Marlies Discussion: News | We've signed forward Alex Nylander to a one-year AHL contract.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Love it. Low risk but a lot of reward. AHL gets him a guaranteed contract here but can be converted into an NHL if he impresses

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Love this move. I think this turns into an NHL deal when we have space, and it also gives him a chance to be actually coached on what he needs to do to be an NHL player.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He will be a leaf soon. Contract space is an issue

They have no contract space issue. They are at 44/50 with Robertson. It could be 46/50 if both Cowan and Chadwick makes the Leafs. Not impossible for Cowan, very unlikely for Chadwick.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With the Worlds in Sweden he better hope the Marlies don’t go on a deep run preventing him from playing with his brother.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Unless he lays an egg with the Marlies I think it's likely he gets an NHL contract. It'll be interesting to see if playing with his brother can help him find more success at the NHL level.

Reactions: arso40

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If I were to just throw a complete guess at it, the AHL deal will be equivalent to an NHL league min deal or whatever in actual dollar terms, and would be converted to an NHL deal after the waiver period in training camp.

He will probably be on the preseason roster, if he plays well enough to make the NHL, he signs a NHL contract. If he he does not play well, he goes down to the AHL without having to pass through waivers. It is a smart way to protect an asset. If Robertson decides he wants t to be a stubborn dummy and not sign a contract, Nylander Jr. is kind of LW insurance.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
He will probably be on the preseason roster, if he plays well enough to make the NHL, he signs a NHL contract. If he he does not play well, he goes down to the AHL without having to pass through waivers. It is a smart way to protect an asset. If Robertson decides he wants t to be a stubborn dummy and not sign a contract, Nylander Jr. is kind of LW insurance.
Isn’t he a RW?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’d give him a chance in a couple roles

3rd line, playing with his brother and even maybe Marner. He showed some goal scoring prowess last season so maybe he can do it here too

What we shouldn’t do is bring him in and play him 3rd-4th line with no power play time. He doesn’t seem like he fits in that role

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Now it explains William’s 11.5, understood 500 grand goes to help pay his brother. ;)

Can Marner’s brother skate at all? Maybe we can offer him an ECHL contract to keep Mitch’s pay down? ;)

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes it does unless he gets an NHL deal

It’ll be interesting to see how he does. Perhaps there was a discussion of him getting the possibility of earning a contract with the Leafs

I would have thought there’d be a team out there interested in seeing if he can bring some depth scoring at minimal risk.

I'm curious if he was offered anything elsewhere but wanted Toronto?

And he isn't limited to a ELSC contract, so we don't know how much he is getting.

He can live with big brother for probably a reasonable cost to rent the basement.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
11 goals in 23 games last season with CLB with only two coming on the PP.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He got 11 goals in 25 games with Colombus. Thats like a 35 goal pace at 26 years old. Why does this guy keep getting bounced? Looks like Robertson just got replaced.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He got 11 goals in 25 games with Colombus. Thats like a 35 goal pace at 26 years old. Why does this guy keep getting bounced? Looks like Robertson just got replaced.
I suppose 49 points in 121 GP seems underwhelming for an 8th overall pick from 2016?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
For those of you that think A. Nylander will come in, play the top line, and have a 30G - 30A 60 PTS season...

...mmmmmmmaybe temper your expectations.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Solid signing…I think he was working out with his brother this summer so maybe Willy made a solid case for becoming a leaf :)

Is his skating that bad ? and he still was a high pick?

Like others have mentioned he could be Robertson replacement …shoots as well but is bigger at 6’1 …..

Like his brother Willy he will really need to work on his defensive game.

Big add for the Marlies for now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad