News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2024-25

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Link? Haven't seen anything about it but heard he might be going somewhere.
My big guess is Carolina - they probably realized they need an adult in the room there with nhl clout and connections. The owner and spreadsheet model didn’t last long.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
When the player has no interest in the playing for you, well, doesn’t matter what assets you have or their quality.

You are acting like a prospect that nets you Stone, doesn't have any value or other worth? It wasn't Stone or bust. Even if they don't trade him for Stone, another impactful trade could have been made. Snow burnt that pick, miscalculated in resigning his RFAs, didn't even maximize cap space for the year, AND it was one less asset to potentially use to improve the team later.

But you need the money to get in the game. The loss of a comparable asset to Dobson in Brännström, who the Isles clearly weren't trading, left them out altogether.

Based on what I heard, Stone had the Isles as the second choice, behind Vegas. He didn't have a clause to stop a trade anywhere, it was just if he would sign an extension immediately or not with the acquiring team.

The Isles couldn't top Vegas' offer, so no trade could be made. But who knows if a reduced cost, and multiple young defensemen in the system, would have pushed Lou to make the trade anyway and deal with the contract extension later?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I always appreciate your posts, and think you offer a very balanced, but deep analysis that is often not reflective of the hyperbole in the age of social media. But from my recollection of reports during that time, Stone was going to find a way on VGK no matter what.

I honestly don't feel that having Brannstrom would've have changed the Isles ability of acquiring Stone. In fact, if we chase the notion of "what if." What if the Isles had drafted Brannstrom, would...
  • They still be in a position to even draft Dobson the following year?
  • Ottawa insisted on Dobson over Brannstrom?
  • The Isles be short Nelson and Dobson, but have Stone and Brannstrom?
  • VGK have selected Nelson, then traded him as the principle part for Stone?

Thank you, I answered some of it in my follow-up post. Stone might have eventually ended up in Vegas but, as I recall, he did not have a NMC or NTC so it might have been Lou's appetite to make the trade, make a run and work out the contract later. To answer some of your "What If's" -

• Brannstrom is a LHD and Dobson is a RHD, so I don't think one would impact selecting the other, especially if they stick to BPA on their draft board.
  • Well, Brannstrom got it done so, with Vegas potentially out an asset, who would have topped what they ultimately took, if the Isles held firm?
  • The Isles might have lost Nelson but it could have just been Strome or de Haan, maybe more so, and neither would have ultimately been a big loss. This version of Nelson was a 20-20 guy and not near as reliable.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
  • Haha
Reactions: LeapOnOver

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Trotz is just f$%&ing with us now...

1720041379875.png

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
You are acting like a prospect that nets you Stone, doesn't have any value or other worth? It wasn't Stone or bust. Even if they don't trade him for Stone, another impactful trade could have been made.
GMing is a largely markovian process. This idea of gathering a bunch of unrelated decisions in order to connect them to one event is just intellectually dishonest.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
View attachment 892210

Goney gone gone

Stays in the division.

Interesting seeing STL get paid to acquire Joseph and then going out and signing his Dman brother.

Wat a letdown from promising early years in Columbus . . . and Hadyn Fleury just signed a two-way contract . . . #7 overall pick in 2014.

Two more examples of why a total rebuild is so fraught with risk of getting it wrong.

Reactions: Potvottier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad