News & Notes XLIV: Revenge of the Seth

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Why are we people assuming Kochetkov is the better goalie?
Is anyone assuming that? Personally I think they are very close but Freddy has no more up side and has potential i jury concerns.
With that being said I think Freddy getting game one makes sense. He's much less likely to let a bad game hang over him so let Kooch get the game against a worn out team.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Is anyone assuming that? Personally I think they are very close but Freddy has no more up side and has potential i jury concerns.
With that being said I think Freddy getting game one makes sense. He's much less likely to let a bad game hang over him so let Kooch get the game against a worn out team.
Yea I don't mind giving the vet goalie the start in game 1...my guess is they're likely a 50/50 split like the end of last year unless/until Freddie gets hurt and Kooch gets more starts then. Even if Kooch has a "shit the bed" period he probably needs to still get 50%+ of starts so he can learn to play through and overcome those hurdles if we really want him to become our goalie of the future.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's certainly implied above in many posts above questioning why Freddie is in the crease for opening night, how we should hand over the reigns, how Pyotr should be getting more starts, how Freddie's salary is why he's starting, etc.. etc.

I agree with everything else you wrote.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve seen a lot of posts here that are either flat out saying it or wishing/predicting it’s true.

Freddie may not have more upside but his baseline is as a solid every day starter when we don’t know that at all about Koochie. We’re just hoping.

hblueridgegal

We'll bounce back
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
In town for the game with my son and for Dr. appointments. It’s been a nice mental break.

The game tomorrow is a sellout. How bad should we expect traffic to be on a Friday evening and for an opener? Trying to fit in a nice early bird dinner before.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Why are we people assuming Kochetkov is the better goalie?
The one thing we know about Kochetkov is the more games he plays, especially in a row, the more consistent he is. So it would make sense to give him at least 50% of the games and starting Freddie in Game 1 doesn't mean that's not going to happen. Mentally, I think they have to consider Freddie's mindset as much as Koochie's. He's the one coming off of the bad final playoff game performance.

My untrained eye did tell me that Kotchetkov looked better in the limited pre-season showings than Freddie did.
In town for the game with my son and for Dr. appointments. It’s been a nice mental break.

The game tomorrow is a sellout. How bad should we expect traffic to be on a Friday evening and for an opener? Trying to fit in a nice early bird dinner before.
It will be bad....come early and plan on having a snack in the parking lot after the game. That's what my son andI do.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

The one thing we know about Kochetkov is the more games he plays, especially in a row, the more consistent he is. So it would make sense to give him at least 50% of the games and starting Freddie in Game 1 doesn't mean that's not going to happen. Mentally, I think they have to consider Freddie's mindset as much as Koochie's. He's the one coming off of the bad final playoff game performance.

My untrained eye did tell me that Kotchetkov looked better in the limited pre-season showings than Freddie did.

It will be bad....come early and plan on having a snack in the parking lot after the game. That's what my son andI do.
for the opener I'm usually trying to get into the parking lot mid-afternoon (4-5PM) simply because it's usually crowded early and traffic management is still in pre-season mode at that point. Thankfully I have the day off so probably heading out early if the repairs on my car aren't too difficult (power steering issue)

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The one thing we know about Kochetkov is the more games he plays, especially in a row, the more consistent he is.
True, although that's the case for most goalies.
So it would make sense to give him at least 50% of the games and starting Freddie in Game 1 doesn't mean that's not going to happen. Mentally, I think they have to consider Freddie's mindset as much as Koochie's. He's the one coming off of the bad final playoff game performance.
His health is more of a concern than a "mindset" to me. He's been an NHL starter for years and wouldn't have the track record he did with a questionable mindset.
Pre-season for veterans is meaningless when assessing how good one player is vs. another. Julien Gauthier would be a great NHLr if we judged his ability based on pre-season.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Who starts in the regular season doesn't matter, outside of worrying about when Freddie inevitably gets injured. Who starts in the playoffs matters, because as we saw last year, there's apparently no 1A/1B in the playoffs. Rod (or the goalie coach) is set on running with 1 goalie in the playoffs, regardless of how they play.

So with that in mind, having Kotch play less games in the regular season might be the right move to ensure he's healthy and rested for the playoffs.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Who starts in the regular season doesn't matter, outside of worrying about when Freddie inevitably gets injured. Who starts in the playoffs matters, because as we saw last year, there's apparently no 1A/1B in the playoffs. Rod (or the goalie coach) is set on running with 1 goalie in the playoffs, regardless of how they play.

So with that in mind, having Kotch play less games in the regular season might be the right move to ensure he's healthy and rested for the playoffs.
On top of that, during the regular season, most coaches go with the goalie that has a hot hand. I suspect if one goalie is rolling, they'll get more starts while that's happening. When/if they cool off, they won't.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think anyone expecting Pytor to be the starter or 1A in the tandem right out of the gate is doing a bit of wishcasting. Obviously that's where we all hope this season goes. The young guy with term and upside claiming the crease over the veteran on an expiring contract is the ideal outcome.

But he still has to actually claim it. No surprise that Rod will defer to the veteran for opening night, but after that I would expect a pure 50/50 split until it's obvious one needs to be playing over the other. Hopefully PK can show he's ready to be the guy and Freddie can remain solid and healthy.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I’ve seen a lot of posts here that are either flat out saying it or wishing/predicting it’s true.

Freddie may not have more upside but his baseline is as a solid every day starter when we don’t know that at all about Koochie. We’re just hoping.
Not sure I agree we are "hoping" with Kooch. I mean we all know goalies are voodoo and can fall off a cliff out of nowhere but he has proved "unless he falls of said cliff" to be a pretty damn good goalie pretty equal to how Freddy has played.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not sure I agree we are "hoping" with Kooch. I mean we all know goalies are voodoo and can fall off a cliff out of nowhere but he has proved "unless he falls of said cliff" to be a pretty damn good goalie pretty equal to how Freddy has played.
Not sure I agree that he’s played equal to a little younger, healthier and on a roll Freddie. He’s played equal or better than the Freddie that didn’t seem on track this past season when he played and kinda shat himself in the playoffs. I think you have to acknowledge how good Freddie has been. Koochie hasn’t really been as good for any length of time imo.

Healthier, hungrier, younger…..time to see what he do. Sure. Freddie is at the end of his career so comparing over the last season seems unfair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad