Next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup

Who will be the first Canadian team since 93 to win the Stanley Cup?

• Total voters

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So I am not going to really continue just because at this point it's clear we disagree and our opinions will just cycle back and forth. Time is the only answer and hopefully when that time comes one of us are able to admit we are wrong.

However I just have to respond to the bolded. What did he do? Oh nothing, just added two key pieces to the cup wins without moving any decent roster pieces. If Lou did that he'd blow this sites expectations out of the water. It would be like getting a top pairing D + a scoring winger to the Leafs without moving any of Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Kadri, Rielly, etc etc.

That part of your response is just laughable.

Two guys getting run out of town, one that likely had no suitors; and put them on a team with two of the best centres to play the game of hockey. It's also on him that Murray and Fleury played out of their minds in the playoffs as Pittsburgh got out chanced and shot nightly for the most part.

They had the luxury of selling their entire farm for Kessel because they had those two guys. No other team can do that without getting hurt. A first and your top prospect? Sure, why not. Not many teams could even fit that. Also, I don't think anyone expected that our of Schultz. This guy was considered a dark spot on the Oil roster; there was joy when they got a 3rd.

He also had something like 17-18 years in Raleigh. 5 playoffs. 1 perfect season cup. While Carolina is still suffering from some of the moves he made :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Come on man give me a break. If you have a D that isn't sheltered that puts up good possession stats in the top 10 for scoring defensemen, that is undeniably a top pair guy if not a #1. Unless you think Burns isn't a #1 because Pickles and Braun get the shutdown match-ups. There is no evidence that Ehlers, Bennett and Tkachuk have more untapped potential than Marner and Nylander, especially Tkachuk and Bennett. Tkachuk and Bennett haven't apporached the level Marner and Nylander were at last year. And despite teams working harder to shut them down this season (or so HF told us over and over in the summer) they are pacing to match their totals. Mike Smith has been an average to below average starter every year since 2012 with the exception of this one. Calling him an all-star calibre goalie seems a little duplicitous.

There's no evidence that says otherwise either. That's the point. You can't make a claim like that and expect not to be called out.
Tkachuk is currently the better player than Nylander/Marner, and was last year too. The fact he got shit PP time, limited ice time, and the hardest match-ups for his team and wasn't outproduced by like 20-30 points... This year he's doing all that, but getting some bonus PP time... The guy's going to outproduce Nylander/Marner possibly too. The fact you simply didn't watch him doesn't mean the guys you follow are better.

:popcorn:

Mike Smith has been on literally the worst run franchise (fighting with Edmonton) for a long time. With a D that can actually do something in front of him, he's going to the All-Star game. Not much to argue about there.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Peg felt the same about Mo, but the tune has changed. Winning does that, and fans are fickle. From a purely historical view, Babs is pretty good.

I think Toronto and Calgary are #1 and 2. Peg is #3. The other 3 are hard to rank, because none seem to be contenders for the next couple years, unless Montreal hits a jackpot (they are closest to the top 3).

Maybe Vancouver wins the lottery...then they are right near the top.

As of now though, I will stick with Toronto -> Calgary -> Winnipeg.

Jets are the cream of the crop. Leading the hardest division in hockey all while missing their #1C and having played the most road games out of any team. Leafs have holes and I believe Calgary is a more complete team. The way I see it:

Jets

Flames
Leafs

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Jets are the cream of the crop. Leading the hardest division in hockey all while missing their #1C and having played the most road games out of any team. Leafs have holes and I believe Calgary is a more complete team. The way I see it:

Jets

Flames
Leafs

For the record, when I said Toronto, Cal then Peg, I was answering who would win first not most likely to win this year.

I don’t think any of those 3 will win this year, but I like the makeup of Toronto and Calgary long term.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
so beer league team > leafs is what you're saying?

That's not what he's saying. Nice try but that makes no sense. I'm actually embarrassed a bunch of posters liked this nonsense.

As for the poll: I'd say jets and leafs are the two favorites at this point. I'm interested to see if the Oilers can rebound next year. Never been big on the flames or sens. Vancouver has some nice pieces but will probably take awhile.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
During that time Winnipeg has existed TML have grand total of one PO series win (1 in 11 seasons, Jets have played 6 seasons) and 2 PO appearances during that 11 seasons. I don't think thats something to brag about.
he said franchise. which goes back to 99 actually.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I would not trade Chucky for either Marner or Nylander...
I wouldn't trade eitger for tkachuk.

honest question. are you at all concerned that your number 1 dman is 35 next year and will be significantly less effective with each passing year?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Going to go against my better judgment and say Edmonton because of McDavid
Could definitely see Jets or Leafs soon though, maybe Calgary as well

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
LOL

Why are the Jets winning with almost half the votes? Have they ever won even a SINGLE playoff game?

Jeez. Track record is more important than even talent to win the cup. This is the first year they're competitive. Whose to say they don't falter again next year, or get swept in round 1 this year? Unless you expect them to win the cup this year - just because they're the best team so far this season doesn't mean they'll win the cup first.

I don't mind the idea of people picking the Jets based on liking their roster as much as it bugs me that people are just voting for the shiny new toy. A year ago Jets would have gotten like 5% votes max and Edmonton would have been at the top, with Toronto close behind.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Right now the Jets have the best record at the moment but their lead is not other worldly. Too close to call right now between them Calgary and the Leafs. Odds are we have the toughest first round match up so that hurts our chances.

Going forward? Who knows? Who's surprise prospect becomes an insta star? Who makes a dazzling trade to clear up a glaring weakness? No one knows.

Not voting.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Right now the Jets have the best record at the moment but their lead is not other worldly. Too close to call right now between them Calgary and the Leafs. Odds are we have the toughest first round match up so that hurts our chances.

Going forward? Who knows? Who's surprise prospect becomes an insta star? Who makes a dazzling trade to clear up a glaring weakness? No one knows.

Not voting.
Why only Calgary, Toronto and Winnipeg?

shouldn't Edmonton get massive consideration with McDavid? That has to make them likely to win a cup, no?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why only Calgary, Toronto and Winnipeg?

shouldn't Edmonton get massive consideration with McDavid? That has to make them likely to win a cup, no?
I think their cap issues are going to make things very difficult for them without brilliant asset management. They have 61 mil committed to 13 players and Nurse is due a new contract plus 6 other RFA's all of which will either need a 10% raise or be cut loose/renegotiated with. Their 4 UFA's only account for 5 mil in cap space so basically all have to be replaced with ELC's or 4 1.25 million dollar players.

I think they will be hard pressed to get significantly better unless they find a way to unload Lucic or Russell's contracts and then they have to replace that/those players.

Basically their GM has to get some breathing room while at the same time finding high value cheap players to fill out his wings and bottom D while hoping for internal solutions to pan out.

Might be a couple years yet before they get in the swing of things.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
LOL

Why are the Jets winning with almost half the votes? Have they ever won even a SINGLE playoff game?

Jeez. Track record is more important than even talent to win the cup. This is the first year they're competitive. Whose to say they don't falter again next year, or get swept in round 1 this year? Unless you expect them to win the cup this year - just because they're the best team so far this season doesn't mean they'll win the cup first.

I don't mind the idea of people picking the Jets based on liking their roster as much as it bugs me that people are just voting for the shiny new toy. A year ago Jets would have gotten like 5% votes max and Edmonton would have been at the top, with Toronto close behind.

jets are 1st in their division
no one's whining about it , but you

Reactions: Gurilla

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I think Winnipeg is the best team right now. Having McDavid gives Edmonton a chance to attract other good players, so they might be the better bet looking into the future. But I don't think any Canadian team is going to win it anytime soon. Probably Montreal again about 20 or 30 years from now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It certainly looks like it will be Toronto, Maybe Winnipeg but most of the Canadian teams are still really bad, only Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary are actually good but Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa are all awful, the only one with any hope of those 4 is Ednonton and that is only because of Mcdavid.

But even in Edmonton's case they appear to be doing whatever they can to get further away from a cup with the trades of Eberle for Strome and Hall for Larsson

As it stands I think, only Toronto and Winnipeg have a legitimate shot at a cup right now, but that will change if Calgary gets 1 more offensive weapon that will change.

I don't think Calgary has the offense to win a cup right now, but if they landed a Mike Hoffman type winger I think that would change a lot

Whileee

May 29, 2010
LOL

So, I guess the Habs should be at the top, because they've won the most playoff games in franchise history.

Canucks rank pretty high because they've had some good runs.

Sens had a deep run last year, so they have to rank high.

This notion that a franchise's history is an important criteria for prediction of future performance is really lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad