Marlies Discussion: News | We've signed forward Alex Nylander to a one-year AHL contract.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
We'll see how he shows up at camp.

And you give great compliment to William.
NHL is too easy for him, he needs a challenge.
He should work harder and go for back-to-back 50 goal seasons.

Nylander has turned into a pretty good hockey player the last couple years, and if it comes down to between him and Marner, I take Nylander.

If that means giving his much less talented brother a job in the minor leagues for a million bucks a year as the cost of doing business then, hey, whatever keeps the cap down.

If Marner had a brother who played hockey they could have saved another million.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
In situations where one brother is so much better than the other I always wonder why.

Their genetics and environment they were raised in are the same. They both have the same dna and all the same benefits that go along with being a hockey player's son. But one of them is a star while the other is a fringe NHL'er.

What separates the two.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Alex Nylander’s production in Columbus wasn’t just a hot streak.

17 of his 18 highest TOI per game of his NHL career are as a Blue Jacket. Averaging 4.5 mins more per game and playing some nights over 20 mins.

That is giving a player real opportunity

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
1722273496214.png

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Let's give them more. Maybe Matthews sister can run the powerplay. Let's get Mitch Marner's dog to be the AGM, MLSE can buy another Calder Cup and then we get to remember that it means nothing.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
In situations where one brother is so much better than the other I always wonder why.

Their genetics and environment they were raised in are the same. They both have the same dna and all the same benefits that go along with being a hockey player's son. But one of them is a star while the other is a fringe NHL'er.

What separates the two.
No, they don't. That's not how genetics work. Small differences in code can mean a world of difference in the makeup of each.

If you were talking about identical twins, well then you might have a point.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Two years now I’ve been saying this. You don’t go 8th in the draft and not have skills, he has an NHL shot and nice size but needs to be dedicated to his fitness like Willy.

Drafted by Buffalo, then Chicago, then the Pens and then the Blue Jackets, he wasn’t exactly placed in a prime position to succeed. He put up respectable numbers on a bad Chicago team before Covid and he’s rewarded with a demotion; prior to that as a 19-20 year old he put up good numbers with Buffalo’s affiliate and his reward is 12 games in garbage time, off ice shit or not that’s no way to handle a prospect.

First Bunting, then Samsonov, could this be the third low risk signing that pops? Probably not and obviously you make him earn it, but there is a very real chance he can put up 35-40 points if he’s up with the big club.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Two years now I’ve been saying this. You don’t go 8th in the draft and not have skills, he has an NHL shot and nice size but needs to be dedicated to his fitness like Willy.

Drafted by Buffalo, then Chicago, then the Pens and then the Blue Jackets, he wasn’t exactly placed in a prime position to succeed. He put up respectable numbers on a bad Chicago team before Covid and he’s rewarded with a demotion; off ice shit or not that’s no way to handle a prospect.

First Bunting, then Samsonov, could this be the third low risk signing that pops? Probably not and obviously you make him earn it, but there is a very real chance he can put up 35-40 points if he’s up with the big club.

He signed a AHL deal. Nothing like those other guys. He is a good AHL player, perhaps it should just stay that way. Why are people getting ahead of themselves? He might not see a single minute of ice time for the Leafs.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Good depth and intriguing to see if the Columbus output wasn’t a blip. See what he looks like at camp. Start him in the A then give a contract if there is an injury or trade.

How does a 8th overall bomb out like he did? Some guys just aren’t NHL players, but his path has been a stumble from the start after the CHL.

Played with a horrible Rochester AHL team at 18 (how that was allowed I don’t know thought you had to be 19) that wasn’t a good start. Seemed to pout a bit and be inconsistent with effort level while with Buffalo in the minors. Missed nearly a year with a knee injury and the Covid year. (2020) with Chicago.

Never really got a chance with Pittsburgh but was just average in the AHL. Finally getting close to a ppg player in the last AHL year with them

Had a good stint with Columbus with higher minutes.

Don’t know. We’ll see. Low risk at this point.
He was on loan to the CHL from his European team and thus considered a European player and not a Jr. player so he was eligible to play in the AHL.
In hindsight it probably would have been better for him if that wasn’t the case.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
He signed a AHL deal. Nothing like those other guys. He is a good AHL player, perhaps it should just stay that way. Why are people getting ahead of themselves? He might not see a single minute of ice time for the Leafs.

I don’t see why people are questioning others optimism on this signing…

Really not that deep to understand why people would be excited by this.

I hope he has a good camp and gets a contact offer from the leafs. I think he could be a piece that plays in the top 6 eventually. He has a big league shot like his brother, and has produced more often than not when given top 6 minutes.

Alex Nylander could be a good piece here that allows wingers like McMann and Knies to be slotted correctly on the left side (if Robertson gets traded).

It remains to be seen if he can actually garner top 6 minutes, but you’d be stupid to think that Willy isn’t going to be grilling this guy at every opportunity to make this team.

Reactions: arso40 and Da Mash

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
As loyal fans we deserve a Verhaeghe type random breakout finally. Hopefully Alex can be it.

Verheaghe was a really good prospect even coming out of the draft. He was a second or third rounder for us. But he was amazing in junior. He just kept getting traded by multiple organizations lol.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

What separates the two.
I used to play with a guy who had been signed by Boston around 1970. He went to training camp, did well, and was told he was going to the minors, but had a good chance of making it to the NHL in a couple of years. He decided not to.

All the talent in the world, but not the drive. His brother had all the drive but not the talent. Both great guys, but completely different.

Reactions: thewave

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No, they don't. That's not how genetics work. Small differences in code can mean a world of difference in the makeup of each.

If you were talking about identical twins, well then you might have a point.
Pretty much, but even the Sedins has some small differences.

I liked their coach's comment when asked if he could tell them apart. He said "Sure - one has a 'D' on his sweater and the other has an 'H'."

• Haha
Reactions: CincoHolio

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I think Amanda Kessel delivered more hits last year than her brother. :sarcasm:
Phil can’t hear you with his Stanley cup rings in his ears.
Hits are so overrated :)

Concerning Alex….at 26 he is a still learning to be a professional. Some take longer and for some it just never clicks.

Hopefully being around his brother all yr will help.
It’s really a low risk signing.

Reactions: ULF_55

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Phil can’t hear you with his Stanley cup rings in his ears.
Hits are so overrated :)

Concerning Alex….at 26 he is a still learning to be a professional. Some take longer and for some it just never clicks.

Hopefully being around his brother all yr will help.
It’s really a low risk signing.
Just having fun with the "core of softies" comment. I agree, hits can be very overrated.

Should someone tell Phil that those are nose rings, not earrings? :sarcasm:

Concerning Alex, I don't see why anyone would have any problem with the signing - very low risk and potentially a large upside.

Reactions: Da Mash

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Verheaghe was a really good prospect even coming out of the draft. He was a second or third rounder for us. But he was amazing in junior. He just kept getting traded by multiple organizations lol.

I remember him just not having a good showing in either of our rookie tournaments. That wasn’t nearly enough for me to be fine with trading him, but I remember it was for a lot of people on here.

I was high on him just from stat watching and from what Dave Morrison said of him post draft.

Reactions: francis246

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015

What separates the two.
With the Nylanders in particular, it's skating more than anything else. William has always been the far more dynamic and powerful skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad