News from Around the NHL 2014-2015 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Caps won. Pens got a point. And the Rangers are up 3-1 late in the third against Anaheim. Not a good day for us.

This infuriates me. The Rags and Caps trending big time and our guys see fit to go out and half-ass 2 straight games that easily, and I am not overstating when I say easily, could have taken.
Now the foul breathe of these two teams is down their neck and the fat lead they had is evaporating. They have games in hand and we can't find the net or keep it out of ours. Scrubs are scoring on us.
There is still a long way to go, but this did not have to be. We did not have to give up a fat lead because of lazy, undisciplined play against bad teams. Did I say I am furious? :rant:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This infuriates me. The Rags and Caps trending big time and our guys see fit to go out and half-ass 2 straight games that easily, and I am not overstating when I say easily, could have taken.
Now the foul breathe of these two teams is down their neck and the fat lead they had is evaporating. They have games in hand and we can't find the net or keep it out of ours. Scrubs are scoring on us.
There is still a long way to go, but this did not have to be. We did not have to give up a fat lead because of lazy, undisciplined play against bad teams. Did I say I am furious? :rant:

The Rags have a lot of games in hand, so the lead was misleading to begin with. They are taking care of business so far on their end, but we can right the ship and put a bit more of a cushion in the coming days. All of the upcoming schedule is divisional games, so we'll see where these guys want to be. At the top of the division or squeaking into the playoffs.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

If our coach turns into a pumpkin by Valentines Day then yeah its time for some people to be fired.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Caps won. Pens got a point. And the Rangers are up 3-1 late in the third against Anaheim. Not a good day for us.

Isles need to pull their heads out of their ***** and fast. I don't wanna hear any lip service about needing to play better and then coming out and doing jack ****. It's gut check time. They need to realize what's at stake. If they don't start winning, this team is gonna be in the familiar spot which is on the outside looking in.
Also, why is it every time the team loses, they lose like 3 in a row?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I don't know, but every time we win we also win like 4-5 in a row so I'll sign off on that any day.

Yes, the trend has largely been to win a string of games, drop 2-3 in a row, win another string games. Hopefully they limit it to 2 losses this time.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, the trend has largely been; win a string of games, drop 2-3 in a row, win another string games. Hopefully they limit it to 2 losses this time.

Exactly. As long as we don't stack losses (3 or more) we'll be fine.

Also we're 6-3-1 in our last 10 so the chicken littles in here need to calm down a bit.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Exactly. As long as we don't stack losses (3 or more) we'll be fine.

Also we're 6-3-1 in our last 10 so the chicken littles in here need to calm down a bit.

The thing that freaks everyone out is that when they lose, they look absolutely terrible doing so. I think most people can handle a loss when they put in a good effort. It's when they don't show up to play when everyone starts having flashbacks of years past.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Personally I prefer these two losses due to low effort over the last group where they blew big leads in the third. That really was a flashback to years past.

The problem, looking forward, is that losing games in small bunches does not bode well for the playoffs. One bad stretch like this in a playoff series means you're done.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
The thing that freaks everyone out is that when they lose, they look absolutely terrible doing so. I think most people can handle a loss when they put in a good effort. It's when they don't show up to play when everyone starts having flashbacks of years past.

The team is still young, we're going to have nights like that. Not to mention every team in the league has an "Edmonton" night or two over the course of an 82 game season. The team has bounced back well from bad losses previously, so I expect them to do the same.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don't know, but every time we win we also win like 4-5 in a row so I'll sign off on that any day.

The problem is, we were winning DESPITE Capuano. Now that we are experiencing a little turbulance, we don't have a coach good enough to motivate the troops. yeah, they will win a few in a row, lose a few in a row, and continue to do this the rest of the season, most likely make the playoffs, but our coach is a HUGE handicap.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I do not think it is Chicken Little at all.
It is a matter of keeping pace, or ahead of pace and letting the laggers try to battle their way back.

I think what we are seeing is that the Metro division is not the red headed step-child the prognosticators said it was. We Metro division has 5 very good hockey teams that have proven themselves against the Western Conference teams. The Western Conference may have the more elite teams at the very top, but the East is a very competitive situation as we are seeing shape up. The Pens, Islanders, Rangers, Caps are proof of that. In the Atlantic the Bolts, Habs, Red Wings have shown a lot of game, and the Bruins, Jackets, and Panthers are making moves.
Nothing will be a cakewalk in any conference or division from here to the end.

It is not that the team lost 2 games out of four that is troubling. What is troubling is the way they looked, how they didn't execute, against teams that are both not very good (in the case of the Oil, by their record, terrible) and the fact that neither of those two teams played very well themselves in those games. They did't just rise up or have a hot goalie stand on his head with a spectacular performance. They were both begging us to take the win and skate away.

The Islander as a team just did not execute or make enough of an effort to take what was given. The cost for that is not keeping pace with two hot pursuing teams. which would make the task of playoffs easier to accomplish for us, and much more difficult for them.
Now it is a matter of momentum, and we look dazed and confused and without any momentum. The rest of January is a tough schedule and now is not the time to let up.

So far this season the team has bounced back from disappointing losses with a 3 or 4 game winning streak. They will need to do that again, need to sort out whatever it was that made them go to sleep in those games. The record is good, but the competition is good also and have thrown down a challenge. The next few games, ending with a showdown with the Rags will tell a lot about what this group can do this year, how much they want to play in late April and May.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Anyone remember Philly fans calling sour grapes on us when we warned them about AMac? Well, now he's a healthy scratch... for the second time this season.

And, mind you, he is being scratched on a defense with Luke Schenn, Grossman, Del Zotto, Schultz, and Colaiacovo.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/08/macdonald-expected-to-be-healthy-scratch-versus-caps/

How many more years is he signed for? LOL

Good for AMAC. He robbed PHI without a gun and a mask...lmao

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If Boychuk resigns with us that deal is going to look even worse.

Jettisoned off an expendable player to a division rival who gives him a huge contract, then flips the pick we got back for a vast improvement, both offensively and defensively.

I'd feel bad but then I remember how douchey some Flyers fans are.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
I do not think it is Chicken Little at all.
It is a matter of keeping pace, or ahead of pace and letting the laggers try to battle their way back.

I think what we are seeing is that the Metro division is not the red headed step-child the prognosticators said it was. We Metro division has 5 very good hockey teams that have proven themselves against the Western Conference teams. The Western Conference may have the more elite teams at the very top, but the East is a very competitive situation as we are seeing shape up. The Pens, Islanders, Rangers, Caps are proof of that. In the Atlantic the Bolts, Habs, Red Wings have shown a lot of game, and the Bruins, Jackets, and Panthers are making moves.
Nothing will be a cakewalk in any conference or division from here to the end.

It is not that the team lost 2 games out of four that is troubling. What is troubling is the way they looked, how they didn't execute, against teams that are both not very good (in the case of the Oil, by their record, terrible) and the fact that neither of those two teams played very well themselves in those games. They did't just rise up or have a hot goalie stand on his head with a spectacular performance. They were both begging us to take the win and skate away.

Vancouver has 4 less points that we do with two games in hand, and sit second in their division. I don't get the assertion that they aren't a good team? They have as many points as the Caps (who you were just touting) do with one less game played. Their Tortorella days are long behind them.

The Islander as a team just did not execute or make enough of an effort to take what was given. The cost for that is not keeping pace with two hot pursuing teams. which would make the task of playoffs easier to accomplish for us, and much more difficult for them.
Now it is a matter of momentum, and we look dazed and confused and without any momentum. The rest of January is a tough schedule and now is not the time to let up.

So far this season the team has bounced back from disappointing losses with a 3 or 4 game winning streak. They will need to do that again, need to sort out whatever it was that made them go to sleep in those games. The record is good, but the competition is good also and have thrown down a challenge. The next few games, ending with a showdown with the Rags will tell a lot about what this group can do this year, how much they want to play in late April and May.

At this point, on January 8th, it's way too early to care what other teams are doing. They'll ebb and flow just like we do. On March 8th that discussion will be a bit more relevant. This place gets too high whenever we win, and far, far too low whenever this team loses. It's the most schizo board I've ever been a part of.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
How many more years is he signed for? LOL

Good for AMAC. He robbed PHI without a gun and a mask...lmao

PHI does a lot of rush to judgment deals. They are going to be dearly for that for the next couple of seasons.

I was in favor to resigning AMac for the sole reason that typically the alternatives were WORSE players. Somehow Snow pulled off a coup for Leddy/Boychuk just before the season. Absent those deals, this team is not where they are in standings by any means.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Watched a good chunk of the Chi/Min game tonight and it's clear our team still has a lot more maturing to do. They way Chicago plays is so efficient, it's almost like they know where to be before they have to be there. You can tell they have some serious chemistry on their breakouts and PP, where as I just don't see that with us.

What's crazy is we are still winning games at a high rate, so I'm not worried really. Just making an observation.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Watched a good chunk of the Chi/Min game tonight and it's clear our team still has a lot more maturing to do. They way Chicago plays is so efficient, it's almost like they know where to be before they have to be there. You can tell they have some serious chemistry on their breakouts and PP, where as I just don't see that with us.

What's crazy is we are still winning games at a high rate, so I'm not worried really. Just making an observation.

Coaching, that's the difference. Q knows what he's doing and isn't learning on the job.

LA already up 2-0 vs the Rags in the battle of the Tanners.

2-1 now after a good bounce for the Rags on a PP shot from Boyle. The 70's line looks look for the Kings tonight. It's worth noting that Lundqvist is not playing tonight.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
3-2 now,freakin' Rags :facepalm: They better come back to earth in a fiery crash soon....and hopefully it starts with us.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Coaching, that's the difference. Q knows what he's doing and isn't learning on the job.

2-1 now after a good bounce for the Rags on a PP shot from Boyle. The 70's line looks look for the Kings tonight. It's worth noting that Lundqvist is not playing tonight.

The Rags are not messing around right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad