Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Wouldn't be surprised if Jackson builds a management team structure inclusive of a senior advisor type which would make sense with Holland. It sounds like Jackson and Holland worked well together through this transition and that there is longstanding respect going back to GM and Player Agent interactions.

Saravalli spitballed some loose idea of Stan Bowman consideration but wet blanked it with reality that Bowman has not been approved to return to the league.

This is the most critical point in the franchise's history (similar to getting the organization back on the rails post-Chiarelli recovery), so I feel without question it will be an outsider with strong agency or hockey management experience, who is then surrounded by deep and varied benchstrength. Long shot guys or younger types might be like a Brian Lawton or Mike Gillis.
I was thinking Mike Gillis too and with Laurence Gilman parting ways with the leafs, mights see that Gilman/Gillis connection again.

Staios in Ottawa is off to a good start. Hope we don’t regret keeping Holland for another year at the expense of Staios

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I was thinking Mike Gillis too and with Laurence Gilman parting ways with the leafs, mights see that Gilman/Gillis connection again.

Staios in Ottawa is off to a good start. Hope we don’t regret keeping Holland for another year at the expense of Staios
I think Staios was heading to Ottawa regardless with his longtime business partner and friend cuing up to buy that team. I'm a believer in Staios as a GM but his relationship earned him the trust of the really big President's chair in Ottawa.

Gilman has a lot of experience but fairly narrow as a cap/numbers guy. His last couple Leaf years seemed to be more removed overlooking their farm team with some developmental responsibilities. Maybe part of an executive team with cap responsibilities (though even there the Leafs had someone else directly overseeing within their bloated management structure.)

Gillis is an interesting guy with a lot of progressive innovative thinking. I think that aligns with how Jackson wants to build up this organization's management depth along with specialization in many areas. Florida - bad word - is a solid example.

There's a Cap on players but not management so I anticipate with a modern, progressive thinker which is what I perceive Jackson to be - there's no reason the big resourced Oilers can't become a model within the modern NHL. I think that's the juice for JJ taking this gig.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Decision should have been made a while ago. Some has to be in charge with the GM's contract set to expire and nothing discussed.

They have just a 2nd rounder, then a 5th and two in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Not exactly a treasure-trove of draft capital to work with for whomever is in charge.
It’s way less about the actual picks and moreso about having all 32 teams in a room where lots of traction towards trades is made. This period from about Thursday until next Tuesday is basically the busiest the league is all year, so not having the guy in place who you plan to have running things going forward is definitely a detriment. The next GM should be on the draft floor looking into things like moving Ceci, Kulak and maybe even what the cost would be to get someone to eat the Campbell contract instead of the buyout.

I do suspect they’ve already got something in the works, and they’ll announce it Wednesday/Thursday. Especially with Dreger saying that Holland isn’t expected to be at the draft as of now.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I am thinking it is Paul Coffey - special advisor for multiple years. Lots of good things said behind the scenes on talent evaluation etc.

Had no intention or desire to ever coach and didnt want to do that. Then it is also to quiet that unless Jackson is taking this on a GM should be in place before draft and free agency. Kind of tells me this is internal.

Maybe I am wrong but lots of events very short notice for a full hiring process.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Quagmire Gillis as GM? :laugh:

He had an impressive run with the Canucks but he was fired 10 years ago and has not held a GM or any other executive position since. That’s a pretty big red flag.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Shouldn’t Holland be at the draft ? On some level? Even though he sucks at it.

If Broberg and Holloway work out and it looks like they will. You could argue Hollands vision at the draft which looks to be size and speed is actually working… We are a speed-built team and we dominate like one when playing our best.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Quagmire Gillis as GM? :laugh:

He had an impressive run with the Canucks but he was fired 10 years ago and has not held a GM or any other executive position since. That’s a pretty big red flag.
You should do some homework instead of your usual cold aka bad take on things.

Gillis was far ahead of the curve in terms of his background and approach to the hockey management function. He still is. The point is the relationship between Jackson and Gillis who share a similar growth mindset pursuing new ways of cajoling old, establishment 'we've always done it this way of thinking.'

"I’m really interested in analytics, sports science, human performance, and how to blend those things into a high-culture organization."

Gillis is inspired by the bigger picture: challenging the dimensions of the NHL rink and the time of day teams practice, suggesting a complete overhaul of traditional scouting processes, and imagining a future where a team dresses five forwards and a goalie (seriously).

"As a general manager of a team, you’re really myopic. You’re really focused on your team performance, on your individual player performance, on your coaching performance. I like that part of the job, but right now I’m more interested in how you build an organization, how you see results, how you measure results," said Gillis, who spoke to Sportsnet after delivering a wide-ranging hour-plus-long talk at Ryerson University for a lecture hall filled with coaches of all levels.

So… special advisor? President of hockey ops?

"Whatever title is not what turns my crank," Gillis said. "I think when you have a truly high-functioning, well-organized company or sports organization that titles become less relevant. It’s more productivity and how you work together."

Gillis, who appreciates the Premier League organizational chart, believes an NHL front office could maximize its effectiveness by hiring four assistant GMs, plus a behind-the-scenes cast of problem-solvers devoted to maximizing its individual players through the study of hard evidence and suggesting their ideal linemates and situational usage to the GM and coach.

Mike Gillis is a former player agent, lawyer, and most importantly around these parts, General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks, but it's what he's learned in his time away from the game that we're interested in these days. Mr. Gillis has spent the past few years touring sports performance powerhouses all over the globe - Switzerland, Spain, here on North American soil - you name it. What impact have those travels had on his desire to return to the national hockey league? What has he learned? What has he learned to avoid?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I do not want to touch Gillis with John Holmes private parts. Gillis gets waaay too much credit for what he did with Vancouver and after the cup run? He had the biggest ego in the NHL. There is a reason why teams did not touch him. Nonis left with a lot of cap space that he used but when things got tight? HE had no idea what to do

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I don't think we see a new GM until around mid July.

Jackson will handle all the immediate items, such as Campbell buyout, draft, free agency etc, potentially with some input from Holland.

That is unless Jackson just ends up being the GM full-time. He's clearly pretty hands-on and will be very invested in the contract situations for Drai, Bouch and Connor.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think we see a new GM until around mid July.

Jackson will handle all the immediate items, such as Campbell buyout, draft, free agency etc, potentially with some input from Holland.

That is unless Jackson just ends up being the GM full-time. He's clearly pretty hands-on and will be very invested in the contract situations for Drai, Bouch and Connor.

I'm thinking this except that Holland has too much pride and fire to kick around - and I think he goes back to Detroit to advise Stevie Y.

I have a feeling they have someone lined up who is younger who can grow as McD/Drai grow older, and would allow Jackson to also continue having say.

At first I thought John Ferguson Jr - who was GM when Jeff Jackson was assistant GM in Toronto, but that wouldn't fit what I am saying.

I do wonder about Ryan Hardy, who is with the Leafs - I do wonder about Ryan Martin, who is the NYR assistant GM and tight with Knoblauch. and a bit out of left field but I wonder about Shawn Horcoff.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm thinking this except that Holland has too much pride and fire to kick around - and I think he goes back to Detroit to advise Stevie Y.

I have a feeling they have someone lined up who is younger who can grow as McD/Drai grow older, and would allow Jackson to also continue having say.

At first I thought John Ferguson Jr - who was GM when Jeff Jackson was assistant GM in Toronto, but that wouldn't fit what I am saying.

I do wonder about Ryan Hardy, who is with the Leafs - I do wonder about Ryan Martin, who is the NYR assistant GM and tight with Knoblauch. and a bit out of left field but I wonder about Shawn Horcoff.
I think they'll look at Ryan Martin for sure and he's an interesting name. Obviously history with Holland and Knoblauch. Nit a traditional hockey guy either, which I like.

I think Horcoff is a smart guy, but coming here would be a lot of pressure on him.

Huge no to JFJ!!!!!!

Also, I don't see why Stevie Y would need Ken as a Senior Advisor. They've been there done that. I do think that Jeff Jackson and new GM guy could use Ken around during this transition phase.

This is such a huge hire and we'll see what happens. I haven't seen anyone mention Sam Gagner very likely retiring and joining in a developmental role or something. I see a big future for him on the management side.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Well well well. Look who just became available ;)

Congratulations on retirement, Slats. Quite honestly I thought you had packed it in a decade a go. Oiler legend.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I honestly thought JJ was running things and Holland was just there as a figurehead until his contract ended.
Seems like a bit of a tag team right now. Kenny is still doing all the media hits and stuff. I think Paul Coffey worked closely with Jeff before the coaching change. I think we all hope he stay behind the bench, but I guess we'll see.

I'm surprised Stauffer hasn't said much about what the management structure will look like next year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I don’t think Staios would have accepted a gm role if he knew he would likely be President of hockey ops for the Sens should Andlauer become owner.

My guess is that the Oilers reached out about possibly bringing him in as successor to Holland but by that point he knew there was a good chance Andlauer was going to own the Sens and that his preference was that opportunity so he likely told the Oilers he’d accept an advisory position with the Oilers with the understanding that if Andlauer bought the Sens he would likely be moving over there but if that fell through then he’d be open to being considered as a Holland replacement.

As for the next GM of the Oilers, it wouldn’t surprise me to see a name that not many are expecting. I think Jackson is going to be very involved in the roster building/contract negotiation and so the person he selects will be someone he hand picks and will be responsible for managing day to day stuff but won’t be the decision maker. He’ll manage the team and front office put in place by Jackson, who himself will be calling the shots and making the decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad