Confirmed with Link: News Release: Ottawa Senators appoint Ian Mendes as vice president, communications and name Sylvain St-Laurent director, communications

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

Mendes comes in at post #327

Some of that stuff is among the most insane stuff posted on HFSens in the past 20 years, that aged like a bowl of tuna in milk :laugh:

When did those two (sweatred & supersens) leave here and was it of their own accord?

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Does this mean Mendes and St Laurent will get their names on the Cup? It’ll be crazy if these dudes get handed a Cup from Thomas Chabot and they can all be like “This shitz soooo crazzzyyyy”

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
He offered to setup a zoom call with some people to discuss his article that a few posters here were chastising him over, the posters turned down the offer and Mendes was then accused of promoting Zoom for his own personal gain by a poster, so he packed up and rightfully left.

It was an absolutely wild day or two, some of the most insane drivel posted here by a poster(s) of days past.

Insane.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I believe it was a different article, or maybe even just reporting about some events that he was investigating/reporting on previously. I think it was about the Sens Foundation, whatever it was the Phillips used to be working with that he abruptly left back in 2021, that Mendes had written about for a year or so. This happened pre-death of Melnyk

The Mendes and Strang article came out in 2022, a year after Mendes left the board.

This stuff was a result, I can only assume without going in to deep, after Phillips left the Sens Foundation back on June 23, 2021

Mendes comes in at post #327

Some of that stuff is among the most insane stuff posted on HFSens in the past 20 years, that aged like a bowl of tuna in milk :laugh:
Mendes was PlayOn? I don’t see those two going at it with anyone? Maybe he deleted his posts

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Mendez is liked. And is liked in circles outside of sports. He has been involved in Ottawa area events for years and has contacts like crazy. This is a perfect way to create peace with local media and bring them into the fold.

He also worked at Sportsnet and will bridge a gap with the National Media.
Sly will do the same for the Franco side of the country

This was well thought out

As for Dean and Gord, the contract ends in 2026. Until the future is known, little change will occur. Plus, they are radio, which is a small audience.

What I see is a younger duo or single person coming in and hosting events in Dean and Gord's place. And be the voice of the Sens. Considering the time we are in, a female, possibly a minority/ethnic, and Youngish. But that is most likely in 2026 as well. She can host the radio and internet shows, do the between periods and be the spokeswomen for them. EMCEE events and so on.

it would be clever to see some young graduate from College. Someone with a degree in communications and possibly played on Carleton or U of O hockey teams.

If all else fails, JR has 3 daughters. And Sutcliff has a daughter. And I have no idea if the Yorks or the Malholtra's have a daughter that is of age.

play by play and colour will depend on who gets the next radio contract, It might make sense to find some young guy, who will do it for a few years.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Peter Levi at eyesonsens is gonna shyt his pants. Lol. I love it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Sucks to lose Mendes covering the team... but very glad that rhe senators are finally bringing in quality people to fill out management.

It's been going further and further downhill after Murray died.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Man reading that thread I miss the guys that actually truly didn’t like me.
Nah. We all at peace talking real stuff now, hockey stuff. It's what fans are supposed to do. Defence pairings, line combos, who's on the powerplay. Can so and so play pk and pp? Things are good in these parts now.

Reactions: Dionysus

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This means Melnyks and their 10% share likely don't have any say whatsoever. If someone wrote an article highlighting my dad as a piece of shit after his passing I dont know how anyone can forgive and forget that.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Mendes is great but I would have preferred it if he had remained an impartial voice rather than a team employee. If his new gig pays better than his old one then good for him I guess.
This also came to mind.

Ian was the only guy who asked questions not giving a shit if it made the GM/Coach feel good or bad he just asked what the fans wanted answered. There is no one I think who can play Mendes role like he did, actually gonna miss him. Could also play a part of why the team hired him.

Reactions: Laphroaig

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I am not a fan of Brown and Wilson; however, they are fanboys who say little of consequence and boost the team, so I expect them to remain in place. The broadcasts would be more interesting if they hired someone who gave truthful analytical views on team performance like Cheryl Pounder and Mike Johnson.

I generally agree but to hopefully the new mantra of having best in class leads to the sens hiring someone who brings more than a fanboy attitude and a barrel full of narcissism.

I’ll echo @bert and say I’d love to see AJ get a shot. He’s got some epic RedBlacks calls and I’m sure would soon have the same with the sens.

Reactions: bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dean brown for me is the voice of the sens. And I think he’s actually quite good. Him and Gord just distract eachother in air lol. That’s why I prefer Dean when was was doing tv commentary.

Reactions: BigRig4

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Mendez is liked. And is liked in circles outside of sports. He has been involved in Ottawa area events for years and has contacts like crazy. This is a perfect way to create peace with local media and bring them into the fold.

He also worked at Sportsnet and will bridge a gap with the National Media.
Sly will do the same for the Franco side of the country
Mendes used to be manager of communications with the team about 20 years ago.

Mendes worked as manager of communications from 2000 to 2002 for the Ottawa Senators, before covering the hockey club for multiple media outlets, including Rogers Sportsnet, TSN 1200 and The Athletic. "Returning to the organization that helped launch my career is truly a special feeling," said Mendes.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This also came to mind.

Ian was the only guy who asked questions not giving a shit if it made the GM/Coach feel good or bad he just asked what the fans wanted answered. There is no one I think who can play Mendes role like he did, actually gonna miss him. Could also play a part of why the team hired him.

I wonder what percentage of Sens nations pays the Athletic for his hockey coverage?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's always interesting when people "cross over" the aisle in their industry, so to speak. Ian and Sylvain are excellent sports journalists so I think they bring some very high credibility to their positions but it's gonna be interesting to see how they approach their tasks given their lengthy tenures as the people asking the questions rather than the ones answering/shaping the answers.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's always interesting when people "cross over" the aisle in their industry, so to speak. Ian and Sylvain are excellent sports journalists so I think they bring some very high credibility to their positions but it's gonna be interesting to see how they approach their tasks given their lengthy tenures as the people asking the questions rather than the ones answering/shaping the answers.
Mendes already had a similar position with the Sens from 2000-2002. He was manager of communications.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Mendes already had a similar position with the Sens from 2000-2002. He was manager of communications.
Completely different times, different responsibilities, different person, etc. It's not at all a 1:1 comparison. Case in point, social media didn't exist and HD wasn't a TV standard at that point. Like I said, he brings a lot of credibility to the role but it will be interesting to see how he and Sylvain adjust their mindsets and if there's any noticeable change in the team's communications.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium