph references the Jenner and Block investigation which has since concluded (it's what Staples had in the article I linked). They said that their was no proof that the blackhawks provided a positive reference or documentation to other potential employers recommending him. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Bowman covered anything up.

It's important to note that their findings were that Bowman was only told that an incident occurred between Beach and a video coach and didn't know prevalent details. All he was told is that it was "underneath the sheets". His boss also told him to focus on the playoffs and that his boss would take care of it.

Obviously Bowman was in a senior leadership position. He should have followed up and done the right thing. He seems to have learned his lesson and understands how serious a mistake it was to assume that it was handled.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of hiring Bowman because I don't think he's a very good GM. I've just always been a big believer in second chances and by all accounts it sounds like Bowman was guilty of neglect. If fans cant forgive him for that, I respect that. However, I get the feeling like their are a lot of fans who don't know the specifics and want no part of Bowman because of rumors and hearsay. I think fans should read the article and form their own opinions based on tbe actual facts of an extensive and thorough investigation.

Reactions: ClydeLee and guymez

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
If we do go with Bowman I wonder how much it will impact us signing and keeping guys?

I think it will have a certain impact.

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
Why has 2 Mutts suddenly turned into a "source" that keeps getting cited? Up until a few weeks ago, I had only ever seen them pop up on my youtube feed occasionally. I tuned in once and didn't enjoy it, so I never went back to it. Now, they suddenly keep showing up on here and on reddit.

They word their tweets as if they are a trusted source with clear insider knowledge. As far as I can tell, they don't have any sources and they portray their speculation as fact.

I don't buy that JJ would go for the PR disaster.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Why has 2 Mutts suddenly turned into a "source" that keeps getting cited? Up until a few weeks ago, I had only ever seen them pop up on my youtube feed occasionally. I tuned in once and didn't enjoy it, so I never went back to it. Now, they suddenly keep showing up on here and on reddit.

They word their tweets as if they are a trusted source with clear insider knowledge. As far as I can tell, they don't have any sources and they portray their speculation as fact.

I don't buy that JJ would go for the PR disaster.

Well apparently Jackson just turned his twitter account private,

ha, more drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad