GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS VS PHILADELPHIA FLYERS AT PPL CENTER ON SEPTEMBER 13 2024 7 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Edstrom so close for the hat trick.

Flyers announcers saying Rangers have a good pipeline while still making deep runs. Not a lot of organizations do that
Drury's pick are all just becoming pros. He's not picking star players, he's picking useful depth players who will hopefully be cost controlled, productive, and clutch. That's how you stay a playoff team for a decade.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Flyers have 4/5 guys tonight that 'might' (operative word) be able to compete for an NHL job this year on a team that's probably not going to be a playoff team again. I'd say Michkov probably makes their team though he might see some AHL time too. He's 19. The others who could possibly get NHL time this year--Emil Andrae, Desnoyers, Tuomaala and maybe that's about it. Bonk and Luchanko are 1st round guys but eligible to go back to the CHL. It's likely they both need at least another year if not 2/3. They like McDonald. They have a lot of good prospects here but a number of them are still very very young.

So to infer that based off tonight or even what happens tomorrow someone playing for the Rangers this weekend has earned an NHL job it's a real reach. The real exhibition games will be against teams with a third to half to full NHL rosters not kids with 18/19 year old drafteess and first year AHL players and tryouts from wherever. Most all the players are good players but no one playing tonight is a proven NHL player.

That said Edstrom is 24 years old now. He's got size and real NHL strength and he skates really well and with speed. He's not really a point producer. Not saying he's the most skilled guy for us tonight but he is good away from the puck and of the group we have in Philly he's the closest to the NHL right now. He just barreled right through the Flyers team tonight. He's a man now, a big, strong man who can really skate and most of the Flyers playing tonight are not filled out or strong enough to handle him and it's obvious he knew it and took advantage of that. Just his size, strength and skating will present a problem to a real NHL d-man. That's not an easy player to play against. Players his size aren't supposed to move around like that. He's not going to barrel through an NHL defense though but when he uses his size he can wear defenses down.

Robertson and Mancini were our best defenders tonight like they should have been. It seemed to me they got the lion's share of time against Michkov and Luchanko. Othmann, Berard and Sykora were all okay. Vaisanen with a big goal. For some of the new guys this was a get your feet wet game.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I didn't watch any of this, but I've seen conflicting takes on Mancini. Skating is definitely a strength of his. Like, you would maybe put it #1 on a list of things he's good at. If he struggled moving around tonight it was probably an aberration.

Chmelar is pronounced like H-mel-ash. With that throaty H. I mean that's as close as a native English-speaking tongue is going to get.

Vaisanen is in Liiga for somewhat unclear reasons. If he was still under contract to his Liiga team for this season, then the Rangers would have had to offer him back on loan. However, I didn't think he was, and his Liiga team was TPS, and he was loaned instead to Ilves. So it's either something related to the transfer agreement, or the Rangers just thought him playing another year in Finland was the right move.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I didn't watch any of this, but I've seen conflicting takes on Mancini. Skating is definitely a strength of his. Like, you would maybe put it #1 on a list of things he's good at. If he struggled moving around tonight it was probably an aberration.

Chmelar is pronounced like H-mel-ash. With that throaty H. I mean that's as close as a native English-speaking tongue is going to get.

Vaisanen is in Liiga for somewhat unclear reasons. If he was still under contract to his Liiga team for this season, then the Rangers would have had to offer him back on loan. However, I didn't think he was, and his Liiga team was TPS, and he was loaned instead to Ilves. So it's either something related to the transfer agreement, or the Rangers just thought him playing another year in Finland was the right move.

Czech players whose names end with ar and it's pronounced ash. Sam as well as most the rest of us are going to have to be coached in how to pronounce his name right.

Vaisanen's been in Liiga two/three seasons now. He hasn't put up a lot of offense but his second half last year it seemed like the points started coming easier. Two WJC's for him also. He had some good opportunities last night.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Reading post game comments from the Flyers coach.....it sounds like Michkov's not playing today.

I'm kind of thinking Edstrom might not either. That was man vs. boys for him last night. Mancini might not go again either. Definitely not Garand.

I'm kind of thinking Ollas and Boyko will split the game. Dufort, Barbashev, Berger and Van Vliet will all play.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Czech players whose names end with ar and it's pronounced ash. Sam as well as most the rest of us are going to have to be coached in how to pronounce his name right.

Vaisanen's been in Liiga two/three seasons now. He hasn't put up a lot of offense but his second half last year it seemed like the points started coming easier. Two WJC's for him also. He had some good opportunities last night.
Yeah I remember Stan Neckar, first guy that came to mind. If I remember, his name was pronounced "ness-cash" or something really close to that.
We need to ask a Czech person obviously. My research gives me a boring "Shmeh-lar", no "KH"-sound.

Also it apparently means hop maker. Which is nice.

H-mel-ash is how it was said in all the games I watched. There's also an interview with him which I can't find where he says his own name very clearly, and while it's not quite like the guy in the video, it's the same general phonetics.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Yeah I remember Stan Neckar, first guy that came to mind. If I remember, his name was pronounced "ness-cash" or something really close to that.

H-mel-ash is how it was said in all the games I watched. There's also an interview with him which I can't find where he says his own name very clearly, and while it's not quite like the guy in the video, it's the same general phonetics.

the real tragedy is that we're unlikely to get to hear sam try to solve this riddle

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I was trying to remember Neckar.

Chmelar speaks English really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad