News & Notes XLIV: Revenge of the Seth

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Jaccob is a fine A and a good leader but I don't think he has "The Leader" qualities.

If the spots were good cop bad cop the bad cop would be the "Fire. Time to get your shit together" that Aho has and good cop would be "Its one game lets calm down" that is Jaccob Slain.

Honestly I think they would make a very good leadership team.
Slavin is basically Glen Wesley. Spot on.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He already outlined that it was one of his “bold predictions” for the year. If his actual preview had them in the playoffs that would be pretty hypocritical.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He already outlined that it was one of his “bold predictions” for the year. If his actual preview had them in the playoffs that would be pretty hypocritical.
It's his legitimate pick

East playoff teams are

Toronto
Florida
Tampa
Boston
Buffalo
New York R
New Jersey
New York I

Those are the three playoff teams from the Metro Division, which means that the Hurricanes are not one this season. Which is, admittedly, extremely contrarian and deserves an explanation.

For context: ESPN BET gives the Hurricanes the third best chance of winning the East and sets their point total at 100.5. They've made the playoffs in each of coach Rod Brind'Amour's six seasons behind the bench, playing to a points percentage of .677 or better in each of the last four campaigns. They won the Metro for three straight seasons and were three points away from making it four in a row last season.

But attrition comes for every roster. Carolina lost Brett Pesce, Brady Skjei and Teuvo Teravainen during the offseason. That's a lot of talent and a lot of institutional knowledge. They lost Stefan Noesen. They watched Jake Guentzel choose a conference rival, despite their overtures for him to stay.

New GM Eric Tulsky leads a brilliant front office that did what it could to fill those holes or prevent new ones from opening up, like getting Martin Necas on a two-year bridge contract. I like William Carrier as a part of the Jordan Staal line. I'm less convinced that Sean Walker and Shayne Gostisbehere make up for what they lost on the blue line.

There are also lingering questions about their returning lineup, from Jesperi Kotkaniemi's viability as a second-line center; to Frederik Andersen's health and Pyotr Kochetkov's readiness to be "the guy"; to whether we're finally seeing the decline of Brent Burns as an offensive force.

I say they miss the playoffs by a hair. A brief step back before a leap forward with the next wave of Hurricanes, in players like defensemen Alexander Nikishin and Scott Morrow and forwards like Bradly Nadeau. I'm probably very wrong on this one. I'd actually like to be wrong on this one, because watching playoff hockey in Raleigh is a true perk of this gig. But the prediction is made.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It's his legitimate pick

East playoff teams are

Toronto
Florida
Tampa
Boston
Buffalo
New York R
New Jersey
New York I

With regards to the playoffs, can't see Philadelphia missing the playoffs; might be the favorite to win their division.

As for the Canes, opening night roster looks light on scoring (though under Rod Brind' Amour they've always been a stronger than the sum of their parts club). Is it likely Bradly Nadeau has an impact this year or will he spend the season in the AHL?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
With regards to the playoffs, can't see Philadelphia missing the playoffs; might be the favorite to win their division.

As for the Canes, opening night roster looks light on scoring (though under Rod Brind' Amour they've always been a stronger than the sum of their parts club). Is it likely Bradly Nadeau has an impact this year or will he spend the season in the AHL?
Philly the favorite to win the metro? I’ll admit to not having paid much attention to them this last summer but did I miss something huge?

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Philly the favorite to win the metro? I’ll admit to not having paid much attention to them this last summer but did I miss something huge?
Michkov coming over is pretty big for them, and they have a decent group of forwards, but the defense is questionable and with Hart's legal issues, the goalies aren't great either.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

More interested in Nadeau (as well as Suzuki and Blake).

But with regards to the Flyers, they could have made the playoffs last year before stumbling at the end.

While the teams in front of them have stagnated or lost players, the Flyers added players - both through recovery from injury and signings.

Goaltending should be stronger with Ersson not having to carry too large a load.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
What, you mean the contract shenanigans we did to exactly optimize Fast's LTIR were shenanigans and didn't actually mean anything about the actual roster?

I'd be very surprised if they ever sent Blake any closer to Chicago than the local Uno's.
sorry, if i've learned one thing over the last few years, the canes only waive guys at the beginning of the season because they don't want them on the team. like martinook that one time. or ned.

why would anyone think we have smart people maximizing cap gymnastics?

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad