Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Just seeing the preview it sounds like he’s just saying the same stuff the majority of us who have seen all-time terrible rosters warn.

Considering how miserable it gets here for teams that miss the playoffs in the last week I can’t wait to see how some of you hold up to a team that wins once a month.
I think a lot of people forget or simply weren't fans during 2001-02, 2002-03, and 2003-04....especially that last year.

Dick Tarnstrom is a meme for some, not the cold reality that he really did lead the Penguins in points in 03-04. The Pens had one 20-goal scorer in 2003-04. And at one point, they lost 18 straight games.

I'm fine with turning the page, but I am not looking forward to truly shitty hockey.

How do you live with the cope?
Zen and the Art of Hockey Fandom.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think a lot of people forget or simply weren't fans during 2001-02, 2002-03, and 2003-04....especially that last year.

Dick Tarnstrom is a meme for some, not the cold reality that he really did lead the Penguins in points in 03-04. The Pens had one 20-goal scorer in 2003-04. And at one point, they lost 18 straight games.

I'm fine with turning the page, but I am not looking forward to truly shitty hockey.

I think a lot of people look fondly back on that time period because we got out of it so quickly.

The percentage of that happening in this league and in our division is microscopic.

Zen and the Art of Hockey Fandom.

So drugs?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
1719806227934.gif

Reactions: Gurglesons

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So drugs?
No drugs. No booze.

I simply don't get as emotionally invested in wins and losses. I try to treat sports strictly as entertainment. I'm still a fan (why else would I be on HF?), but if the Pens lose or they become awful, it doesn't impact my day. If it's truly bad, I stop watching every game and just follow from more of a distance. That's the only way I could still follow the Pirates. I used to be a diehard, but after they refused to invest in the team following three straight playoff trips and cut payroll, I had enough.

I still enjoy talking to other fans. I like the community nature of message boards. And I like arguing.

But sports are just entertainment for me now. That's how I cope.

Reactions: Sideline

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like I’ll be able to more content when we’re truly, truly bad compared to now. At least then we’ll have a defined direction and can look forward to high first rounders and following potentially good prospects. Plus every game I’ll have the mindset of…well, if we win that’s great but if we lose, better draft odds. Instead of now having some sort of expectations and being frustratingly let down the last few years.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I’m expecting, almost the exact same team will be iced next season. Depressing but it is what it is at this point.

Will continue to cheer for the team and for a new Crosby deal/him continuing his awesome play.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
No drugs. No booze.

I simply don't get as emotionally invested in wins and losses. I try to treat sports strictly as entertainment. I'm still a fan (why else would I be on HF?), but if the Pens lose or they become awful, it doesn't impact my day. If it's truly bad, I stop watching every game and just follow from more of a distance. That's the only way I could still follow the Pirates. I used to be a diehard, but after they refused to invest in the team following three straight playoff trips and cut payroll, I had enough.

I still enjoy talking to other fans. I like the community nature of message boards. And I like arguing.

But sports are just entertainment for me now. That's how I cope.

So you are a sociopath.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like I’ll be able to more content when we’re truly, truly bad compared to now. At least then we’ll have a defined direction and can look forward to high first rounders and following potentially good prospects. Plus every game I’ll have the mindset of…well, if we win that’s great but if we lose, better draft odds. Instead of now having some sort of expectations and being frustratingly let down the last few years.

I think Penguins fans are in a for a rude awakening when it comes to this.

We haven't seen that level of crap since before 83. It's been 40 years.

I worked in Phoenix for many years right after 2012. It wasn't pretty.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have no incentive to attract talent. They had Lemieux and Crosby and barely could do it with them.

They'll have their legacy, but look at how that has worked out for a team like Detroit.

It's really easy to say after this core that it'll be easier to root for them, but it's going to be a grind of mediocrity without the enjoyment of the star players even at their age that we have now.

Look at Philadelphia over the last 14 years. My father was a diehard fan since 74. He hardly even cares about them at this point due to their lack of success.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Not that I want to double down on Smith’s performance last year, but I wonder whether there’s any appetite to reunite Smith and Marchessault.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Iginla -> Kovalchuk -> Stamkos.

This will work for the Kings.
I’d love to see Stammer take a 1 year, team friendly deal to sign with the Panthers given all the noise/drama about Tampa never giving him his due when he left money on the table for his previous contract.

Who will Vegas treat like absolute shit to be able to sign Stamkos?
Sounds like Pietrangelo/Theodore based on what you read on the main boards.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
This Pens team coaching staff and I guess Dubas as well appears to be having problems letting go of Jarry or making decisions on some players mainly defensive but sure I'm glad they did not give Geuntzel that ridiculous contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad