News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Babcock is not happy. Friedman said this, but one could easily deduce this themselves, when you read his lobbying for a heavier team, when Dumbass traded for Petan, more small skill over Lindholm. And he didn't address the right defence gap, and the lack of depth Babcock wanted. You can see the storm clouds coming. One thing I do know, is Babcock, Lou and Hunter had a great working relationship. This is now gone with the hiring of Dubas. It may not be a firing, but a mutually divorce of the 2. Who wins? Is anyone's guess?
Eventually it may come to that but I doubt it happens this year. Also, a little tension isn't necessarily a bad thing.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I know we're desperate for a 2C and he's not *this* bad but Duchene has 3 goals and 3 assists in 15 games with CBus. Very curious about what type of player he'll be after he signs his UFA deal.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I love tension. Especially if it involves the Laffs. Right @PWJunior ? :laugh:

It's funny that the Isles are a better run organization than they are. Lou and Trotz appear to be in lock step while Babcock and Dubas may not see eye to eye. It wasn't hard to see something like this happening, an old school and decorated coach vs. a neophyte new school GM with a minor league resume. Clash of style and differing levels of respect. Where is Shanahan in all of this? What exactly does he do?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's funny that the Isles are a better run organization than they are. Lou and Trotz appear to be in lock step while Babcock and Dubas may not see eye to eye. It wasn't hard to see something like this happening, an old school and decorated coach vs. a neophyte new school GM with a minor league resume. Clash of style and differing levels of respect. Where is Shanahan in all of this? What exactly does he do?
Shanahan made the big boo boo here. Signing Lou would have made Babcock happy, and Hunter would have stayed. Nylander and Matthews would not be signed to outlier contracts. And the Leafs would have a decent back up goalie, plus some team toughness. The Leafs loss is the Isles gain.

Lou and Barry are lock step on the same page. And Lou has already begun the process of rebuilding the Isles hockey Ops with Greco, Korn. Lambert additions to name a few.

Babcock had to speak out today to put some water over the firestorm. When he said all families have disagreements. And I am paraphrasing since I hear it on radio. He basically confirmed their was tension. Lol love it. Isles are better off front office wise than the greatest show on ice.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I know we're desperate for a 2C and he's not *this* bad but Duchene has 3 goals and 3 assists in 15 games with CBus. Very curious about what type of player he'll be after he signs his UFA deal.

I don't think it really matters, because everything I've read or seen or heard from him screams not a New York guy. Also, he's going to get paid as a first line center, and that probably doesn't fit NYI's salary structure. All in all there are very few quality UFA centers. Many on this list aren't even true centers anymore:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Really, it's just Duchene, Hayes, and Nelson who could play top-6 roles. The rest are better as wings or are bottom-6 players (Johansson, Brassard, Wilson).

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Tough situation he is in. Come to a new team 3/4s of the way through the season and expected to perform. I thought he looked pretty good against us. 10 million a year seems like a stretch....

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tough situation he is in. Come to a new team 3/4s of the way through the season and expected to perform. I thought he looked pretty good against us. 10 million a year seems like a stretch....

Duchene just seems to be one of those guys who would be fantastic as the 2C behind an elite/franchise 1C, but falls apart if he's got to be the team's best center.

The problem is he wants to be paid like he's a 1C. If Duchene was asking for somewhere in the $7 million range, then I think a team with an existing 1C could handle that. But if he's asking for $9+ million, that's a lot of dough to be paying a guy who is your 2C (and not just in name only, like a guy like Malkin is "2C" in Pittsburgh).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Duchene just seems to be one of those guys who would be fantastic as the 2C behind an elite/franchise 1C, but falls apart if he's got to be the team's best center.

The problem is he wants to be paid like he's a 1C. If Duchene was asking for somewhere in the $7 million range, then I think a team with an existing 1C could handle that. But if he's asking for $9+ million, that's a lot of dough to be paying a guy who is your 2C (and not just in name only, like a guy like Malkin is "2C" in Pittsburgh).

This has been my sentiment on him for a couple of years now.
Going to be interesting to see what he signs for.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This has been my sentiment on him for a couple of years now.
Going to be interesting to see what he signs for.

personally I think doooooch is a heck of a hockey player and would make our team much better in the long run. It's not my money, sign the man! Half joking ofcourse

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
personally I think doooooch is a heck of a hockey player and would make our team much better in the long run. It's not my money, sign the man! Half joking ofcourse

I’d take him in a heartbeat and would love to have him but he’s not a $10+ mil per year player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe Barzal will magically turn back into one next year? What’s the prerequisites? 80+ pts? 79 pts or less would mean regression. Points points points! All about the points!

It depends. Sometimes the measurement is P1/60, sometimes it's "pace per 82 games", sometimes it's most goals per game.

Reactions: Instant

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No, but you seem to have a predilection for obviously wrong opinions. Like wanting an unrepentant domestic abuser playing for your team, or discounting the point of view of a winning coach in favor of a first year GM. Not that these are really comparable in egregiousness, but there's a pattern of judgment.
And you have a flair for the dramatic and a general sense of exaggeration. None of those things are true, but I guess that's what comes out after rattling around in that fantasy brain of yours.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I like this for two reasons, Washington losing and caddyshack.
neck-lama-nervousness-FW217kw3HvM7S

Reactions: eoin92

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I guess this is the best place to put these pearls of hockey wisdom from James Tanner, Super Genius:

"Even the Lightning, as good as their doing, have their problems. Their roster isn't perfect. They rely on high PDO and a high PP Shooting Percentage for a part of their success. If they start the playoffs against Columbus - who have a great roster and potentially depending on which Bobrovsky shows up, a great goalie. But overall, I guess I'd be the most concerned about Boston because they have to play the Leafs who haven't played their optimal lineup for a full game this year and are still in sixth place. They are secretly the NHL's best team and will win the Cup. Everyone has problems but the Leafs when healthy are going to be nearly unbeatable."

HockeyBuzz.com - HockeyBuzz Hotstove - Which contender should be most concerned heading into the playoffs?

He is the trainwreck of hockey "journalism".

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I guess this is the best place to put these pearls of hockey wisdom from James Tanner, Super Genius:

"Even the Lightning, as good as their doing, have their problems. Their roster isn't perfect. They rely on high PDO and a high PP Shooting Percentage for a part of their success. If they start the playoffs against Columbus - who have a great roster and potentially depending on which Bobrovsky shows up, a great goalie. But overall, I guess I'd be the most concerned about Boston because they have to play the Leafs who haven't played their optimal lineup for a full game this year and are still in sixth place. They are secretly the NHL's best team and will win the Cup. Everyone has problems but the Leafs when healthy are going to be nearly unbeatable."

HockeyBuzz.com - HockeyBuzz Hotstove - Which contender should be most concerned heading into the playoffs?

He is the trainwreck of hockey "journalism".
According you Natural Stat Trick, the Lightning have the 3rd highest PDO, behind the Islanders and (you guessed it), the Maple Leafs

This guy... this guy is something

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I expect he will be back to scoring 55-60 pts a season.
Some desperate GM, is gonna badly overpay him in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad