News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know I should know this, but who is Mike Forman and what did he do?

EDIT: I clicked on the link above and see he was the chief marketing officer. Explains why I didn't know him. Other than Walt, Waddell, Tulsky, Yorke, I don't know /pay attention to most of the front office.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I know I should know this, but who is Mike Forman and what did he do?

EDIT: I clicked on the link above and see he was the chief marketing officer. Explains why I didn't know him. Other than Walt, Waddell, Tulsky, Yorke, I don't know /pay attention to most of the front office.
He was the Chief Marketing Officer for the Canes. While winning means a lot for selling seats, this guy is also a huge reason as to why we sell out every single game now. He’s tremendously improved the reach of the Hurricanes marketing program & off ice operations of the team.

I do occasional work for the Canes and Mike Forman is as good as it gets behind the scenes. I’m sure Canes staff will be bummed with his departure. And I’m surprised myself that we’re not seeing him move into that team president role.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He was the Chief Marketing Officer for the Canes. While winning means a lot for selling seats, this guy is also a huge reason as to why we sell out every single game now.
I don't buy that he's a "huge" reason. Winning is what fills seats. When you have a good product, it's easy to market it.

I'm not saying he didn't contribute or that he's not good at his job, but in professional sports, the top 3 things that fill seats is 1) winning. 2)winning. 3) winning.
He’s tremendously improved the reach of the Hurricanes marketing program & off ice operations of the team.

I do occasional work for the Canes and Mike Forman is as good as it gets behind the scenes. I’m sure Canes staff will be bummed with his departure. And I’m surprised myself that we’re not seeing him move into that team president role.
That's all fair and like I said, I suspect he was very good at his job.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I don't buy that he's a "huge" reason. Winning is what fills seats. When you have a good product, it's easy to market it.

I'm not saying he didn't contribute or that he's not good at his job, but in professional sports, the top 3 things that fill seats is 1) winning. 2)winning. 3) winning.

That's all fair and like I said, I suspect he was very good at his job.
I'm still going to stick with he's a "huge" reason for why we "sell out" every game now. I agree winning is absolutely your #1 marketing tool, but winning won't always sell every single ticket. I can point to you the teams that have made the playoffs lately and not sell out every single regular season game. Starting with your Stanley Cup finalists Florida. *Also looks like the Oilers didn't sell out every game either, but I don't know how accurate that is. Or we can point to how we couldn't even sell out games the year after we won the freaking cup.

Sure a perennial playoff team like us you'll get those easy 14-17K in the stands no matter what. But it's that final 2-3K where the marketing & sales needs to be done. Having a very good CMO like Forman is difference from having a attendance year like we did the post cup season vs how we have sold out 61 straight regular season games.

We can also thank him for contributing to the rise of our season tickets by building up demand even further lol. Tho again, most of the blame falls on the team on the ice for being good, year in and year out.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Pyotr 4th in rookie voting
Tweets haven't been loading well for me in HF lately, so a screenshot for y'all fine people:

1719533926380.png

But seriously, I don't love that Bedard ran away with it by that much. He was good, for sure, but Koochie should have drawn at least a few 1st place votes. Much, much harder to make an impact as a rookie goalie on an elite team than a random forward who doesn't care about defense on a bottom feeder.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Tweets haven't been loading well for me in HF lately, so a screenshot for y'all fine people:
. . .

But seriously, I don't love that Bedard ran away with it by that much. He was good, for sure, but Koochie should have drawn at least a few 1st place votes. Much, much harder to make an impact as a rookie goalie on an elite team than a random forward who doesn't care about defense on a bottom feeder.

I know they're both rookies but I wonder how much of that gap might have been influenced in some voters minds by the fact that Koochie was 24 years old with 33 prior NHL games under his belt vs. Bedard playing his first at 18 years old.

Last edited:

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I know they're both rookies but I wonder how much that gap might have been influenced in some voters minds by the fact that Koochie was 24 years old with 33 prior NHL games under his belt vs. Bedard playing his first at 18 years old.
I'm quite sure that factored into peoples votes. Much like Skinner vs Couture way back when.

Plus, I'd guess some voters probably credited PKs numbers to being on such a good team known for their defense as opposed to being a big reason why they were such a good team.

Reactions: geehaad and cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad