Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Doesn’t get more accurate than this.

March 26 vs Washington.
I mean it's just f***ing sad how predictable this shit is at this point. NHL can talk all the talk they want about showing more of the league, etc. but NBC never even comes close to actually living up to their statements on this.

Only good news for me is that's the game I'll be in DC anyway due to the giveaway so I don't give a shit. Can't get blacked out even when NBCSN inevitably changes their minds if you're in the building.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I mean it's just ****ing sad how predictable this **** is at this point. NHL can talk all the talk they want about showing more of the league, etc. but NBC never even comes close to actually living up to their statements on this.

Only good news for me is that's the game I'll be in DC anyway due to the giveaway so I don't give a ****. Can't get blacked out even when NBCSN inevitably changes their minds if you're in the building.

The Blackhawks, who finished behind the Hurricanes last year will be on 19 times.

Cam is probably going to be starting more regular season games on national TV than he has in his entire career and he’s the goddamn backup.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's just business. We barely draw in our own market so why would NBC want to put us on nationally? We have no guys on the team that are a top star in the league, our best player is a 21 year old from Finland, and we haven't made the playoffs in 9 seasons. We were lucky to get 1 game.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's just business. We barely draw in our own market so why would NBC want to put us on nationally? We have no guys on the team that are a top star in the league, our best player is a 21 year old from Finland, and we haven't made the playoffs in 9 seasons. We were lucky to get 1 game.
Yeah, I'm kinda "meh" on this whole thing anyway. Sure, it would be great to get better national coverage, but how about we win a few more games before we start bitching about things.

As has been said about our own local attendance issues....winning cures all ills.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
When you look at the picture of Svech and Necas at the top of Chip's article, you'd never know that the common view is that Necas is too thin to play in the NHL and Svech has an NHL ready body. Granted, it's a bit deceiving because Necas still has his hockey pants on, but still.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Per Chip’s article, paid attendance was up $3.5m last year. That’s pretty good!

I think not being out of it by early November is a big reason. Though they folded down the stretch, actually being in a play off spot into mid January certainly helps, even if it was partly due to the rest of the division not playing well.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The season after the Cup we were slated for 2 NBC Sunday games. Both were on the road.

One was at Madison Square Garden the same day and time that NC State and UNC played for the ACC Championship. The other was a few weeks later against the Thrashers. That game was blacked out in every market except Raleigh and Atlanta. We in Charlotte got stuck with whatever the other game was (probably Rangers vs Penguins).

I'm not surprised at all that we get one game again. Make the f***ing playoffs for once and change that shit. Otherwise this is how it's going to be.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean it's just ****ing sad how predictable this **** is at this point. NHL can talk all the talk they want about showing more of the league, etc. but NBC never even comes close to actually living up to their statements on this.

Only good news for me is that's the game I'll be in DC anyway due to the giveaway so I don't give a ****. Can't get blacked out even when NBCSN inevitably changes their minds if you're in the building.
This right here is probably the most frustrating thing. The Canes have arguably one of the better collections of young talent in the league right now. While they're not winning in the here and now, it really won't be long before they do. The light switch will flip, and they will start rolling through teams. Probably not this year, but 2019? Yeah, they're kinda loaded. And with shaky goaltending, they're probably going to be a team that's going to be involved of more than a few games this year where both teams combine for 6 or 7+ goals, which makes for good television.

But that's aaaaall going to be ignored because we're in a media blackout. Right now is a great time to cultivate a following with the talented youth we have, and we're in a blackout. Yes, we haven't made the playoffs in a while, but this is a team that we're seeing time and time again described as a goaltender away from being a legitimate playoff lock, and we're being shunned like some leper. I don't get it. If any other team had Aho, Svech, Necas, Slavin, and Hamilton, they'd be a national broadcast once a month. But because its Raleigh, its one game that will likely get bumped.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
When you look at the picture of Svech and Necas at the top of Chip's article, you'd never know that the common view is that Necas is too thin to play in the NHL and Svech has an NHL ready body. Granted, it's a bit deceiving because Necas still has his hockey pants on, but still.
Necas IS pretty thin still. Svech having a bigger build was pretty impressively over rated. He doesn’t really look NHL ready in terms of bulk at all. “Projectable frame” is the term being tossed around there.

They’re both really light. Not as important as it used to be in terms of getting blasted every night but there’s still a lot of grinding and it’s a long season. They’ll both be even lighter than they are by the end of it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This right here is probably the most frustrating thing. The Canes have arguably one of the better collections of young talent in the league right now. While they're not winning in the here and now, it really won't be long before they do. The light switch will flip, and they will start rolling through teams. Probably not this year, but 2019? Yeah, they're kinda loaded. And with shaky goaltending, they're probably going to be a team that's going to be involved of more than a few games this year where both teams combine for 6 or 7+ goals, which makes for good television.

But that's aaaaall going to be ignored because we're in a media blackout. Right now is a great time to cultivate a following with the talented youth we have, and we're in a blackout. Yes, we haven't made the playoffs in a while, but this is a team that we're seeing time and time again described as a goaltender away from being a legitimate playoff lock, and we're being shunned like some leper. I don't get it. If any other team had Aho, Svech, Necas, Slavin, and Hamilton, they'd be a national broadcast once a month. But because its Raleigh, its one game that will likely get bumped.

I disagree. None of those guys are top 30 players in the NHL, and arguably not even top 50. None of those guys are (yet) huge marketing draws around the league/country. These young guys might be some day. Our market isn't great, our team hasn't been great, and our players, while young, aren't a bunch of superstars.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Necas IS pretty thin still. Svech having a bigger build was pretty impressively over rated. He doesn’t really look NHL ready in terms of bulk at all. “Projectable frame” is the term being tossed around there.

They’re both really light. Not as important as it used to be in terms of getting blasted every night but there’s still a lot of grinding and it’s a long season. They’ll both be even lighter than they are by the end of it.

That wasn't my point Bleed (ie..talking about how NHL ready they are). I'm saying that Necas LOOKS much more filled out in the picture when the two sat side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad