Confirmed with Link: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks Upd it's Warsofsky

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I have not been privy to one report or speculation by any insiders about Couture. That was a very odd way to end a press conference that Grier wanted squarely focused on Warsofsky…
Yeah, super weird. Maybe Sheng was digging (or maybe the Canadian media is trying to rile up offseason storylines) and he's a player-first GM seemingly, so he decided to nip it in the bud before it was even a public narrative. Probably didn't want to wait next week to have to damage control if the story came out before next week's pre-draft conference.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
THIS SITE ON MOBILE SUCKS AND RELOADS ALL THE TIME I had 5 bullet points typed out about why I liked this press conference and reloaded and I lost it all.

Summary: Warsofsky seems smart and adaptable to his players, Twitter misquoted Warsofsky and Grier multiple times, Grier treats people right.

Had that happen to me all the time. Switched to Brave browser and it’s fixed the page breaks. Hope that helps

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Fine-tuning is last, and arguably the most critical part to winning a Stanley Cup. Coincidentally, it was the aspect of GMing that Doug Wilson was horrible at.
Curious what you (or anyone else) would have done differently with the Sharks once they had the core guys of Thornton, Marleau, Cheechoo, and Vlasic in place. Even add Couture and Pavelski in there if you want that came later. In my mind, the problem was that the team wasn't done being built at that point and it wasn't ready to be fine tuned. They had built one very good line, but the second line was not nearly good enough and the defense still needed a lot more help.

I doubt many will agree with me, but I think they needed to continue to try to add draft picks to build out the rest of the team. Instead, they kept acting like a team that was 1-2 players away when it was more like at least 4-6 players away. Guys like Ryan Clowe, Nils Ekman, etc. deserved to be on third lines, not second and first lines. I'd have been perpetually looking to trade every third forward that got paired with Thornton after his stats got inflated to make him look better than he was to build out either enough draft capital to get the 2-3 more forwards and 2-3 more higher end defensemen we needed via draft or trade.

Setoguchi not working out better obviously didn't help, but I don't know if I blame a GM for not being ahead of the game on that score. They never should have expected Cheechoo's one great season was going to last though, injury or not.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I had some concerns about Warsofsky and the effect of being under Quinn may have been (Kind of like how Boughner was a PDB-lite). But this quote definitely gave me confidence in him:

"The numbers weren't great, the analytics weren't great. We have to make changes. There has to be a system in place that our players know what's going on, they understand the system. We're not teaching the system in games 62 and 65, there's some predictability with it."

Also confirms what most knew - Quinn's systems were horrible.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I had some concerns about Warsofsky and the effect of being under Quinn may have been (Kind of like how Boughner was a PDB-lite). But this quote definitely gave me confidence in him:

"The numbers weren't great, the analytics weren't great. We have to make changes. There has to be a system in place that our players know what's going on, they understand the system. We're not teaching the system in games 62 and 65, there's some predictability with it."

Also confirms what most knew - Quinn's systems were horrible.

I know, this stuck out to me too - particularly after hearing Sturm talk about the system with Sheng and Keegan. Sturm didn’t blame Quinn but definitely hit on the same thing — that guys weren’t understanding the system. So, either Quinn had no system or it was so complicated no one knew what the f*** he was talking about.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I know, this stuck out to me too - particularly after hearing Sturm talk about the system with Sheng and Keegan. Sturm didn’t blame Quinn but definitely hit on the same thing — that guys weren’t understanding the system. So, either Quinn had no system or it was so complicated no one knew what the f*** he was talking about.
I was surprised he was so open about it in the presser, I imagine he might regret that if it gets back to quinnie. Hockey world is small.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I enjoyed watching it, so don't get me wrong, AND the Sharks social media team has been killing it... but it's kind of a mind f*** to think that there was a social media person there to document another social media/marketing person instructing the coach how to hold the phone, then videoing the coach videoing himself as if he's taking a personal video to intro himself to the sharks.

It's social media all the way down. Hella weird.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I enjoyed watching it, so don't get me wrong, AND the Sharks social media team has been killing it... but it's kind of a mind f*** to think that there was a social media person there to document another social media/marketing person instructing the coach how to hold the phone, then videoing the coach videoing himself as if he's taking a personal video to intro himself to the sharks…

We used to call that a cameraman. Cameraperson?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00