Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I was initially very nervous about the hiring of Jackson...Knoblauch helped to assuage those fears but now I can't help but wonder again if he even knows what he's doing. I thought they would have a clear succession plan in place.

It's very easy to promise "best in class", pretty sure every executive in the league says that. I really hope Jackson knows what he's doing but he hasn't done enough yet to prove that we can trust him. It goes without saying that this next GM hire is the most important decision in the McDavid era. Vegas and Florida got their GM hires right and have cups to show for it. Please for the love of god JJ prove you know what you're doing and get this right....
They did have a clear successor in place. His name was Steve Staois. He didn’t want to wait a year and was good friends with the Sens new owner so he bailed. Sounds like they have some candidates in place but can’t discuss anything until July 1

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
They did have a clear successor in place. His name was Steve Staois. He didn’t want to wait a year and was good friends with the Sens new owner so he bailed. Sounds like they have some candidates in place but can’t discuss anything until July 1
I just don’t buy this unless you heard something i haven’t. Jeff just sat down in his chair before Staios left to Ottawa. I don’t imagine he made up his mind on the next GM two months into the job. I don’t think Staios left for Ottawa because he had to wait a year, I believe he left because he was offered the job in Ottawa and wasn’t guaranteed the job here. (Also ties to the owner)

You are right about July 1st. I’m sure he has been doing his homework and will iron it out soon.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Personally, I'm thinking Laurence Gilman is the guy. Impressive resume, lots of experience, Leafs connection with Jeff Jackson, but he's never had a shot at a top job. He's revered in Vancouver for his scouting and was thought of very highly in Toronto (until he pushed Dubas hard to get Nick Foligno, reportedly). That said, everyone has stumbles.

And, Gilman left the Leafs about two weeks ago. Everything kind of lines up.

Reactions: McAsuno

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Personally, I'm thinking Laurence Gilman is the guy. Impressive resume, lots of experience, Leafs connection with Jeff Jackson, but he's never had a shot at a top job. He's revered in Vancouver for his scouting and was thought of very highly in Toronto (until he pushed Dubas hard to get Nick Foligno, reportedly). That said, everyone has stumbles.

And, Gilman left the Leafs about two weeks ago. Everything kind of lines up.
That’s who I was thinking as well. I also think Jackson is building a management team with many voices- with one (the GM) whose vision will lead the team. I.E- if members of the team can go make a deal on an agreed player with agreed assets- the GM will empower them to do so

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I just don’t buy this unless you heard something i haven’t. Jeff just sat down in his chair before Staios left to Ottawa. I don’t imagine he made up his mind on the next GM two months into the job. I don’t think Staios left for Ottawa because he had to wait a year, I believe he left because he was offered the job in Ottawa and wasn’t guaranteed the job here. (Also ties to the owner)

You are right about July 1st. I’m sure he has been doing his homework and will iron it out soon.
It was Holland that was grooming Staios from my understanding. The plan was that Ken would step aside at the end of the year and Steve would take his place. It had been in the works since Steve joined the team. The Jackson hire may have affected that I agree. But the original plan was I belive Steve Staois and Brad Holland would take the reins once Ken stepped away.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This might not be a popular opinion here but I hope Brad Holland sticks around. He was a huge proponent of the Hyman signing and apparently pushed his dad to make the Ekholm trade, telling him that now is the time to make a big move. I think he’s an asset to the management group.
I think Jackson, Gilman, Keith Gretzky, Brad Holland, Michael Parkatti and Kalle Larsson is a pretty solid braintrust. Good mix of youth and experience, good mix of analytics and old school.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I was initially very nervous about the hiring of Jackson...Knoblauch helped to assuage those fears but now I can't help but wonder again if he even knows what he's doing. I thought they would have a clear succession plan in place.

It's very easy to promise "best in class", pretty sure every executive in the league says that. I really hope Jackson knows what he's doing but he hasn't done enough yet to prove that we can trust him. It goes without saying that this next GM hire is the most important decision in the McDavid era. Vegas and Florida got their GM hires right and have cups to show for it. Please for the love of god JJ prove you know what you're doing and get this right....

Its hard to know honestly.

I still don’t like the Pracey hire. But this is his first draft and he doesn’t have many picks. So we won’t be able to evaluate him unless he has more picks.

He knocked the KK hire out of the park. I think PC deserves a lot of credit too but I don’t think JJ had that much say.

The GM hire will be interesting.

Reactions: barry halls

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It was Holland that was grooming Staios from my understanding. The plan was that Ken would step aside at the end of the year and Steve would take his place. It had been in the works since Steve joined the team. The Jackson hire may have affected that I agree. But the original plan was I belive Steve Staois and Brad Holland would take the reins once Ken stepped away.
Ahh that makes sense.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

Hunter ain't young, Jimbo.

It's Matheson, he thinks anyone under 65 is young

1719596273174.png

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Exactly. Heard Ottawa wants a LD and that’s why Chychrun is not a fit too.

Imagine if we could pull off like Nurse+2nd for Chychrun. Now we have a bomb shot for the line 2 to work with. Less brain farts from our D. And 5M cap to spend elsewhere.
That'd be the move of the decade and at least make me feel a little better.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'm honestly a bit surprised there has been no talk of Paul Coffey as GM.

His role in the organization is so strange...

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Exactly. Heard Ottawa wants a LD and that’s why Chychrun is not a fit too.

Imagine if we could pull off like Nurse+2nd for Chychrun. Now we have a bomb shot for the line 2 to work with. Less brain farts from our D. And 5M cap to spend elsewhere.
Chychrun is a left shooting LD, but Chabot and Sanderson also are LDs and aren't giving up their spots for him. Ottawa's coach staff apparently were never comfortable with Chychrun playing on his offside despite the claims that he was capable of doing so, hence they are trying to trade him again.

So I don't think Ottawa is going to make a trade of players that causes the exact same problem with a significantly more expensive cap hit.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Strange the team didn't have a successor groomed, or replacement lined up.
It wasn't coming at a surprise that Holland's contract was expiring. Succession planning should be part of any well run organization.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on that critique, but usually you'd combine announcements (even to say announce acting GM) . Especially at this critical point in time.
Kev always ready to gm the Oilers into a decade of darkness!

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Looking at the list of Oilers' GMs, Tambellini was in charge for five (!) years. Unbelievable. With hindsight, how could they tolerate that forgetable loser that long?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad