Seravalli: New Jersey Devils have been after Boeser for a few years now.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Great. Devils and Canucks fans are going to be arguing for the next 2-3 weeks.

I don't know, I've found discussions with Devils fans much more reasonable then other fanbases lately, and we've had a few Garland/Boeser threads already. I don't think we're good trade partners, as we are both short on the same positions, but both fan bases seem to recognize this so don't push their ideal situation on the other if they're told it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't really think that this is a big deal or anything. Makes sense that we had interest in the past...but as said in the OP, we don't even know if this was current / previous regime. May not have anything to do with where either team is at now.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know, I've found discussions with Devils fans much more reasonable then other fanbases, and we've had a few Garland/Boeser threads already. I don't think we're good trade partners, as we are both short on the same positions, but both fan bases seem to recognize this so don't push their ideal situation on the other if their told it doesn't work.

Devils can definitely meet the Canucks value-wise for Garland and Boeser after accumulating so many prospects in recent years. Seems like from a need perspective it doesn’t exactly align with what Canucks want.

It would essentially boil down to the Canucks really liking a Devils prospect if there is smoke to the Zacha rumors. Zacha + Bahl/Smith/Okhotiuk/Walsh/Mukhmadullin/Boqvist/etc. isn’t that far off for Garland or Boqvist.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Great. Devils and Canucks fans are going to be arguing for the next 2-3 weeks.
giphy.gif

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Devils can definitely meet the Canucks value-wise for Garland and Boeser after accumulating so many prospects in recent years. Seems like from a need perspective it doesn’t exactly align with what Canucks want.

It would essentially boil down to the Canucks really liking a Devils prospect if there is smoke to the Zacha rumors. Zacha + Bahl/Smith/Okhotiuk/Walsh/Mukhmadullin/Boqvist/etc. isn’t that far off for Garland or Boqvist.

Rutherford has reportedly squashed any rumor that Garland is available. He hasnt done the same for Boeser/Miller.

What do devil fans think of these propsals

1st round pick 2022 (top 3 protected)
3rd round pick 2022
Reilly Walsh

for

Boeser
5th round pick

or

Holtz
2nd round pick
4th round pick

for

Boeser
5th round pick

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
One team will definitely have to bend on what they need vs what they want as both teams have similar organizational needs.
With all these reports of Vancouver being interested in Zacha and the Devils being interested in Boeser, these players being involved makes sense, it's just a matter of what gets added from the Devils side.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

The problem with a Zacha for Boeser trade is that we lose the more valuable skill (goal scoring) for a more well rounded game, further down the line up to be sure. Boeser's QO doesn't scare me either, if we aren't able to negotiate a cheaper, longer deal, it at least buys us a year for about 1.7 more in cap space. If any of the guys listed, aside from Walsh, were right handed, we'd have a great fit for a trade, but we have Hughes, OEL and Rathbone filling out our LHD for the forseeable future, so I don't think the LHD, as good as they will become, are a fit for us. Walsh is the right fit for handedness, but we have a lot of puck movers too, and I think size and physicality or toughness are what we're looking for, similar to Schenn for longer term.

Boquist isn't someone I'm too excited about, mostly because he's only 2 years younger than Garland. Certainly not a bad prospect, but I think we'd need someone younger, so we can sort out our Miller/Horvat/Pettersson/Dickinson/any fourth line player center situation we have. I don't think we'd need someone that can step in right away. We also paid a kings ransom to get Garland on the team this offseason, and he contributes stuff most of our guys don't, so I don't know that we're in a hurry to move him either.

I agree my view is thrown out if Rutherford or some of the new management really like what they see in someone mentioned, but without seeing something through their perspective, it would seem a lot like moving assets we're short on for assets we have in the system, to varying extents, already.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Rutherford has reportedly squashed any rumor that Garland is available. He hasnt done the same for Boeser/Miller.

3rd round pick 2022
Reilly Walsh

for

Boeser
5th round pick

or

Holtz
2nd round pick
4th round pick

for

Boeser
5th round pick

I wouldn’t trade Holtz for Boeser. Holtz is putting up ridiculous numbers at his age in the AHL. His contract likely slides this year too, which means you have him on his ELC for the next three years.

I can’t see the Devils dealing the first either, especially with how horrendous the goaltending has been. If we were looking at a 12-14 finish, it might make some sense, but goaltending is singlehandedly tanking games at the moment.

Last edited:

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
lol, yeah after arguing with Ranger fans, time to move the arguments across the Hudson.
Anyway, I will be very disappointed if Zacha is any kind of centerpiece in the deal, and not sure what else they have we need (Smith and Walsh seem undersized, but I admittedly dont know)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The problem with a Zacha for Boeser trade is that we lose the more valuable skill (goal scoring) for a more well rounded game, further down the line up to be sure. Boeser's QO doesn't scare me either, if we aren't able to negotiate a cheaper, longer deal, it at least buys us a year for about 1.7 more in cap space. If any of the guys listed, aside from Walsh, were right handed, we'd have a great fit for a trade, but we have Hughes, OEL and Rathbone filling out our LHD for the forseeable future, so I don't think the LHD, as good as they will become, are a fit for us. Walsh is the right fit for handedness, but we have a lot of puck movers too, and I think size and physicality or toughness are what we're looking for, similar to Schenn for longer term.

Boquist isn't someone I'm too excited about, mostly because he's only 2 years younger than Garland. Certainly not a bad prospect, but I think we'd need someone younger, so we can sort out our Miller/Horvat/Pettersson/Dickinson/any fourth line player center situation we have. I don't think we'd need someone that can step in right away. We also paid a kings ransom to get Garland on the team this offseason, and he contributes stuff most of our guys don't, so I don't know that we're in a hurry to move him either.

I agree my view is thrown out if Rutherford or some of the new management really like what they see in someone mentioned, but without seeing something through their perspective, it would seem a lot like moving assets we're short on for assets we have in the system, to varying extents, already.

That’s fair. It’s essentially what these Canucks-Devils proposals have gone around in circles on.

I can’t see the Devils giving up 2022 1st, L. Hughes, Holtz, or Mercer. Devils have a solid second tier of prospects beyond that to make a reasonable deal from. But at first glance, it’s not what Canucks would be looking for. Best hope for the Devils is someone in the new Canucks management group eyes a prospect that would finalize a deal.

Devils could realistically take on Dickinson or Poolman if they have to. Dickinson would probably require moving out Johnsson or Kuokkanen separately though.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I wouldn’t trade Holtz for Boeser. Holtz is putting up ridiculous numbers at his age is the AHL. His contract likely slides this year too, which means you have him on his ELC for the next three years.

I can’t see the Devils dealing the first either, especially with how horrendous the goaltending has been. If we were looking at a 12-14 finish, it might make some sense, but goaltending is singlehandedly tanking games at the moment.

If ELC is the reason you wouldnt tade Holtz then fair enough. but if you dont want to trade Holtz for Boeser from a skill and perspective then Id have to disagree.

Yes Holtz is putting up nice numbers at the AHL ( 33 pts in 28 AHL games)..... guess what Boeser was doing at same age...29 goals in 62 games in the NHL.

Boeser has been around for a while now that its easy to forget that he is only 24 yrs old.

Reactions: zcaptain

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I wouldn’t trade Holtz for Boeser. Holtz is putting up ridiculous numbers at his age is the AHL. His contract likely slides this year too, which means you have him on his ELC for the next three years.

Highly doubt you're walking away with Boeser without giving up one of those, but time will tell.

Obviously NJ would prefer to get it done for lesser pieces, but Van is in the driver seat here given he's an RFA and NJ has been after him for years.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
One team will definitely have to bend on what they need vs what they want as both teams have similar organizational needs.
With all these reports of Vancouver being interested in Zacha and the Devils being interested in Boeser, these players being involved makes sense, it's just a matter of what gets added from the Devils side.
A Zacha basis for Boeser would be such an underwhelming and frankly disappointing deal. Addresses very little to no organizational needs.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007

3rd round pick 2022
Reilly Walsh

for

Boeser
5th round pick

or

Holtz
2nd round pick
4th round pick

for

Boeser
5th round pick

Moving the 1st makes some sense, moving Holtz makes no sense. Everything else involved in the offer is just clutter to try and get the scale to balance, I don't know if Fitz is comfortable unloading the 1st for Boeser.

The offer the Devils board is contemplating right now is:
  • Zacha
  • Ty Smith
  • 2nd Rounder 2022
for Boeser

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I don't know, I've found discussions with Devils fans much more reasonable then other fanbases, and we've had a few Garland/Boeser threads already. I don't think we're good trade partners, as we are both short on the same positions, but both fan bases seem to recognize this so don't push their ideal situation on the other if their told it doesn't work.
Thanks!
We are not complete Aholes, I mean yeah we're from Jersey and that's got its own special thing. But I like to think we are somewhat knowledgeable. We dont get it right each time, but most of us have a decent idea of what we do/don't have.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad